Bad Day ..... Possible New Engine

Maffffster

So the car went into landrover to have the glow plugs removed today as my local garage who normally work on the car tried to do it but failed and after putting the car back together the car won't run right. Turns out they've drop some into the air intake and ruined the turbo and maybe even the engine. It's gonna be a stressful time ahead and just before Christmas.

All I want for Christmas is my car back so we can go on holiday :-(

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia 

Your local Garage should have Public Liability insurance etc to cover for this ??

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Public liability is if you trip over his door mat!

You claim under his product and servicing liability cover, all reasonable garages have this cover, but it doesn't matter anyhow, you just claim from the dealer it's up to him how he deals with your claim

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Hence the ETC Bit :)

That's certainly the plan, hopefully find out how bad the damage is on Monday and then it's off the other garage to make a claim.

Landrover are also offering me a hire car with a tow bar so we can go away at Christmas - this could be an expensive claim

So had a call from landrover today and It' would appear that some one managed to drop a cigarette lighter in the engine and through the turbo.

I'm speechless

So had a call from landrover today and It' would appear that some one managed to drop a cigarette in the engine and through the turbo.

I'm speechless

Didn't think they are allowed to smoke when at work. Usually a sacking offence!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Don't think they smoke while working on the car, but I guess his lighter fell out off his pocket

Don't think they smoke while working on the car, but I guess his lighter fell out off his pocket

Nobody said they were smoking. Dropping a cigarette and smoking a cigarette are 2 entirely different things. Smoking in the workplace is illegal, and not just a sacking offence.

Ah!

Was it the cigarette lighter that fell in then?

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Ah!

Was it the cigarette lighter that fell in then?

Yeah a lighter - landrover have what's left of it and they can read "clipper " on some of the bits of metal

So just got back from landrover after seeing my car in many many pieces. I still can't believe the a cigarette lighter managed to get through to the turbo.

The estimated invoice I'd about £6700, but the garage has sad it will pay, which is a relief

Maffff

Sorry to hear your plight

If you are not already on the forum, try www. disco3. co. uk.

I'm sure everyone would be interested in your story and provide some support

Sounds like the lighter fell out of his top overall pocket as he leaned over the engine .

Its usually my 6" steel rule and pencils fall out of mine .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

147,000 miles and caused by the failure of a £4 oil pump drive shaft. No warning at all.

I didn't think turbos would last that long! :rolleyes:

As I pulled up outside my house the other day, clouds of smoke came out from under the bonnet of my Cherokee. Panic! Switched off and left it for a couple of minutes, no more smoke but a foul smell. A recovery ride later, to my local garage, and it was discovered that the air con pump had siezed resulting in a rather hot belt catching fire. Jeep air con pumps are very expensive and not readily available. My replacement came today and I now have to wait for an air con man to be available, because of degassing/regassing. Unfortunately, I have to foot the bill myself. Merry Christmas!

Edited by colonel

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to report I picked up the trusty old steed last night just in time for Christmas - looks like we be going away now yay, although the weathers not looking to great :-( I guess you can't have it all

Great news that is.

Ste

Glad to here your sorted and the garage did the right thing :)

Can I ask if it was a franchised dealer or independent?

Disco3. co. uk is a great forum - I am on there and rrsport. co. uk a sister forum where you will find lots of very helpful posts and great members - very open and unrestricted discussions ;)

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o