B6163 (Briggate) Into Knaresborough?

Hi Everyone - I'm looking for some travel advice

Has anyone used the 'old' road (the B6163 - Briggate) into Knaresborough from the A658 and if so is it OK for taking the 'van in that way? ( I recall that it is quite steep and narrow)

Edited by sybil

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

Perhaps you can use Google Earth to have a look at the route?

2015 ABI ASHCROFT EXCL

I would not, it is narrow over the bridge then steep, the problem also is the back up of traffic on Biggate from the traffic lights and having to do hill starts, best use the ring road and come in on the A59.

Where are you going?

Edited by Czech connection

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

Agree - use the A61/658 and then the A59

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I lived in Burton Leonard, not far from Knaresborough for 15 years.

That route is no problem in a car, but I'd not be happy towing. As has been said you could end up stuck on the hill due to tailback from the lights at the A59 crossroads.

If you're heading east on the Harrogate Bypass it would be OK to turn left at the next roundabout and over the narrow bridge (light controlled) then left onto the A59 at the next lights, but even there might be tight.

Overall it's probably best to go on the extra half mile to the next roundabout on the Bypass and turn left, passing the Toyota dealership and straight into Knaresborough that way.

Alternatively take the earlier roundabout on the Bypass (A661 Wetherby Road), pass the Yorkshire Showground and Sainsburys to the Empress roundabout on The Stray, turn right onto the A59 and head towards Knaresborough, passing the Ford main dealership on the right.

Mind all of that will just get you into central Knaresborough which is definitely not a good place for a caravan to hang around.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Have done Briggate wirh the van on some time ago and the clutch smelled for weeks!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Saying all that, this morning I have just followed a large caravan towed by a Land Rover going over the bridge and up Briggate.

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

Saying all that, this morning I have just followed a large caravan towed by a Land Rover going over the bridge and up Briggate.

Mine was only a Pug 405 though. ............will be PMing you this week amigo.

geoff

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Everyone, and sorry for the late reply.

MEG55 - I use google & streetview frequently, it is superb for getting all the visual landmarks for any turnings, but have you noticed that it doesnt give much help in terms of gradient?

SDA - thats my usual route (over the narrow bridge) and is OK, just have to negotiate the speed bumps with care. but everyones advice to avoid the briggate seems sound to me, ring road it is from now on!

"its not the space in your Caravan, it's the space your Caravan is in, that counts"

Went to Czech Connections home earlier this month and there was a builders lorry pulled onto kerb near the lights and it was causing chaos for traffic coming up Briggate. ...so ring road if a van on for certain. ......

geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Question: do you need to go through Knaresborough at all? There are easy options for any route to or from Knaresborough. For instance if you are going to the CC site at Scotton go north up the A61 from Harrogate to Ripley, then turn back towards Knaresborough - the turn is signposted. If you are going towards Boroughbridge then go via the A1 junc 48, etc etc. Give us more info and we can help.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville