Car Tax Disc To Be Axed After 93 Years

We'll no longer have to fiddle about with those bits of paper every 6 or 12 months, the car tax disc is being axed in favour on an electronic system:

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

I'm all for it, though hope the system is robust enough. .. what do you think? Good move?

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

Hi Ben,

It is a move forward but I still think the Vehicle Excise Duty should be axed and the cost put on fuel, then those that have the thirstier vehicles and those that do the mileage will pay the most.

Hi Ben,

It is a move forward but I still think the Vehicle Excise Duty should be axed and the cost put on fuel, then those that have the thirstier vehicles and those that do the mileage will pay the most.

I wholeheartedly agree. :goodpost:

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Its not physically having the disc that bugs me it is the horrendous price I pay. We unfortunately being caught with the retrospective and vindictive rerating done in 2007 doubling our vehicles taxation to now cost £490/a.

Looking on the bright side, the screen should be less cluttered and I am saved the couple of quid to replace the now dog-eared, licence holder. ;)

Edited by JTQ

Hi Ben,

I too agree with this idea, but like all electronic data collection/retention it needs to be secure and as already mentioned, the owner should be able to check just like they can for insurance. As this takes place (tongue in cheek) should reduce the cost as we no longer have the paper disc.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

What about buying a car ? How does the owner prove it is taxed?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

What about buying a car ? How does the owner prove it is taxed?

May be by using similar type of system as the Insurance Database

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Charging tax on individual vehicles is never going to vanish.

Since the tax goes into the tax "pool" and has nothing to do with roads it is just another state tax and hence in these hard up times government is not going to give it up.

We can look forward to--------

1 The system is down there is nothing we can do.

2 The data base will get pinched by criminals much more easily.

3 The system either may not work or cost an astronomical amoubt of tax payers money.

How many jobs will go I wonder? this is one of those things

where there can be lots of bother in store.

If you don't need a tax disc why bother with an MOT, Insurance.

I wonder how many criminals have been caught by not having/displaying

a tax disc.

Edited by gumdrop

Looking on the bright side, the screen should be less cluttered and I am saved the couple of quid to replace the now dog-eared, licence holder. ;)

Don't you get a free one with Mayday every year??........perhaps you don't use them?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

what I was thinking .

But if they are going to rely on ANPR for Road fund licence, MOT and insurance they are going to have to stamp out Illegal number plate s being made?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Wouldn't it be a better idea to Microchip all cars with the correct information re: Tax insurance and M. O. T. then put ANPR cars at strategic points along the road ( a different road every day ) flag the miscreants up, stop them further down the road, impound the vehicle IMMEDIATELY until all back taxes are paid?. Oh no sorry, that's too easy. .....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

If you don't need a tax disc why bother with an MOT, Insurance.

I wonder how many criminals have been caught by not having/displaying

a tax disc.

You don't need the disc, but you still pay the tax. The same way that MOT and insurance are also electronic which is why you can buy your tax disc online, because it checks you have those items in force, but you don't really need the bit of paper any more.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

In my opinion VED should be axed altogether. It's predecessor, Road Tax, was introduced at a time when very few people owned cars and the intention was to create a fund to support road improvements. For many years the income from VED has simply been added to the pot of general taxation. I seems quite unfair to me that a caravanner with a 4x4 which only does 6 or 7 thousand miles a year has to pay perhaps £400 a year whereas a commuter with a small car might do 25,000 miles but only be charged £30 a year for VED. Which of these does more damage to the roads? Which of these does more damage to the environment? If the government really needs the VED income the only fair way to get it would be to add it to fuel duty in my opinion. Then the people who burn the most fuel and do the most damage to the environment would pay the most. Just because many caravanners drive 4x4s is no reason to treat us as though we are the bad guys in my opinion.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

In my opinion VED should be axed altogether. It's predecessor, Road Tax, was introduced at a time when very few people owned cars and the intention was to create a fund to support road improvements. For many years the income from VED has simply been added to the pot of general taxation. I seems quite unfair to me that a caravanner with a 4x4 which only does 6 or 7 thousand miles a year has to pay perhaps £400 a year whereas a commuter with a small car might do 25,000 miles but only be charged £30 a year for VED. Which of these does more damage to the roads? Which of these does more damage to the environment? If the government really needs the VED income the only fair way to get it would be to add it to fuel duty in my opinion. Then the people who burn the most fuel and do the most damage to the environment would pay the most. Just because many caravanners drive 4x4s is no reason to treat us as though we are the bad guys in my opinion.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

Hi Ben,

Yes why spend a fortune on automating a system that is unnecessary. VED is pointless.

Hi

You can already check on line whether a vehicle is taxed using - www. taxdisc. direct. gov. uk, Insurance by using the ASKMID website and MOT by using the VOSA website. For the first two all you need is the reg number but for the MOT you need some of the V5 details.

I deduce from this the systems are already in place.

I do agree that VED should be levied on fuel though - the more you use the more you pay seems fair to me.

Edited by Guest

Hi

You can already check on line whether a vehicle is taxed using - www. taxdisc. direct. gov. uk, Insurance by using the ASKMID website and MOT by using the VOSA website. For the first two all you need is the reg number but for the MOT you need some of the V5 details.

I deduce from this the systems are already in place.

I do agree that VED should be levied on fuel though - the more you use the more you pay seems fair to me.

This question is why DID they spend a fortune on automating something that could have been removed.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to Microchip all cars with the correct information re: Tax insurance and M. O. T. then put ANPR cars at strategic points along the road ( a different road every day ) flag the miscreants up, stop them further down the road, impound the vehicle IMMEDIATELY until all back taxes are paid?. Oh no sorry, that's too easy. .....Peter

Careful Peter, the common sense police will come and arrest you. You have been warned!!

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Hi,

​Agree --remove road tax, seem to remember that when this was proposed last time ( Margaret Thatcher ? ) the non road fuel users ( power boats, lawn mowers, portable genys, etc ) kicked up a stink-- said it was unfair !

Regarding the use of data bases/ computers for road tax ------ remember the horror storys of people being " pulled" by police for not having insurance and having their car impounded ( and crushed ) because the data base said the were not insured--- even though they were! So now we will have to prove that we are taxed as well as insured, -of these things nightmares are made from.

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

The disadvantage of dropping Vehicle Excise Duty altogether and increasing the fuel tax instead is that it makes commuting to work more expensive. That may be a real problem for those who commute long distances.

The disadvantage of dropping Vehicle Excise Duty altogether and increasing the fuel tax instead is that it makes commuting to work more expensive. That may be a real problem for those who commute long distances.

But are they not the ones that make more wear and tear on the roads and also provide the most polution.

It seems the fairest way for everyone!

That means that I can now put my car on sorn and drive around europe for free. The police will have nothing to check to see if I am legal or not.

Before you all jump on me about insurance it is insured here with a spanish company who do not care tuppence about road tax.

Win win as long as I do not go back to the UK.

That means that I can now put my car on sorn and drive around europe for free. The police will have nothing to check to see if I am legal or not.

Before you all jump on me about insurance it is insured her with a spanish company who do not care tuppence about road tax.

Win win as long as I do not go back to the UK.

There I told you there would be problems :D

This is number 1!