Tv

ian dunning

Just a thought for you TV addicts (yes I am of that ilk) when you arrive on site, and don't know where to point your aeriel (OOH ER MISSUS) look at the local houses 'cos their aeriels will be directed at the local transmitter.

Another thought is there anybody in this world who can explain to me exactly what function the status aeriel carries out other than causing wind resistance when towing?

Ian.

Just a thought for you TV addicts (yes I am of that ilk) when you arrive on site, and don't know where to point your aeriel (OOH ER MISSUS) look at the local houses 'cos their aeriels will be directed at the local transmitter.

I always start looking at TV ariels and direction/orientation (vertical/horizontal) as soon as I get near a site

Another thought is there anybody in this world who can explain to me exactly what function the status aeriel carries out other than causing wind resistance when towing?

Ian.

Ahh that one is easy. ......it to give us non-status ariel owners a laugh when we see em :D:D

my first port of call is reception,as soon as i have paid i look for direction of ariel on there roof or caravan, i have yet to find the point in status ariel, maybe its there to stop invading armies with parachutes from invading us. :huh:

A mate of mine often uses the 'coathanger' aerial that came with his portable in preference to the Status on his 'van!

:lol:

Thanks you lot of pee taking persons, you are no help whatsoever in my quest to find the point of the Status aeriel.

No! Stop youv'e solved the problem. They are so bored caravanners have got something to talk about on a Sunday in April, ingenious Mr Status,

Ian.

Hi All

I was going to ask how do you stop the ghosting on the TV the status areial is US that must be why they have now got one that turns now. They should give us all the new version and say they made a mistake with the round one. All it does is put a hole in the cover when it is in storage.

Dave

Edited by Wrecknett

Anbody know of a suitable 'bolt on' replacement for the Status aerial, preferrably one that works, before I see a pals son tomorrow and get a 'mast' type setup?

I've recently posted a topic on my return from our first trip. .......

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/forums//inde. ..wtopic=8953&hl=

got some good help from forum members !

I think with digital TV you tend not to receive poor pictures, you either get it or you don't, so where you use a status aeriel and it works you have won though you will find that a directional aeriel you should receive a signal more often than if you use an omnidirectional.

Actually I think you stand more chance with a rusty bean tin,

Ian.

Not true. Using a Freeview box has greatly improved the picture on several sites where the analogue picture from the onidirectional Status has been poor.

Certainly worth £30 plus a scart lead.

Roger

Yes Roger you are correct if the signal is strong enough to make your status aeriel effective, when you are using a digibox, then you will get a perfect picture, that was my point, there are no half measures with digital, unfortunately you will need to be in a strong signal area.

I think you will find that a directional aeriel is more effective at picking up a signal, than the status, when, on the odd occasion HA!, that the status doesn't work.

An example of the power of the Status is that I can get a better picture at home with the aeriel attatched to the portable than with the status!

Don't forget people that not all areas can yet receive digital as was found out by a happy camper at Whitby.

We noticed a neighbour mucking about with his aeriel, for approx half an hour, and as we had a perfect picture I asked him what was the problem.

He told me that he couldn't get his freeview box to work, It would be a miracle if he could 'cos its not available in whitby-OOPS,

Ian.

Reverting to Ian's original point about aligning an aerial in an area you are not familiar with - try http://www. wolfbane. com/cgi-bin/tva. exe? which will give you quite a lot of info, including the compass bearing from the post code of the site and which way the signals are polarised, ie should the aerial elements be vertical or horizontal (assuming you are using something other than the Status of course). It will also give you the channel numbers for a given transmitter if you are having to tune the tv manually. I always print off the page before we go away and tuck it in a safe place, it makes for easier setting up. However, I'm not sure that it will greatly assist with digital signals - although if these generally come off the same mast as analogue then at least you can find the transmitter direction. No doubt a tv expert out there will be able to clarify this.

Reverting to Ian's original point about aligning an aerial in an area you are not familiar with - try http://www. wolfbane. com/cgi-bin/tva. exe? which will give you quite a lot of info, including the compass bearing from the post code of the site and which way the signals are polarised, ie should the aerial elements be vertical or horizontal (assuming you are using something other than the Status of course). It will also give you the channel numbers for a given transmitter if you are having to tune the tv manually. I always print off the page before we go away and tuck it in a safe place, it makes for easier setting up. However, I'm not sure that it will greatly assist with digital signals - although if these generally come off the same mast as analogue then at least you can find the transmitter direction. No doubt a tv expert out there will be able to clarify this.

Great link GMC . ... thanks!

:D

Great link GMC . ... thanks!

:D

Digital signals do come from the same transmitters as analogue,

Ian.

Whether you can actually get a signal from your Status aerial or not is surely irrelevent - there is nothing to watch on any of the channels !!! Better by far to carry a stack of DVD's and watch something decent !

Hi

For those who wish to plug the Status hole after removing the "Flying saucer" try a plastic stopper from a bottle of plonk, it is a perfect fit. Unfortunately, it means drinking the wine before it gets spilled or goes off. As far as TV goes you can't beat a satellite system with a free standing dish.

Whether you can actually get a signal from your Status aerial or not is surely irrelevent - there is nothing to watch on any of the channels !!! Better by far to carry a stack of DVD's and watch something decent !

Right on - We're not ones for sitting in front of the box all night on trips, but when you come in tired out at about 9. 30pm it's nice to have something decent to watch.

We have Freeview in the van but most channels seem to be showing rubbish when we come in in the evenings, so we also carry a small VCR.

What I do, is when we are at home, most nights before we turn in I scan the Cable programme guides for any easy watching films/progs that are on the following day that I can tape for viewing in the van at a later date.

I set the VCR timer and Hey Presto, it's in the bag.

In the past few weeks I have accumulated about 30 decent films just to relax to after a tiring days walkabout.

I do have a DVD Recorder but it's not as easy or accurate to "Fast Forward" or "Rewind" so for the time being I'm sticking with the VCR - It does the job and does it well. ( and no messing about trying to get a signal !!)

- Wilky