Chevrolet Axed In Europe !

Black Grouse

The Chevrolet brand will be withdrawn from Europe by the end of 2015, according to GM Vice President.

http://www. autocar. co. uk/car-news/in. ..et-europe-2015

Chevrolet competing directly against Opel/Vauxhall was always stupid.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

It'll be a shame if it means the end of the Matiz. A cracking, reliable, litle runabout, very economical, cheap to tax, insure and maintain. Not to mention the cheapest 'proper' car available - at least it was when MOH bought hers in 2009. No, we don't tow with it!!!!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

No great loss there then.

Their offerings are mainly rebadged Vauxhalls, already being sold across Europe under the brand names Opel and Vauxhall. Why stand the cost of marketing a third brand? It never really took off in Europe anyway. :rolleyes:

The only real Chevrolet car sold in Europe is the Corvette Stingray, which will still be available after 2015 and is a really exciting yank tank. :)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Makes you think of Saab?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

TBH I always thought it looked a terrible product, bland looking, poor quality materials, I couldn't actually see why anyone would consider one a viable choice compared to what else is one the market.

Reminds me of the days when both Vauxhalls and Opels were sold side-by-side in the UK through competing dealerships. That was just as difficult to understand although the differences between Chevrolets and Vauxhalls are a lot more marked than those between Vauxhalls and Opel, which are pure badge engineering.

I have a Chevrolet and disagree with most of you.

I find it an excellent car and believe me I have had a few in my time, it is totally underestimated by those who do not own one, I liked it when I bought it and still like in now three years later, here in Spain they are used as taxis.

It tows my Valencia a dream, is economical, powerful,reliable and I have a 5 year warranty but have not to this day had anything go wrong in the slightest to claim for.

Where Caravantech gets the idea from that it is bland and a terrible product I have no Idea, mine is the total opposite and I have the experience of owning and running one.

Some so called top of the range cars I have owned have given me backache within ten minutes I drove in one go from Calais to to Benidorm two years ago without stopping for more than fuel and coffee and was pain free, wonderful wonderful car.

Next week I am off in it towing on a 4,000 mile trip and expect no problems at all.

Reminds me of the days when both Vauxhalls and Opels were sold side-by-side in the UK through competing dealerships. That was just as difficult to understand although the differences between Chevrolets and Vauxhalls are a lot more marked than those between Vauxhalls and Opel, which are pure badge engineering.

Opel only imported into the UK for a relatively short period - there were minor metal differences in the cars, usually the nose treatment - when Opel pulled out of UK then Vauxhall did become just a re-badged Opel even though many still built then in the UK.

There's significant one-off costs in rebranding Vauxhall as Opel - and zero gain as everyone knows that Opel/Vauxhall are one.

Bopeep - Chevrolet isn't being pulled because of poor car quality, it's being pulled because of low sales due to direct competition from Opel/Vauxhall as well as all the other brands - you'll still be able to buy the Vauxhall equivalent when you want to replace it.

Saab restarted production this week, they are now NEV Saab, chinese owned. The 9-3 aero saloon (petrol engine 225bhp) is in limited production. It is available direct from Saab. Don't know the price or if RHD avaialble yet. I wish them luck.

Will Chevrolet still sell the camaro as well as the Corvette in UK? Would'nt mind a Camaro convertible, nice big V* should tow well!

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I imported an Opel Kadett from Belgium in 1983 which had been made in the UK. Only difference from the Astra was the badging and £1400 saving in price. .

There were instances of Irish Opels being rebadged as Vauxhalls and sold in Northern Ireland or the UK.

Most Chevrolet cars in Europe originate from Korea and the ex-Daewoo factories.

Whereas Vauxhalls are designed and engineered by Opel, Chevrolet, actually GM Korea, ex Daewoo, have their own engineering, even if their models may be on a common platform, but that applies to lots of other GM models, too, even a number of North American ones. On the other hand, some Opels are sold as Chevrolets in some markets, notably South America and Asia.

Edited by Lutz

TBH I always thought it looked a terrible product, bland looking, poor quality materials, I couldn't actually see why anyone would consider one a viable choice compared to what else is one the market.

Agree with that totally !!

That didn't last long! Maybe if they sold proper Chevys instead of rebadged Daewoos, it may have been more successful, Chevrolet make some great cars in the USA, surely some coud be sold here.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

The North American Chevrolet Malibu is sold here on the Continent. Presumably sales of that will cease, too, leaving the Corvette as the only Chevrolet at the dealers.

On the other hand, the same GM news bulletin mentions that Cadillac will increase its presence in Western Europe.

Gutted as I have the Captiva and it is the best 4x4 tug Inhave owned and that includes Honda Crv, Kia Sorrento and Volvo XC 90. Jus a good comfortable motor. No frills but gets the job done. The Antara didn't come near in the test drive.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Gutted as I have the Captiva and it is the best 4x4 tug Inhave owned and that includes Honda Crv, Kia Sorrento and Volvo XC 90. Jus a good comfortable motor. No frills but gets the job done. The Antara didn't come near in the test drive.

But the Antara is simply a re-badged Captiva with a marginally different trim specification - it's still built by GM Korea.

I was always led to believe that some of the Chevrolets sold in Europe were rebadged Daewoos ?

Bill

Daewoo is no longer a car manufacturer. They went bankrupt in 1999 and changed their name to GM Daewoo in 2002. In 2011 they went bankrupt a second time and were then bought out by GM Korea, which is what they are called today.

Daewoo is no longer a car manufacturer. They went bankrupt in 1999 and changed their name to GM Daewoo in 2002. In 2011 they went bankrupt a second time and were then bought out by GM Korea, which is what they are called today.

Name and ownership has changed several times but most Chevrolets sold in the UK are built in Korea in the ex-Daewoo plant by ex-Daewoo workers.

Name and ownership has changed several times but most Chevrolets sold in the UK are built in Korea in the ex-Daewoo plant by ex-Daewoo workers.

Maybe, but that doesn't make them Daewoo cars. It's a bit like saying Land Rover Freelanders and Evoques built at the ex-Ford plant in Halewood by ex-Ford workers are actually Fords.

Edited by Lutz

Maybe, but that doesn't make them Daewoo cars. It's a bit like saying Land Rover Freelanders and Evoques built at the ex-Ford plant in Halewood by ex-Ford workers are actually Fords.

Given that most of the design and engineering for FL2 came from Ford engineers drafted in to Gaydon to sort LR out and it does sit on a Ford platform, then that's a fair connection. I think Ford did an excellent job of Freelander 2.

How many on here who are slagging off the Chevrolet actually own one, and can talk with experience, or are they just jumping on the bandwagon listening to second hand gossip.

In my lifetime I have owned most top end cars, mainly I paid for the badge as the cars were no great shakes and cost me plenty to run, My Orlando does what it says on the box, it has never let me down and is reasonably cheap to run, plus it was the right price.

The only minus is the poor residual value, because of people saying if it does not have a good badge it is no good. I could swop it tomorrow but but for what, a vauxhall, don't make me laugh

Most of the cars we see around the world are re-badged from one brand to another & so many share the same platforms now that theres hardly any difference. All the french manufacturers share common chasis & engines.

Remember the Alhambra/Galaxy/Sharon - now there's a lesson in re-branding. You could pick any one from 3 & get the same car with different spec levels & badges for the same money. I even had one mate tell me he would never buy a seat as he thought they were sh**e, but was quite happy with his Ford galaxy which had brilliant build quality!!. We have people working here who have Golf's as company cars, yet they hanker after audi A3's, even though its basically the same car underneath - i suggested that we should start looking at Skoda's instead, as they are all but re-badged volkswagons - that didn't go down too well i can tell you!!

So cheverolet have gone the same way as a few other - Lancia, cadilac - both pulled out of various european countries due to poor sales of even poorer cars.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

• 3 weeks later...

GM introduced Chevrolet into Europe when the plan was to sell off Opel/Vauxhall, a plan that has now unravelled.

Mitsubishi ASX4 2. 2 Auto Outlander PHEV GX5HS & Compass Omega 574 - with wifey & woofie!