Mitsubishi Outlander Short Service Interval.

Tandem Man

Just been browsing the specs for the Mitsubishi Outlander and noticed the service interval is 9,000 miles/12 months.

"The all-new Mitsubishi Outlander has a 3-year / unlimited mileage warranty together with a pan-European roadside assistance package. The service interval for new Outlander is 9,000 miles/12 months (whichever occurs first). Mitsubishi’s extremely competitive service plan (MSP), covering the first three scheduled services can be purchased for just £600 including VAT, with further MSP top-up cover available at the 4th and 5th services for an additional £570 including VAT."

Seems a short mileage these days when,for example,the Kia Sorento is 20,000 miles/12 months.

Ian

Hi,

Skoda Scout 4x4--- 2 years ( long life oil )

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

I remember the Mitsubishi evo service intervals were something stupid like 3000 miles. For a Japanese engine, 9000 does seem low.

Caravanless. ...

Rob,

As an aside I see you drive a Tiguan,what do you think of it ??

Test driving one next week,bit concerned re: luggage space as SWMBO wants to take two grandkids vanning next year as well as all our gubbins.

If too small may have to consider a Passat.

Ian

In my humble opinion, the long 20k service intervals are to make the values add up for the 'fleet manager' - they will do your engine no good. I assure you that a 6monthly oil change will make an engine last much longer and cause much less damage to the emission equipment.

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

In my humble opinion, the long 20k service intervals are to make the values add up for the 'fleet manager' - they will do your engine no good. I assure you that a 6monthly oil change will make an engine last much longer and cause much less damage to the emission equipment.

That doesn't take into account the huge strides in oil specifications, at least in Europe, over the last 20 years.

20,000 mile oil changes doesn't seem to have harmed the multitude of cars chosen for fleet use that subsequently find their way onto the private used market.

It does come down to using exactly the right oil specification - the ACEA grade is excellent for that but often ignored.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Im with dreadly on this, possibly irrationally, but I just cant get my head around 20,000 mile oil changes for an internal combustion or compression ignition engine. Even the best synthetics oxidise and degrade over time. Maybe its not hugely relevant for those who buy new cars and dispose of them after a brief period of ownership,( 2-3 years ) but for folks like me who buy others cast offs ( used - 2nd hand- pre loved, pre loathed ) and tend to keep vehicles for much longer ( 6-10 years ) I would never leave oil in the system longer than 10,000miles, and usually much less.

On all the car forums I've been on I've not heard of engine damage due to oil degradation because of long service intervals. I have though heard of damage to engines due to the wrong oil type being used.

DPF damage, EGR valve damage, turbo damage. All can be caused by poor quality or contaminated oil. And all are very common issues. I realise that the old 'black death' is pretty much a thing of the past, unless you are going to put ASDA home brand 20/50w oil in a modern turbo diesel. What I am referring to is the long term damage of running long service intervals, even with the correct fully synthetic oils.

Al, of the soot, acidic residue, excess fuel ends up in the oil and no amount of detergent additive in a modern oil is going to get rid of that waste product. That will circulate around your engine and turbo and the filters cannot remove everything.

Mahatma Gandhi

Go into the world of big marine diesels. The oil is never changed in 25years.

Routine top up and constant purification do the trick.

My Volvo is 18000 miles between oil changes, seems to run well with no troubles.

Agreed, but they do not work in the same way car engines do either, it's not comparable really in my mind. They also hold a lot more oil and have much bigger filtration systems, like trucks.

I am talking about a modern car turbo diesel engine that holds around 4litres of fully synthetic oil and has a standard sized car oil filtration system.

See ---> http://www. carbibles. com/engineoil_bible. html

Mahatma Gandhi

Agreed, but they do not work in the same way car engines do either, it's not comparable really in my mind. They also hold a lot more oil and have much bigger filtration systems, like trucks.

I am talking about a modern car turbo diesel engine that holds around 4litres of fully synthetic oil and has a standard sized car oil filtration system.

See ---> http://www. carbibles. com/engineoil_bible. html

That link is to a US website - where they still think 3,000 miles on basic mineral oil is good practice.

The problem for North Americans is that they only have API service grade, currently API-SN is a minimum standard, way below that specified for modern engines sold in Europe and have no access to ACEA sequences which are the high specifications to permit long oil change intervals.

DPF damage, EGR valve damage, turbo damage. All can be caused by poor quality or contaminated oil. And all are very common issues. I realise that the old 'black death' is pretty much a thing of the past, unless you are going to put ASDA home brand 20/50w oil in a modern turbo diesel. What I am referring to is the long term damage of running long service intervals, even with the correct fully synthetic oils.

Al, of the soot, acidic residue, excess fuel ends up in the oil and no amount of detergent additive in a modern oil is going to get rid of that waste product. That will circulate around your engine and turbo and the filters cannot remove everything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure all those things could potentially be damaged.

However, has anyone actually had that kind of damage that was put down to the oil being "old" (i. e. in there for 15,000 to 20,000 miles) rather than lack of oil or the wrong type of oil? Maybe, but I've not come across it on the car forums I've frequented. Obviously I haven't been on all of them though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure all those things could potentially be damaged.

However, has anyone actually had that kind of damage that was put down to the oil being "old" (i. e. in there for 15,000 to 20,000 miles) rather than lack of oil or the wrong type of oil? Maybe, but I've not come across it on the car forums I've frequented. Obviously I haven't been on all of them though.

As I said, this is my opinion. .. I think that it will keep my car in better condition for the minimal cost of just an extra oil change a year. Now that has got to be worth it?

The impeller shaft in your turbo floats on a high pressure oil seal at very high temperatures, the quality of the oil in this seal will considerably effect it's lifespan. I'm not taking chances, simple, as. If you want to then I'm fine with that and have no issue at all, but if I was buying a USED car and that seller had gotten the oil changed twice as much as recommended in the service book then I would take that as a major plus point when considering a purchase also.

Also, it may be an American website but a lot of the oil standards and grades mentioned are recognised worldwide.

Mahatma Gandhi

Also, it may be an American website but a lot of the oil standards and grades mentioned are recognised worldwide.

The API service grade is recognised worldwide, but it's a low minimum standard - ACEA classification is used in Europe and Australia to give specific oils for specific types of engine, much better.

Edited by Black Grouse

Assuming the car does an average speed of 30mph for 20000miles.

Then this gives about 28days continuous running of the engine.

China to Europe takes 28days continuous running on marine diesels.

These marine engines run for 6000hours per annum or 250 days.

Why can't synthetic oil last 28days running in a car engine?

Assuming the car does an average speed of 30mph for 20000miles.

Then this gives about 28days continuous running of the engine.

China to Europe takes 28days continuous running on marine diesels.

These marine engines run for 6000hours per annum or 250 days.

Why can't synthetic oil last 28days running in a car engine?

What have boats got to do with it?

Mahatma Gandhi

My Isuzu D - Max for me is every 2 yrs for a service .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Boats!!! Ships you mean :)

Look at the running hours a marine diesel does compared to the running hours a car does.

Also marine diesels burn heavy fuel oil, heated to 145C to get it into the cylinders.

The marine diesels lub oil runs for 25years, the life of the ship.

Boats!!! Ships you mean :)

Look at the running hours a marine diesel does compared to the running hours a car does.

Also marine diesels burn heavy fuel oil, heated to 145C to get it into the cylinders.

The marine diesels lub oil runs for 25years, the life of the ship.

and the RPM of one of these is ? and the sump contents? is there a purifier in more or less continuous operation ? Are there lub oil losses with regular top ups? Are regular samples taken and sent to a lab for analysis ? after 25 years, how much of the original fill is actually still in the system. Im not sure you are comparing apples to apples here.

and the RPM of one of these is ? and the sump contents? is there a purifier in more or less continuous operation ? Are there lub oil losses with regular top ups? Are regular samples taken and sent to a lab for analysis ? after 25 years, how much of the original fill is actually still in the system. Im not sure you are comparing apples to apples here.

I'm no old sea dog but the last 'ship' 'boat' whatever. . that I had the misfortune to help fix ;) - had twin volvo Penta D4 engines - They where dry sump!!! - When you changed the oil out, you changed ALL of the oil out, as the catch tank was the sump oil. .. Also they had twin oil filters, designed especially for prolonged use with full flow and bypass filters, no EGR and No DPF. Max RPM is 3400 and they don't like to ever-rev for too long.

They are in a whole different league.

Edited by dreadly

Mahatma Gandhi

Dreadly - what do you base your service intervals on then if you're ignoring the manufacturers recommendations?

I'm not ignoring them, the manufacturer states 20k miles or 1 year, whichever is sooner but the small print in the manual says that this is for 'normal' use under 'normal' conditions. I don't believe that towing is 'normal' so I just supplement the service with an additional 6monthly oil change, the rest is per the book.

Mahatma Gandhi

But why 6 months? Why not 3 months? Or monthly?

Does the manual not state what to do in the case of non normal use?

Just curious that's all.

My car can be set to long life service or time and distance. The manual clearly states that if you do less than 10,000 miles a year or use it in harsh conditions or tow then you should follow time and distance. Even then that is only service once a year or every 10,000 miles, which is what I do. The garage still use the same oil.

Seems a waste changing oil any more frequently than every 10,000 miles (and not very environmentally friendly either).

Edited by Smarty

Yes the oil is purified and tested at regular intervals. RPM varies 750/95. Power 2500/95000 shp.

The point I am making is that modern lub oils will last a very long time.

My Volvo is 18000miles between servicing and this includes the oil change, however if the annual mileage is much less then the oil is still changed. The oil is changed regardless of condition.