Don't They Want To Sell Cars ?

Tandem Man

Called at a local car dealer last Thursday regarding the possible future purchase of a new tow car.

Salesman said he would ring me back yesterday afternoon. .......silence.

Rang this morning,busy so left a message to ring me. ......silence.

Rang this afternoon,busy so left a message to ring me . .....silence.

What is wrong with these people,don't they want custom ?

Plenty more dealers out there.

Ian

Vote with your feet!

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

I live in a town where large numbers of people get company cars from the VW/Audi group and private buyers are obviously not needed. If you want to experience being ignored or otherwise treated as a nuisance for entering the showroom come to Crewe. Alternatively you could try to get BMW to provide a test drive actually in the model you are interested in. I was interested in an automatic 3 series estate they provided a manual saloon.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Called at a local car dealer last Thursday regarding the possible future purchase of a new tow car.

Salesman said he would ring me back yesterday afternoon. .......silence.

Rang this morning,busy so left a message to ring me. ......silence.

Rang this afternoon,busy so left a message to ring me . .....silence.

What is wrong with these people,don't they want custom ?

Plenty more dealers out there.

Ian

Hi Ian. Which make of car were you trying to connect with?

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

If you are serious about buying then contact the sales manager. Tell him that you are a potential customer and have had a poor experience from HIS staff, it may lead to a better discount or added extra and you also get what you set out to do = bonus.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

I'm in the market for an Astra on Insignia diesel. I found that national chains have cars at less money "north of the border". They will deliver for £200 ish or I can go and fetch it.

The price differential between York and Glasgow is about £500 per car.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

VW.

Ian

Hi Ian. I don't for one minute think that you would receive that kind of disregard from a Volvo dealer.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Ian. I don't for one minute think that you would receive that kind of disregard from a Volvo dealer.

Actually it is quite strange as I have used them for years and bought our present vehicle from them.

They are usually very good.

Incidentally just been looking here :-

http://www. drivethedeal. com/default. asp?vans=false

Might be worth a thought.

Ian

+1 for Drivethedeal. Great service and prices. Used to be you'd go in a car showroom and they'd jump on you: now there seems to be loads of salesmen sitting at desks more interested in their computers than the customers.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

I live in a town where large numbers of people get company cars from the VW/Audi group and private buyers are obviously not needed. If you want to experience being ignored or otherwise treated as a nuisance for entering the showroom come to Crewe. Alternatively you could try to get BMW to provide a test drive actually in the model you are interested in. I was interested in an automatic 3 series estate they provided a manual saloon.

Totally agree David the dealers on the Street of a Thousand Car Salesmen seem to thrive on not talking to customers. How they reach sales targets is a mystery.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

My local Ford main dealer has had an appalling reputation for decades.

However even I was gobsmacked when I enquired about obtaining a new Ford Galaxy 2 years ago.

I had done my homework and one main attraction was the rear 5 seats-2 rows-could be folded completely flat.

When I mentioned this I was told in no uncertain terms that the rear seats did NOT fold completely flat.

Fortunately I knew more about Ford vehicles than the dealership :) .

Then came the utter farce of getting my hands on one before leasing.

This was not an option :D .

I was allowed to open the door of one when it was on its way to a customer!!!

I was not allowed to sit in it :D:D .

I balanced the panto performance against the VERY important fact it was less than 10 minutes drive from my house.

After my Galaxy was delivered the dealership provided faultless performance including going the extra mile when my wing mirror was vandalised IE saved me money and caused themselves extra-unpaid-work.

I will probably get my next Galaxy there as well.

I would change but there is no finer 7 seater in its class.

Is it me, but Vauxhall don't seem to be listed?

John

Certain marques disappear from DtD at times. I assume it's when they can't find a dealer willing to supply DtD customers.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

My local Skoda garage was appauling (kept me waiting 45 min for a pre-booked test drive; made me take time off work to come back on a Wednesday afternoon because they 'had the man from head office in doing special deals' and then offered me no special deal; after considerable negotiation they only agreed to £100 off list price and no bundled extras).

In the end I bought off the internet (Drive the Deal) and saved £1000 compared to the best price the local dealer could offer me.

I'd normally buy locally, but the combination of attitude and cost savings swung it for me!

I didn't get amazing service from the DtD dealer, but it was functional, and when you're saving £1000 by buying off the internet it was more than enough, and at least as good as the local dealer - unlike the local dealer they saw me at the appointed time!

It's quite strange how some dealers take this approach, I know that many probably get time wasters and so get a bit sick of no sales, but imagine how many potential customers they might turn away. ..

Went with a friend earlier this year to test drive cars for him (he'd only just got a manual license), with the intention of purchasing a used approved £8-20k car. We generally found three different attitudes between the many dealers:

1. You don't look like you can afford these so we're going to ignore you
  2. Did you know you can afford anything and everything on finance, don't worry about the test drive, we'll sort that out after your deposit
  3. "Good morning sir, how may we be of assistance"

Funnily enough the last was Toyota/Lexus and he almost bought the car on the spot.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

My friend went into a skoda dealership and was pretty much ignored and asked to come back when they had more time. .. He came back and was again ignored. ..

He wrote a strongly worded E-mail to the dealership manager quoting times and names. They wrote back very apologetically asking what they could do to make amends. He sent them the spec of the vehicle he wanted, what extras he was expecting at no cost and the kind of discount he as expecting as a very minimum.

Just to take a chance and test the water he also E-mailed three other dealers around his area within reasonable travelling distance in the hope of starting a kind of reverse auction as this is how the lease companies get their vehicles.

In the end he was offered the highest spec model with a 2k discount and free mats, mudguards etc. . for the same price as the entry level spec. Better price than DTD but he had to accept whatever colour car was offered unless he wanted to wait.

Don't go to one dealer exclusively get a reverse bid war going ;)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Having just gone through this we found this:

Local Honda dealer very helpful, coffee offered, instant p/ex valuation, followed up

Local Ford dealer - totally ignored

Ford dealer 2 put in a cold and bare office

Ford dealer 3 so laid back never followed up initial inquiry

Mazda dealer felt they didn't want business would not give p/ex valuation unless we were serious,

If our Honda dealer sold Fords we would have bought a Ford as it is we stuck with Honda.

This makes interesting reading.

http://www. telegraph. co. uk/motoring/picturegalleries/10259791/The-best-and-worst-car-dealers-by-brand-2013. html

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Having just gone through this we found this:

Local Honda dealer very helpful, coffee offered, instant p/ex valuation, followed up

Local Ford dealer - totally ignored

Ford dealer 2 put in a cold and bare office

Ford dealer 3 so laid back never followed up initial inquiry

Mazda dealer felt they didn't want business would not give p/ex valuation unless we were serious,

If our Honda dealer sold Fords we would have bought a Ford as it is we stuck with Honda.

This makes interesting reading.

http://www. telegraph. co. uk/motoring/picturegalleries/10259791/The-best-and-worst-car-dealers-by-brand-2013. html

poolebob

I walked out of Mazda because I was totally ignored for sooo long. The manager chased me down the road because I had taken a brochure. .. He thought I was selling brochures on ebay :o I gave him a piece of my mind.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Our Kia dealer is very good, we used the same salesman for last 2 cars from them. He always says hello when the car is in for a service.

My wife recommended them to a colleague-who bought a Sportage, the salesman sent my wife a £50 cheque and a thank you letter!

I was looking at a car at the local Vauxhall place at the weekend and was approached while outside by the salesman.

However trade in price on my Saab was not good, which was annoying as they have one on the forecourt(virtually same age and spec for sale at nearly twice the trade in offer!).

I know we can get a better deal but am inclined to stay with the one I have! Yes there are overheads but they are having a laugh!

Lots of dealers offering discounts and free finance.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Sell online to one of the we buy your car guys (get lots of quots) then buy through a good broker like Drive The Deal. You'll save a lot of money, time and hassle. http://www. drivethedeal. com/

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Sell online to one of the we buy your car guys (get lots of quots) then buy through a good broker like Drive The Deal. You'll save a lot of money, time and hassle. http://www. drivethedeal. com/

I got almost as good a deal going through a local dealer. (and the wife got a bunch of flowers)

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

It is indeed a strange scenario when car buying, you never know if you're going to get ignored or overwhelmed.

Initially I was buying through DTD, my choice was made up after 4 test drives in a CX-5.
one in a BMW X3, one in a XC-60, one in a CRV, and one in a SF.

Unfortunately when I finally decided to buy DTD could no longer supply the car, too many complaints from UK dealers because of the discounts.

I did the local rounds at the Mazda dealers and 90% didn't want to give a decent discount, I had no trade in.

So finally in frustration I emailed over 30 dealers throughout the country, stating exactly what car I required, and asking for the best price.
Only about 5 would give a actual figure, the rest just waffled on about demand out stripping supply.
Two gave a decent quote in Scotland, but substantially cheaper was one 25 mile away in Nottingham.

When they quoted me I knew I had found one of the original DTD UK supplying dealers, so I phoned in a deposit, and collected the car when it was ready, about 3 months later. The discount was around another £100 more than DTD.

All done through the keyboard.

Edited by xtrailman