Audi Q5 Towball Limit

paulthomas

I'm finding confused messages relating to the towball limit on this car. Has it recently been upgraded from 80kg to 100kg as suggested by outfit matching website " Towsafe"?

I'm quite interested in a new one,but not if the limit is 80kg.

Thanks for any clarification offered.

I bet 100 is manual and 80 auto: common for this type of car

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Hi,

I can answer all your questions as an owner.

When I bought mine end of 2010 with the factory fit swivel towbar they were rated at 80kg. That tow bar was aliminium, which later became a factor in the rating.

Then in 2013 they made some minor face lift changes to the car making it lighter. Bizarrely the NW was now 100kg.

So I did some digging as I wasn't happy with having a NW limit of 80kg. After a email conversation with various Gov Depts who didn't have a clue! I conversed with Audi who said I could have the swivel tow bar changed to the new one which is made of steel and therefore have a NW of 100kg. They also offered to pay part of the £800 cost! But they wouldn't reveal why I could do that now other than say yes you can and it is legal.

But to satisfy my urge to be completely legal I obtained a copy of the Homologation certificate dated 2009 which revealed that the car has always been rated as being able to take a NW of 100kg. The limiting factor was the aluminium cast towbar which wasn't as strong as steel!

So I paid for the change and accepted the contribution from Audi UK. So my car has now got the100kg NW sticker and factory towbar NW 100kg. I doubt there are any others from 2009-2013 version that have had the modification. But then all aftermarket towbar manufacturers will now only fit a towbar to the Q5 2009> with a 100kg NW. ........so there might be some. But you need to check what limit is stamped on the towbar.

Hope that helps you. It is a brilliant tow car particularly with the 3. 0 Tdi engine.

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line

deleted.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Ern

I didn't know you could actually have a alli towbar, was the ball also alli, if so what about wear?

It looked like some kind of cast metal silver grey in colour. When I ordered it as part of the build it said aluminium folding towbar. Nothing like the steel one I've got now which is steel all the way and rusts

Audi Q5 3. 0Tdi S Line