Warped Windows - How Many Of Us?

Pebble

Just to get a better idea of what Lunar claim is an isolated issue on the 2013 Clubman & Delta models, it would be interesting to know how many of us on the forum have problems with warped windows. Just reply/post the following info:

1) When did you first report the problem to your dealer? This will tell us how long you've been waiting.

2) How many sets of front windows have you had replaced?

3) How is your dealer performing when trying to resolve the problem?

4) What's the latest up to date info you have from your dealer, not what you've gleaned off the forum?

5) Have your windows been replaced with the modified design?

Thanks in anticipation ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw my 1st example of window deformation, far worse than mine, in May this year in Spain. Reported mine in July & agreed to wait till service for something to be done, service is on Thursday 5th Dec so will post again when I have spoken to my dealer.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Front centre window reported June

None yet replaced

Dealer waiting for Lunar

Van tucked up for winter so will have job done when it goes in for 1st service (hopefully !) in March. Surely they'll have it fathomed out by then (fingers crossed)

Although I've been aware of a problem with the front windows of my Delta TI for a while I didn't actually get my dealer involved until 12th November as the windows still closed ok and the caravan was in frequent use throughout the summer. It was supplied in March 2013 and as yet no windows have been previously replaced. On 26th November I was informed by my dealer that Lunar had accepted the claim to replace all 3 front windows and as soon as my dealer receives them they will arrange a convenient time with me to get the work completed. No delivery time given.

Hi.

Has it just been Delta and Clubman models that have been affected? As i have a 2013 Lexon and its windows are fine.

Olympus. .... :)

Lunar Lexon 640 matched to an Antara 2. 2 163 Exclusive.

Hi

Problem first noticed in May whilst away in France,thought it was window seals as water was coming in, didn't realise windows were warped! it was the dealer who spotted the fault,windows have since been replaced twice we are currently waiting for the fourth and I hope final set, which will be the modification, my dealer has been told this will be in the next few weeks,so we will wait and see!

Our dealer has been very proactive in dealing with this problem.

We are however pleased with the design etc of the van, just a pity we have had this problem and it has gone on for so long. It is our fourth Lunar, if it had been our first there certainly wouldn't have been a second!

• 2 weeks later...

Took our 2013 Delta in following some water ingress on a side window after only one week in our possession on 24 October. Also pointed out a poorly fitting window catch to the offside front window. Was informed after about a week that the window was warped and would be replaced. As I write we have still not got the van back. When I ring the dealer I get mixed messages as to delivery of the new window. My last call, yesterday, was again confusing and was told the order would be chased up, with Lunar on Monday.

This is our second brand new Lunar Delta and even though we had lots of trouble with the first one, including a new front being fitted twice, we still went and bought another. We had correspondence with Claire Warbrick at Lunar over the first van, which was repaired under warranty, so I emailed her again in late September over the new issues. As yet she has not replied, which I find rather disappointing considering the money we've spent on the two vans.

It will be interesting to see if we do get a call back on Monday, as promised.

Been to Chatsworth this weekend, noticed middle window started to buckle at bottom already, just spoke to dealer going to put a claim in for all 3 front windows . Don't know when I will get them but am in no hurry . If they want they can do them first service next October . We will have to wait and see what happens . I know its only minor but its only going to get worse.

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

Spoke to my dealer today & apparently Lunar are tightening up on window claims & only authorising ones that can be PROVEN to have caused water ingress . ... read into that what you like, there must have been a lot of claims gone in.

I would say that there not fit for purpose if they are warping regardless of water ingress. When they sold me my caravan with old windows on they knew they had a problem .

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

Spoke to my dealer today & apparently Lunar are tightening up on window claims & only authorising ones that can be PROVEN to have caused water ingress . ... read into that what you like, there must have been a lot of claims gone in.

If this is the case, there's going to be an awful lot of very miffed owners that would never buy another Lunar.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Now that this statement has been issued by Lunar http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90174-front-window-issue-update/?do=findComment&comment=966972, I can now come clean and say that our new windows and in-fill strip were fitted by Lunar at their factory on the 6th December 2013.

They collected our Ti on the Thursday 5th December and returned it to us on Tuesday 10th December, a 400 mile round trip. There were one or two issues with the new in-fill strip on the 'vans return but we (us and Lunar) have now sorted these out to our satisfaction for the time being.

So, after many months of hearing nothing and no action, all seems to be coming together for those owners with warped windows and my confidence is somewhat restored in Lunar. Maybe they've learnt something from this saga - communication, it's not difficult is it?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Seeing that statement I wonder if they plan to replace the lot. Have asked my dealer to ask again about our Feb delivery van. Was told before that it would come with the old windows as it wasn't a retro fit item. Let's see if they make the change before delivery now rather than risk having to come collect it from us later.

Good to hear you're happy with the outcome. :)

Chris

If this is the case, there's going to be an awful lot of very miffed owners that would never buy another Lunar.

Hi Pebble. They will no doubt have a few stories to exchange with the Miffed Elddis Owners.

Perhaps they could start a new owners club and call it TML&EOC. The Miffed Lunar & Elddis Owners Club.

At least Lunar have responded publicly and have taken ownership of the issue.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

The faulty windows were reported in June 2013. The local dealer said he had only come across one other owner with this problem which we questioned as we had been away in June and another dealer had told us he had had 9 up to then.

Our dealer said he had had the windows on order since then but as of today they are no nearer being fitted.

We have received a letter this morning from Lunar stating that "remedial works" will be undertaken during the winter months so 2014 holidays will not be disrupted. What a joke - do Lunar think people only go away during the summer!! Thanks Lunar our Christmas/New Year plans have very definitely been ruined.

I finish by saying that I personally would never touch a Lunar caravan again - their customer service is non existent. Our local dealer has now notified us they are dropping Lunar so we will have to travel even further to have works/servicing carried out.

Our Clubman SB was bought in August and is an ex demo model which had been on display for several months. As far as we can tell, the front windows are not warped or distorted in any way but they are however very faded and across from one side to the other go from black to light grey. We were told that this would be subject to a warranty claim along with a few other minor issues and we were quite happy to wait for it to be sorted as we have the van in dry storage and no plans to go out until spring.

Reveived a letter direct from Lunar yesterday complete with photos of the planned replacement which is the 2014 style window without the large overhang as this has been replaced with a separate strip that includes the Lunar name.

Well, since posting on 14 December we were notified by the dealer that our van was to be fitted with new updated windows by Lunar engineers whilst their own engineers were shown the technique. We have today picked up the van and it looks superb. So for me Lunar have done what they said they would and I am really pleased. Full marks to Lunar and Campbells.

PS. It looks as though our van is the first one that Campbells have tackled.

Well, since posting on 14 December we were notified by the dealer that our van was to be fitted with new updated windows by Lunar engineers whilst their own engineers were shown the technique. We have today picked up the van and it looks superb. So for me Lunar have done what they said they would and I am really pleased. Full marks to Lunar and Campbells.

PS. It looks as though our van is the first one that Campbells have tackled.

Are the outermost corners of the in-fill strip stuck down securely? Mine lifted on the way back from Preston, a 200 mile journey is atrocious weather. Have stuck them back down with heavy duty double sided tape although in all fairness to Lunar they did offer to have the 'van back and try again in a "controlled environment" :rolleyes: . Job for my dealer in April 2014 me thinks.

Hopefully the dealers doing the windows retrofit will do a better job :unsure: .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

The faulty windows were reported in June 2013. The local dealer said he had only come across one other owner with this problem which we questioned as we had been away in June and another dealer had told us he had had 9 up to then.

Our dealer said he had had the windows on order since then but as of today they are no nearer being fitted.

We have received a letter this morning from Lunar stating that "remedial works" will be undertaken during the winter months so 2014 holidays will not be disrupted. What a joke - do Lunar think people only go away during the summer!! Thanks Lunar our Christmas/New Year plans have very definitely been ruined.

I finish by saying that I personally would never touch a Lunar caravan again - their customer service is non existent. Our local dealer has now notified us they are dropping Lunar so we will have to travel even further to have works/servicing carried out.

It's annoying, but its only a 2 hour job. My dealer is closed over Christmas & New Year as are most others probably, so it wont disrupt any festive plans.

Just got back from 3 days babysitting on Merseyside & opened my letter from Brian Mellor at Lunar, as far as I can see, anyone who has reported a window fault & had it accepted by their dealer will be recalled by the dealer to have the windows replaced under the Winter Rectification Programme. The work will take 2 hours & will be conducted under warranty, the enclosed picture is the same as the van on display at the NEC in October.

I assume that if you receive the letter, you will automatically be included in the recall as the 1st line reads,

'thank you for taking the time to contact your retailer regarding the problems you are experiencing with the windows fitted on your Lunar caravan'.

On the bottom of each window is a little sticker which indicates that on hot days the blinds should never been closed. Is this correct as not following this is what may have caused the warping windows?

BTW When we contacted Lunar and asked them the significance of the sticker, they had no idea and were going to contact the manufacturer, but we never heard another word about it.

Is this correct as not following this is what may have caused the warping windows?

Whilst leaving the blinds open a tad on hot days is good practice, this has nothing to do with the warped windows. The problem stems from a poor design and possible poor materials & manufacturing process.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I own a 2010 elddis with privacy glass and back in September had water pouring in top middle of both front side windows but not happened since. Reading this thread I wonder if the windows on mine could be warped to?

Are the affected windows privacy type?

Blinds only fully closed at night and 2/3rds during day to keep it cool :)

Windows were meant to be replaced in October but they sent wrong windows twice so now waiting until it goes back to factory for sides replaced hopefully :(

Lunars admission and response is very refreshing though.

Edited by Muddywheels

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

The affected Lunar windows are just a light tint and not privacy ones but the level of tint has nothing to do with the warping. It's not the whole window that warps but the over-long portion at the bottom. Have a look at the photos in one of my previous posts as this should explain what I'm on about. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/84352-more-warpedbuckleddeformed-windows/?p=894062

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Pebble it seems that you may have a later version of the same caravan that we own. Our side windows are flush fitting however the one by the kitchen basin does not fit flush like the others. Is it the same on your caravan? Thanks.