Is This The Solution To A Wobbly Rear End?

Wunny

Having felt the rear of the van wobble a bit when pitched and the steadies are down, I did a bit of a Google search and it seems to be a common occurrence over a wide range of vans.

Anyway, the search led me to this find, it looks effective. Any one got one?

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=wAOxCFrrYRo&feature=youtu. be

"Deze is te koop bij Handelsonderneming P&H voor info kunt u altijd een email sturen naar: pieter. hylke@gmail. com"

and via bablefish I got this translation

"This is for sale at trading company P&H for info, you can always send an email to: pieter. hylke@gmail. com"

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Hi Wunny. I would think that it would do everything that the YouTube video shows,but only on a solid surface like concrete or asphalt.

I don't think it would be quite as effective on soft ground even if using timber pads beneath the feet of the steadies.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hmmm, I think I'm going to be experimenting over the winter.

A bit of cross bracing maybe.

Lots of poles from tents & dead trailer tent to play with. Tinkering time is coming! :)

There used to be a company in North Baddesley near Southampton that made a item like this I don't know if their still in business.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

NOTE: Van is sitting on concrete in video!!!!!!!!

Caravans still wobble on concrete IF legs are fully extended.

It's the principles of ‘ties and struts' that makes this a more stable option. ..which would be the same on any surface.

Alternatively don't drop the legs so far and use blocks.

Is the van made steadier by using blocks. Ive never heard that one. I never us them. I just place the yellow flat discs under, am I missing something. ???????

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

It seems to be a better idea than the old one where they used braden cable with adjusters to form a "X" between the legs.

I use lightweight blocks, they seem to keep mine stable

med_gallery_384_297_380404.jpg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It seems to be a better idea than the old one where they used braden cable with adjusters to form a "X" between the legs.

I use lightweight blocks, they seem to keep mine stable

med_gallery_384_297_380404.jpg

Are they just polystyrene?

I have a good amount of Wedi board scrap which is pretty much a high density styrene board. I cut coud some up in seconds.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Is the van made steadier by using blocks. Ive never heard that one. I never us them. I just place the yellow flat discs under, am I missing something. ???????

If the leg NEEDS to be fully extended to reach the ground the caravan will wobble much more from side to side due to the length of the 'support'. Using jacking pads or blocks effectively 'lifts the ground up' reducing the amount of leg extension.

I know this because my drive is sloping. If I extend the rear legs to the floor (almost full stretch) it wobbles about. But I have 2x 8" blocks that I now shove under the legs (same position, same concrete drive) and the stability is significantly better.

Of course this is an extreme example.

Edited by ericfield

In addition to using blocks under the steadies so that they are not fully extended, we have found that the 'van is much more stable and less wobbly if the jockey wheel is lifted slightly after the steadies have been wound down. We do this when first pitching and then every so often as the 'van settles.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

. .. if the jockey wheel is lifted slightly after the steadies have been wound down.

. ..

There's a can of worms we can debate for a while. :D

hawkaye :beardy:

i like it, I wish I could find the web site, if there is one.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

i like it, I wish I could find the web site, if there is one.

email

pieter. hylke@gmail. com & let us know how you get on.

Are they just polystyrene?

I have a good amount of Wedi board scrap which is pretty much a high density styrene board. I cut coud some up in seconds.

Its cut from high density styrene used as packing sheets etc, delivery lorries used to off load it on us :)

I also cut some to fit the bottom of our shower so the kids could reach the loo, I find it handy too B)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

There's a can of worms we can debate for a while. :D

Ahhh but I deliberately didn't say that I lift the jockey wheel completely up - that definitely would open the can of worms. ..... Ssshhhhhh ! :D

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

The less the legs are extended, the greater the forces in the whole mechanism and therefore the greater the danger of overloading the legs and causing potential damage to the legs themselves. Just something to remember.

Another good idea, I wonder if someone else has already invented it ;-)

Cheeky ;) ;)

:D