Some Folk !

Phil O

Attended caravan storage as arranged, waited for caravan owner to turn up, give em 10 -15 min, 30 min later, coffee drank, further 10 min, right give em a ring,
"hi, it's Phil your caravan valeter, I'm waiting at the storage to valet your caravan, are you going to be long?"
"oh didn't think you'd be there, the weathers been rough this week" -
"Well it's a lovely day, will you be coming over?" -
"no not today, I'm actually doing the Christmas shopping, I'll be there next Saturday 10am" and just rang off !!!!!!
I'll be cancelling my own Christmas shopping day next Saturday now in order to carry out the work but sometimes you just can't believe some folk.

Attended caravan storage as arranged, waited for caravan owner to turn up, give em 10 -15 min, 30 min later, coffee drank, further 10 min, right give em a ring,

"hi, it's Phil your caravan valeter, I'm waiting at the storage to valet your caravan, are you going to be long?"

"no not today, I'm actually doing the Christmas shopping, I'll be there next Saturday 10am" and just rang off !!!!!!

I'll be cancelling my own Christmas shopping day next Saturday now in order to carry out the work but sometimes you just can't believe some folk.

Damn sure I wouldn't be !!!

Nor I. ............We once went from Humberside to London to see someone, by appointment, and after we had waited 30 minutes he shouted from the top of the stairs that he was too busy and if we wanted to come back next week he could see us. ......we didn't and he lost out in the end.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

It's not about "needing the work", naturally all income is welcome, it's more the fact that that there are over 500 caravans stored there and I have excellent working relations with lots of owners, built up over several years and all it takes is just one person giving out negative remarks and all the good work built up can ruin a good reputation. So I'll be there next Saturday, smile on my face and do the job. But he's on a yellow card, if it happens gain then he becomes an "ex customer"

Can't wait til 27th, Broadway CC site for new year.

Edited by Phil O

I see where you're coming from. Just bend over and let 'em shove another broom up where the sun don't shine.

Can't you tell your customer that you're busy next week as you have a life away from work as well?

Good to see you're being positive and looking on the bright side ;) .

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I'd still tell him to shove it. I'm sure if your other customers value you and your work then they'll understand why you billed this person for your wasted time and went your christmas shopping.

Compass Shadow 1988

The joys of being self employed, I am now in my 39th of doing so. It is hard for somebody who has not been this way to understand how it works, you do not have one boss like most employed people buts lots of individual one's.

Self employed is great, you can work the hours you want to, take as much time off as you want, get sick pay, maternity leave and retire early on a massive pension.

Do you get the sarcasm on that last line.

I understand your predicament. make sure before you travel next week you make contact with customer. also I'd add something to the bill for your time this weeks. it must be even more frustrating feeling there is little you can do about it.

macafee2

Dont be too harsh on yourself, I believe you, and Im sure most others will. You sound like an honest chap. :D

The trouble with running your own business is that half the time you take the work simply because there's no promise of work next week or next month.

I would tell him that unfortunately you are employed elsewhere next week but you could possibly fit him in in a month's time! I discovered after running my own business for centuries that actually punters don't value you unless you value yourself. I would certainly add a fee for wasted time. You could have fitted in another job in his place.

All the people who I have appointments with these day from the the dentist to the roofer seem to check with me beforehand - perhaps it's good business practice.

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

It's not about "needing the work", naturally all income is welcome, it's more the fact that that there are over 500 caravans stored there and I have excellent working relations with lots of owners, built up over several years and all it takes is just one person giving out negative remarks and all the good work built up can ruin a good reputation. So I'll be there next Saturday, smile on my face and do the job. But he's on a yellow card, if it happens gain then he becomes an "ex customer"

Cleaning caravans?? :D What a disgusting state of affairs!! The least you should do is charge him for

petrol. (Is he one of us?? :ph34r: )

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Cleaning caravans?? :D What a disgusting state of affairs!!

Suppose somebody's got to do it !!

The joys of being self employed, retire early on a massive pension.

I've already done one, 30yrs fire service, tho its not as massive as the government make out, hence the business.

At the very least a call out fee for your wasted time.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

Tis true an unhappy customer tells everybody they meet,good luck with the business

Bailey Indiana S. 6 and Hyundai i800 auto

OK, here we go. TAKE A DEPOSIT. The bigger the deposit the bigger the commitment.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I once arranged to meet someone to show them round something I had overseen the design and build of a few years ago. I forgot to put it in my Outlook, and when he rang me from the location I was beyond mortification as I was doing something else. I still feel bad about it now, but he seems to have forgiven me.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

The joys of being self employed, I am now in my 39th of doing so. It is hard for somebody who has not been this way to understand how it works, you do not have one boss like most employed people buts lots of individual one's.

Self employed is great, you can work the hours you want to, take as much time off as you want, get sick pay, maternity leave and retire early on a massive pension.

I'm self employed and agree with you unitl the last line too! :D

Compass Shadow 1988