Towing A Heavy Van With A Vauxhall Insignia.

richrimmo

Hi all. Just bought a brand new insignia 160 SRi hatchback. Not the new new shape that's just come out. I didn't particularly want a vauxhall but got a big discount as it's old shape (£19000) and 5 years 0% finance. My last car was a 2011 ford smax tdci 140. Loved the car for towing but dealer couldn't get to the bottom of a long term cold start fault so it had to go. Towed our 1600kg Hobby 560 brilliantly.

I was just wondering what's the heaviest vans that you lot have towed with an insignia ? I used to be a stickler for the 85% guide but got sick of driving 4x4s just to tow 10 times a year. Not doing much towing next year as we are siting our van on a seasonal pitch and will downsize van year after. I'm hoping to hang on to this car for a few years after it's paid off and make use of the lifetime warranty.

Regards

Rich.

2013 Vauxhall insignia SRi 2. 0 cdti towing Bailey Olympus 530/4 series 2

I am assuming the 1600kg for your van is your max weight? You will be a 99% match meaning that you need to take great care. Fill the car up as much as axle weights allow and de clutter your caravan to reduce overall weight? Power should not be an issue but you may have some traction issues being a front wheel drive - watch getting stuck on wet or muddy fields! Also nose weight should be fine at 90kg.

Good luck and take it easy.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

Hi, I used to have a tourer elite cdti. Had for two years and covered 93k in it and loved it it was totally reliable. Towed about 6k towing a twin axle swift charisma 650 in that time. I could not fault the car, 50mpg plus solo )was doing long runs mostly) and between 27 and 32 towing. Was very stable and pulled really well.

99% ? I am guessing you're a seasoned caravanner otherwise a towing course could help sharpen the skills. I do love the insignia but I ended up going down the 4x4 route as my previous estate towed 1500kg max and the towing experience was dreadful. So I decided to change for a 4x4. I share your concern though as mine is only used for towing so it does sit there and gather dust most of the time. As a tow vehicle though, it's streets ahead of the Octavia estate I had before it.

Caravanless. ...

Not Sure on other models bur kerbweight of mine was in around 1760 kg from memory.

Edited by stattam

Hi. Thanks for the replies guys. It's always nice to get a bit of feedback from people who have actually towed with an insignia and not just the 85% brigade warning me of impending doom.

The 85% guide (not rule) is a good starting point for beginners, and let's face it the heavier the car than the van will always be more safer. Trouble is real life gets in the way and I just can't afford to run a big 4x4 nowadays just to tow the van 10 times a year.

I've towed this same hobby 560 (1600kg mtplm) with various cars. I started off with a 3. 2 diesel shogun LWB automatic kerb weight approx 2200kg. It was pretty good towing but slightly lacking in power on long motorway inclines but it had done 100000 miles. Took it to Cornwall and it averaged 14 to the gallon towing !!

Next up was a 2006 jeep Cherokee 3. 7 petrol auto with an LPG conversion. What a hopeless car !!!! Even though it weighed 2150kg it felt unsafe at 60mph. And LPG May be half price but you use more than twice as much so that had to go.

In 2011 we bought a brand new ford smax 2. 0 tdci. Kerb weight 1690kg max towing 1800kg plus it has about a 700 kg payload as it's a 7 seater. That was a brilliant tow car. Towed the hobby all over the country, had to really watch the speed as I once found myself unexpectedly creeping up to 80mph on a long motorway stretch without realising.

I would have kept that car but last April it developed a cold starting fault that the dealer could not fix, as the warranty would expire next April we decided to change it now as it also needed tyres and a new battery. Also had quite a few scratches and scuffs from the amazing French drivers.

I'm quite a carful tower as I have kids in the car. I always adjust my tyre pressures, check the nose weight and carefully load my car and van. I'll take the van to my seasonal pitch in April and ***** what it tows like. If I'm not happy I will be swapping it for a lighter van before I tour again. It's a shame because the hobby is a brilliant family van. Full size bunks at one end and king size bed at the front with lounge in the middle. It's nice to be able to get up in the morning and not have to put beds away and sit and have a cuppa in peace whilst the 14 year old has a lie in.

When my 2 year old used to get up in the night and get in bed with us I had many a good nights kip in his bed. And therse not many vans you can put a fill size travel cot in. People slate hobbys but it's mostly people who have never owned one. Mines not expensive to insure and most sites don't mind you coming on. Only ever had one site refuse and that was in London where they seem to get a lot of trouble with the travelling fraternity. If you do your home work you shouldn't have any troubles.

Anyway I'm digressing a bit from the subject of insignia tow cars lol thanks for all your comments and keep them coming.

Regards

Rich.

2013 Vauxhall insignia SRi 2. 0 cdti towing Bailey Olympus 530/4 series 2