Senator S6 (2008) In-Board Water Pump Query

TenStar

Hi Folks

Just picked up our 'new to us' S6 Indiana - absolutely delighted :D

Query on the Whale on-board water pump. Seems to pump the water through and when its going the flow rate is great but it seems to take a long time to flush the air from the system and fill the hot tank. Whilst its doing this the hot especially 'hisses and spits' a lot. Seems that sometimes when you turn the tap off the pump pressurises the system and cuts out sometimes it seems to want to carry on running . ... we've been switching the pump off when it does this.

Also noticed that when the pump is running there always seems to be some air flowing through the clear pipework by the pump.

Cant see any leaks in the system, Hot water tank drain is CLOSED.

I'm assuming that the pressure switch is in the pump and not user adjustable.

I've no experience of this system, previous vans had submersible pump which cut out a few seconds after the tap was closed.

What should I expect from the Whale on-board pump, do they take longer to cut out, once its primed itself should there be any air flowing through the pipework with the water?

Am I missing anything obvious - connect pickup hose, set values to run of Aquaroll, open cold tap, switch pump on, wait for it prime, switch hot tap on wait for that to prime, turn tap off. An I missing soemthing?

All comment/opinion/suggestion welcome.

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold

I have the same system when filling I open the taps farthest away which in your case would be the shower until you have both hot and cold water running freely without coughing and spluttering, do not open the tap at your sink once the water is ok in the bathroom close the bathroom taps and open the the sink tap in the central position and this allows air to be expelled from both the Hot and cold water system at the same time. if you can see air bubbles in the water pipes the pump will not behave as expected until the air is expelled.

one word of warning when you are draining the system before you leave the caravan make sure that you turn both of the blue levers towards the body of the pump and leaving the pump running for approx 1 minute, if you don't the water inside the pump could freeze and you will need a new pump.

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dougb

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

I flush the air out by using the shower feed to fill the loo. by the time I've done that, we're flowing water.

if air is still getting in, it might be time to change the o rings on the inlet socket. I seem to need to change them every 3 or 4 years.

I flush the air out by using the shower feed to fill the loo. by the time I've done that, we're flowing water.

if air is still getting in, it might be time to change the o rings on the inlet socket. I seem to need to change them every 3 or 4 years.

Good thought, where are the O rings - in the inlet adapter mounted on the side of the caravan OR on the detachable hose that drops into the Aquaroll?

Good thought, where are the O rings - in the inlet adapter mounted on the side of the caravan OR on the detachable hose that drops into the Aquaroll?

On the inlet on the side of the caravan. There are two of them. I use the official (whale?) O rings - they are quite slim

We had a similar situation at the weekend. We filled the Aquaroll, primed the system. filled the kettle no problem. A few hours later and a few washing up bowls later we used the tap and there was loads of air in the system. Checked the Aquaroll - it seemed very empty for the amount of water we had used. Anyway, we refilled the Aquaroll. This happenend a couple of times. At one point we thought air was getting in because the little flap wasn't closed prperly. ...... Eventually, after having refilled the Aquaroll a fourth time that day it dawns on one of us that it might be the Aquaroll leaking - and yes ! We use it on its side and the top filler cap wasn't fastened tightly so the water was gradually escaping onto the hardstanding and soaking away ! Duh ! :rolleyes:

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

You shouldn't see air in the clear pipe near the pump. you most probably have a leak, could be the o seals mentioned above and could be a poor fitting push fitting on the pipe. I have had this, so check the joints. Also these types of pump do suffer from build up of deposits inside the pump, this effects the pumping ability. It is possible to strip and clean them, but you can also buy new pump heads which are about £35 which is a lot cheaper than a replacement pump.

I would go for the cheap option first the o seals and the possible air leaks. Any small leaks on the inlet side of the pump will not show water leaks as this side is not pressurised so check the joints and the suction tube outside.

It is also worth a check for small blockages in the inlet side as this will reduce the pump pressure and its ability to expell the air. Some of these pumps have a filter cage behind the push fitting that screws onto the intake side, I have had this block and give similar results.

Good luck

Hi All,

Please feel free to contact us to discuss your water system queries. A member of our team will be able to talk you through your installation and answer any queries about your Whale product.

Tel: 028 9127 0531

E-mail: info@whalepumps. com

We look forward to hearing from you,

Many thanks,

Aoiffe

Whale Support

Thanks for all the info, hints and tips guys much appreciated.

We only got the van on Saturday and had the one night away so not much time to investigate but the system did seem to work better running off the inboard tank, which suggests the 'O' rings on the external connector may be the problem. I'll gat some new O rings and re-test at the weekend. I'm also going to shorten and refit the flexable hose running from the inside of the caravan wall to the inlet side of the pump, bit long and coiled up. Dont think its a probelm as such but it looks untid and will allow me to chack that for blockages.

Might also strip the pump head and clean that out just for good measure. Anybody know if I need replacenent seals/gaskets to do this?

Thanks for all the responsed, much appreciated.

You can't get spares or gaskets for the pump head, only a replacement pump. If it's working leave it alone until it isn't.

If you do decide to take it to bits be very careful that you don't damage the diaphragm or valves otherwise you will have to buy a replacement head.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

You can't get spares or gaskets for the pump head, only a replacement pump. If it's working leave it alone until it isn't.

If you do decide to take it to bits be very careful that you don't damage the diaphragm or valves otherwise you will have to buy a replacement head.

Thanks for the tip on that. if the O rings fix the problem I'll leave the pump alone.

You could also do what weve done on our Senator. Conventional submersible pump in the Aquaroll feeding into the onboard tank, a separate switch inside along with a high level indicator. Save mucking about with valves, simply switch the pump on to fill the tank.

J

We have the same van as you and I blow the water from the pipes from the shower hose moving the selector valve from hot to cold a few times then afterwards I remove the pump and drain it as I had the water that lies in the diaphragm freeze one year and had to buy a new pump £90 is iirc. Make a note of the three wires if you do this as the pump running light doesnt work if you connect them wrongly.

Also check that the toilet pump has had the modification to add a second drain otherwise that will also freeze up,you should have two black pipes with plugs in inside the toilet access door over the cassette.

Good luck with it all

Bailey Indiana S. 6 and Hyundai i800 auto

If your getting air in the system, especially if the van is new to you and has not been used for a while, check the Carbon Filter on the pipe in the Aquaroll, if it hasn't been used for a while, the filter could by dry and is floating to the top. Also don't store the pipe rolled up, let it lay stretched out when not in in use it helps to stop the Pipe getting a curved memory and not wanting to stay at the bottom of the Aquaroll, especially if you decide not to use a Carbon Filter.

Two new O rings on the water inlet socket on the side of the caravan, smear of Vaseline and all is good.

Also vented the system by starting with the shower head and working back towards the kitchen taps. Bit like bleeding brakes.

Thanks for all the tips and info, much appreciated.

Two new O rings on the water inlet socket on the side of the caravan, smear of Vaseline and all is good.

Also vented the system by starting with the shower head and working back towards the kitchen taps. Bit like bleeding brakes.

Thanks for all the tips and info, much appreciated.

Just a little tip. ....a small amount of vegetable oil would be better, the Vaseline may cause the o rings to swell.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Just a little tip. ....a small amount of vegetable oil would be better, the Vaseline may cause the o rings to swell.

Thanks for that, I'll action next time we're out in the van.