Cleaned The Caravan! What A Mistake!

PR1

Well on Monday just past, I paid to have our caravan cleaned at our local dealers. I did this because I cannot do the roof, and it was going a horrible colour! Anyway they did a brilliant job, so it was £20. 00 well spent!

Today we drove down to Dulverton CC site! When we are not in a hurry we like to stay off the motorways, so we drove down through Somerset on the A roads. I reckon every farmer the length of Somerset had been out with their tractors on the fields, and had then deposited mud all over the roads!

When we arrived the caravan was absolutely plastered with mud! Took some cleaning off!

Next time I pay to have the caravan cleaned I will do it when we get home!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

:lol: :lol: :lol: . ..Sorry to hear that. .. :mellow:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Just be thankful it's only mud!

And where can you get a van cleaned for only £20?

Our dealer charges that if it's done when in for a service.

My dealer this week offerred a clean for £15 after the service but then I heard the dread words "power wash".

I declined the offer!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I think our dealer charges $35 for cleaning including the roof.

Nearly the price of a set of steps.

There is a sense of satisfaction resulting from your own labours but an increased resentment for me when my hard work is ruined by cow exhaust coating.

Whenever I wash my van there always seems to be rain on the following journey. I always end up feeling ashamed when I arrive on site with a messy front end.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

. .... when my hard work is ruined by cow exhaust coating. .......

A few years ago we were about to leave Cornwall for the trip home. . but SWMBO wanted to "pop back" to the Lost Gardens of Helligan Gift Shop. . for a souvenir or maybe a present.

The car was gleaming before we left but on the back roads to the LGofH we met a road were the farmer had recently transported his Bovine herd.

By the time we returned to the caravan site to collect the 'van (along the same road) the lower 2 foot of the car was covered in Cow Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

I didn't have time to clean the car so returned to Portsmouth with the excess ballast!

First day home I (ashamedly) took the car to the local hand car wash.

After much scrubbing the young lad said he couldn't get the rest off 'cos it was tar!

I said "take a sniff. .. that's not tar"!

His response. ... "*****, it's Cow Sh*****"

"That's why your cleaning it not me" was my response!!

I still feel guilty when I drive past that Hand Car Wash!!!!

:blush::blush::blush:

G.

Ah, the old A396. Yep, that can get a bit muddy. I drove it yesterday and will do it again tomorrow.

Still at least the pheasants are all gone now.

A very neat site that one, too regimented for me, but very neat all the same. I'm surprised they let you in with a mucky van! :P

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

A few years ago we were about to leave Cornwall for the trip home. . but SWMBO wanted to "pop back" to the Lost Gardens of Helligan Gift Shop. . for a souvenir or maybe a present.

The car was gleaming before we left but on the back roads to the LGofH we met a road were the farmer had recently transported his Bovine herd.

By the time we returned to the caravan site to collect the 'van (along the same road) the lower 2 foot of the car was covered in Cow Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

I didn't have time to clean the car so returned to Portsmouth with the excess ballast!

First day home I (ashamedly) took the car to the local hand car wash.

After much scrubbing the young lad said he couldn't get the rest off 'cos it was tar!

I said "take a sniff. .. that's not tar"!

His response. ... "*****, it's Cow Sh*****"

"That's why your cleaning it not me" was my response!!

I still feel guilty when I drive past that Hand Car Wash!!!!

:blush::blush::blush:

G.

Was your wife happy with the " souvenir" you collected for her.

My van is on a part seasonal pitch which is on a dairy farm, the cows walk past the farm entrance to the milking shed twice a day. I thought cows would get used to being milked but his cows must be very scared as they "let loose" at the farm entrance without fail!

The splash pattern up my front wings looks like a flame design like they put on drag car's. ......except mine is Brown.

Ford "FutureTaxi". less bhp than last year, sticky toffy down seat rail. Towing big white box with comfy seats and some steak knives from daughters boyfriend.

Although you cannot clean your 'van roof if you had polished the rest of your caravan you will find 'muck' does not stick as much as it will on an unpolished one.

We've all suffered from agricultural detritus at some time but a pre polished surface enables you to remove it much easier. The same applies to towing vehicles as well.

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Dulverton CC site, lovely site, great location, lots of great places to eat and drink right on the doorstep and good area for walking

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

My dealer this week offerred a clean for £15 after the service but then I heard the dread words "power wash".

I declined the offer!

Nothing wrong with a power washer, no worse than towing it in the rain, unless of course the person using the washer does not know how to.

It is not the tool but the tool holding the tool that does the damage.

Edited by screenman

Dulverton CC site, lovely site, great location, lots of great places to eat and drink right on the doorstep and good area for walking

Ahhh yes lovely. One of our favourites.

Hyundai Santa Fe pulling Swift Challenger 530 SE.

I might be the daddy but she's the boss.

Nothing wrong with a power washer, no worse than towing it in the rain, unless of course the person using the washer does not know how to.

It is not the tool but the tool holding the tool that does the damage.

You will find for £20 the junior at the caravan servicing centre will be operating the power washer.

I have to say that power washers and caravans are best separated. The mastic joints are vulnerable enough without their use and I can't see a rain storm or road water reaching 110- 150 PSI. I just don't think it is worth the risk of inducing ingress even if I do it myself. A bucket shampoo and a cloth and maybe a mop is the better strategy; yes I know it takes 15 times as long but for the risk a couple of grand of repair work isn't worth it.

Hi,

Cleaned our van at the start of Aug to go to a rally ( bank holiday ) Got bitten by a horse fly and ended up in hospital instead ! ( 7 nights ) -blind & deaf on left side - all i could do was look at the lovely weather out of the window !

Nah--- its dodgy cleaning vans !!

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Yes, seconded. Coincidentally, our van always starts the journey to Dulverton clean but never, ever, arrives in that condition. The roads around there wouldn't be the same if they were not frequented by tractors. Just one of the many joys of visiting this lovely site, definitely a price worth paying.

Edited by GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

You will find for £20 the junior at the caravan servicing centre will be operating the power washer.

I have to say that power washers and caravans are best separated. The mastic joints are vulnerable enough without their use and I can't see a rain storm or road water reaching 110- 150 PSI. I just don't think it is worth the risk of inducing ingress even if I do it myself. A bucket shampoo and a cloth and maybe a mop is the better strategy; yes I know it takes 15 times as long but for the risk a couple of grand of repair work isn't worth it.

As I said earlier about the tool holding the tool. A pressure washer power is determined by many things, one being how close it is held to what you are washing, but of course if that is complicated best not to use one.

My nearest dealer will give a van exterior a "valet" for sixty pounds seems a tad expensive to me, My favourite car valet lads will do a excellent exterior car wash and hand finish for seven pounds. !!!

My nearest dealer will give a van exterior a "valet" for sixty pounds seems a tad expensive to me, My favourite car valet lads will do a excellent exterior car wash and hand finish for seven pounds. !!!

Depends on what is involved, hand polished I would say extremely good value.

Back in the Summer we were visiting friends on a CL not far from home (and not far from the CS we were using). That's on a dairy farm and there had been a fair bit of rain before we/they arrived, plus the first full day it rained all day. Rather than cycle down the lane (nigh on impossible) we drove down and did so again a couple of days later.

When I finally got around to jet washing the Bongo it took three £1 sessions with the washer to knock off the thick lumps of dried slurry of the bottom befoere I could then get to the matter of actually washing it. When I drove away,the mess I left behind was grim even though I had saved 40 seconds of jet wash to blast the muck drainward.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on what is involved, hand polished I would say extremely good value.

I am reluctant to pay that sort of money for something I can do myself, My car valeters do a exelent total valet and wax, total clean inside for twenty five pounds that is good value, as long as they don't use pressure washes I am surprised the east European valeters don't wash caravans as well,

I can earn more per hour working than I would pay to get the van cleaned, I enjoy working I do not enjoy cleaning the van. So I would happily pay up with a smile.

I enjoy being retired, Caribbean cruise this month, six months in Spain with the van. so we would have a different perspective on paying for jobs that one can do yourself . Luckily I enjoy cleaning the Van better still cleaning my black Superb, looks great when finished.

I enjoy being retired, Caribbean cruise this month, six months in Spain with the van. so we would have a different perspective on paying for jobs that one can do yourself . Luckily I enjoy cleaning the Van better still cleaning my black Superb, looks great when finished.

That is what I like to see, somebody who like myself is enjoying life, just that we are enjoying doing different things.