Led's .. Advice Please

Disco Kid

I am looking at replacing the halogen bulbs in the spotlights above the front end beds.

At the moment they are G4 fitting, bell shaped, about 35mm diameter held by a circlip.

There seem to be some direct replacements, but they are a lot more expensive than eg 25smd circular units with back pins.

The current 'bulbs' are 35mm diameter, but I can only find 25mm diameter smd back pin units.

Is there an accepted way to fix these 25mm versions.

(Hope I have the correct terminology, and that you understand what I mean)

Can the existing bulbs be dismantled, I wonder? They look to have a typical halogen capsule inside

Edited by old hand

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Are you sure they are g4 as they sound like mr11?

The mr11 downlighters in our bailey were like you describe held in with a circlip.

Edited by rusty63

The mr11 downlighters in our bailey were like you describe held in with a circlip.

That's what I was thinking. . - Do they look like these ---> http://www. ultraleds. co. uk/led-product-catalogue/caravan-motorhome-leds/mr11-gu4-35mm. html

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Ah . . now there you have me . . (there's no substitute for knowing what you are doing)

I have had one out some time back, and since it had two straight pins 4mm or so apart I assumed it was G4, so I've just been and got one from the 'van. Yes, looks like what you say.

I'm glad I posted . . saved me some money. thanks.

Back to the sketch pad (can't afford a drawing board.)

So MR11 indicates Multi facet reflector 11 eighths diameter with a GU4 connection . .

I am constantly amazed at how much I don't know.

Edited by old hand

yes i just checked ours and they are called mr11 gu4.

they are difficult to get hold of at a sensible price if you need the ones with the glass cover on them?

I was recommended a china based seller on ebay and they only cost about £6 for 5 delivered. Took about three to four weeks delivery. Can post the item number if these are the type you want.

I originally bought ten to replace them all and then bought another five in case I needed spares but not used any of those yet.

yes i just checked ours and they are called mr11 gu4.

they are difficult to get hold of at a sensible price if you need the ones with the glass cover on them?

I was recommended a china based seller on ebay and they only cost about £6 for 5 delivered. Took about three to four weeks delivery. Can post the item number if these are the type you want.

I originally bought ten to replace them all and then bought another five in case I needed spares but not used any of those yet.

Then the ones in my link above are a bargain. .. They have a full glass cover and are identical in size to the halogen bulbs. Also they are fitted with a voltage regulator so they last a long time and do not overheat and work from 11v to 23v.

I have had mine for over 3 years and have not had any issues.

Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks . . found several from the far east at competitive prices . .

still to decide, do I have Cool or Warm white?

They are spot lights, but in the 'lounge area' . . Have put cool G4's capsule style above the kitchen, and they are very clinical

I bought warm white. Fractionally a bit less bright but the same "colour" light as the original halogen ones.

I went for warm white. They are a good colour, not too intense.

Mahatma Gandhi

at the risk of sounding thick. .. why change ?

A few reasons :-

• Much less heat output, less damage to bulb holders, wiring and light casings. The ones in my van started to melt :o
  • Longer life, less likelihood of having to change them while away and less chance of failure.
  • Less prone to vibration damage from travelling? Not sure about this. ..
  • Much lower power usage, less strain on transformer and much longer battery life when off-grid camping.

Mahatma Gandhi

OK . . Hopefully last query . ..

3258 or 5050 LEDs

24 3258's give about 104 lumens for 1. 5 watts

12 5050's give about 140 lumens for 2. 5 watts

so 5050's give more lumens (at a wattage cost, but still less than Halogen (1 halogen capsule gives 100 lumens for 9 watts)), but they don't seem to be glass sealed so a risk of shorting with the circlip . . can I get plastic circlips? cover with clingfilm?

nine 5050s appear to be set within the 'bell' but that's giving up 25% compared to the twelve 5050 units .

What is the recommendation of 'those that know'?

Edited by old hand

Mine are 24 3528 SMD warm white with the glass covers. These were all that were available when I bought mine in the MR11 GU4 range.

I dont think it would be a good idea to use any without the cover glass.

Changing to LED made a huge difference to the power consumption and the power supply that used to be v hot is now luke warm.

Edited by rusty63

All info read, learned and now being inwardly digested . .

Thanks Fellas.