Route From Spain Avoiding Most Toll Roads?

Hi All if this is the wrong place to post this question I'm sure someone will tell me!

So I appologise in advance!

I'm currently in a Spain Mendrigorria and pondering my route home trying to avoid most toll roads, speed isn't the main priority, I have two weeks, so a couple of hours here and there is ok.

Can anyone point me to a web site/map of options, or I can always tell Sat Nag to avoid Tolls!

Thanx in advance

Thomas

Which port are you using?

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

From north west Spain you can cross the border into France and follow the A10 for a short distance toll free, then N10 north as far as A10 toll free through Tours, then N154 near Droux and up to Rouen, then follow your nose to Calais. Not toll free but pretty good and minimum tolls. The best web site is viammichelin. com where you can enter what type of route and if you have a caravan and it will show the route and toll costs.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Ern

Isn't the N10 now a toll section between

From north west Spain you can cross the border into France and follow the A10 for a short distance toll free, then N10 north as far as A10 toll free.

The best web site is viammichelin. com where you can enter what type of route and if you have a caravan and it will show the route and toll costs.

North WEST Spain?

Wasn't the N10 tolled in May between Bordeaux and the Spanish border? According to ViaMichelin €16. 30 with a caravan.

Apparently this is half price until all the roadworks are completed. Unfortunately there is no real alternative route.

N10 tolls

We traveled south that way in April and paid €9. 8 . When we returned in late June it was €15 which I think is the full price for class 2 now.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Hm. I wasn't aware of that change to the toll on the N10 near Brdeaux. However the use of via Michelin will show the latest status.

Bejay. Yes North West(ish).

Ern

Agree with the route suggested or you will probably find via the N/D820 and A20 about the same sort of times and mileages.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Just get viamichelin to do it for you and tick the box (in the extras section?) that says something like 'avoid tolls.' It does a pretty good job.

We were on a site E of Bayonne in September. There is (as there always is) a normal road running parallel to the autoroute unless the autoroute is free. The D817 runs parallel to the A64, but you can use the A64 free from J20 up to Toulouse. When the A20 north of Toulouse becoms chargeable go on the D820 to J54 where it is free again all the way to Vierzon. The D2020 runs parallel to Orleans where you can pick up the A10 to the N154 to Chartres and on to Rouen. Thence the D928 to Abbeville and St Omer. The D943 is then an easy 25Km run to Calais. (Try the fritterie on the top side of the square in St Omer - superb.)

The alternative at the bottom end is the D824 to Dax and Mont-de-Marsan then the D932 which becomes the N524 to Langon. then the D11/D1113 to Bordeaux. If you have longer then the D10 from Langon is very pleasant but can be congested in places. From Bordeaux take the N10/D910 to Poitiers, and Chartres where you can pick up the route above. Allow plenty of time for Rouen as there are serious detours due to the bridge over the Seine being closed (Google Rouen bridge fire.)

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Allow plenty of time for Rouen as there are serious detours due to the bridge over the Seine being closed (Google Rouen bridge fire.)

Almost all the many forum posts here and elsewhere state there is virtually no delay involved.

Hm. I wasn't aware of that change to the toll on the N10 near Brdeaux. However the use of via Michelin will show the latest status.

Bejay. Yes North West(ish).

We obviously didn't have the same geography teacher.

Wiki: Spain also shares land boundaries with France and Andorra in the northeast,

Who's a clever little boy then? I was referring to the Western end of the border between Spain and France, as opposed to the Eastern end of it. Most people would know this and ignore such an error as they would understand what was being said. Your nit picking is what drives a lot of people off these forums.

Ern

Who's a clever little boy then? I was referring to the Western end of the border between Spain and France, as opposed to the Eastern end of it. Most people would know this and ignore such an error as they would understand what was being said. Your nit picking is what drives a lot of people off these forums.

Correct.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

As far as delays in Rouen go, during the summer, in peak holiday period at peak traffic times, some people using the 'official' Rouen detour, with a diversion onto the A29 autoroute and on the N151, faced serious delays of up to an hour at the toll booths. Those taking the alternative toll-free route, via the left bank of the Seine, Pont de l'Arche, and the N154, had no problem whatsoever. Two of our friends were travelling south at the same time, one was stuck on the autoroute for ages, the other went via the N154!