Caravan On Axle Stands

percy

During winter is it advisable to take the weight off the wheels?

Here is some reading for you Percy.

Click Here and Here also Here and - guess what Here

And Just for something new

Here ;)

BO

During winter is it advisable to take the weight off the wheels?

Hi Percy,

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Alko advise if the caravan is to be laid up over the winter months. It is to the owner’s advantage to layup with the wheels off the ground. The axle stands should be placed under the axle tube at the point closest to the chassis mounting plate, but not under the chassis plate.

Alko reason the benefit is, “It allows the three long suspension rubbers that run the full length of each axle tube a restorative un-compressed period.” Another benefit is flat spots will not develop on the tyres.

As a matter of interest Lidl are currently selling a good quality pair of folding axle stands at £7. 99 a pair. :)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Sorry to get of the original post here but I asked on here a while back if the rubbers went the full length of the axle and the general replies were, no they dont

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Winter wheels don't allow the suspension to rest

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Thanks alot, i,ll be removing wheels this weekend, cheers.