A Couple Of Cold Nights In The Orion

Wunny

After reading posts about the Whale heating in Bailey caravans, being not warm enough, cold spots and noise from the fan keeping people awake at night, we wondered if we would experience the same problems.

Night one was a windy night and the icy blast that came up through the air vent at floor level

under the oven, was soon overcome by temporarily covering the vent. No gas on, so no CO risks and there are plenty of other vents to let air into the van without the jet blast of the one we covered up.

With the vent covered, we didn't have any problems with cold feet when sitting at the front end, the two heating vents sent more than enough hot air forward and low enough to keep us toastie!

Bedtime came and even with the heating turned down, we were far too warm. But that was my fault. With the heating set to 1000 Watts and the thermostat to the 10 o'clock position on the dial was just one click too high. We slept most of the night with the duvet off of us, as it was easier than crawling down the bed to turn the switch.

The 2nd night with the dial set to the 9 o'clock position was bliss. A good night's sleep was had!

Fan noise on the 1000 Watts setting, was a gentle purring, so not of any disturbance during the night. On 2000 watts the fan speed doubles, but we did not find it intrusive at all, as it was only on that setting when we were up & about.

So far, I cannot fault this van, it does just what we want it to do!

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Very interesting. Am using my Orion in a couple of weeks for the first time for a winter break and SWMBO is convinced we'll be cold, despite us always being snug in it in the past. Will show her this thread to further my cause!

Yes we have no cause for complaint regarding the heating in our 440/4.

If it is cold we leave it on 500 and at 12 o'clock for the fan.

Nice and quiet.

Ian

How quiet should it be?

We have to raise voices to talk on 2000 watts, 1000 I couldn't possibly sleep but it's okay in the day and certainly doesn't purr, more like a quietish roar. 500 is very quiet and I barely know it's on.

Does that sound right?

It was never the fact that the Whale heater would not heat our van. There was always sufficient heat but it was noisey and it was not constant. I think the problem in our van was that the heater was fitted directly under where my wife rests her head on the fixed bed. Consequently the early heater came on with a whoosh, even on the 500 watt setting, and woke her up. Whale have been brilliant and fixed this plus have supplied baffles that reduce fan noise. The bit about it being constant applies to the fact that the thermostat has a broad cut in/cut out difference of 3 degrees C or more so consequently you feel a bit chilly before the heater turns back on again. This is of little importance during the warmer months but is noticable when temperatures drop below freezing. We dont seem to be plagued with draughts in the 430/4 so are grateful for that and in general love the van.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

It was never the fact that the Whale heater would not heat our van. There was always sufficient heat but it was noisey and it was not constant. I think the problem in our van was that the heater was fitted directly under where my wife rests her head on the fixed bed. Consequently the early heater came on with a whoosh, even on the 500 watt setting, and woke her up. Whale have been brilliant and fixed this plus have supplied baffles that reduce fan noise. The bit about it being constant applies to the fact that the thermostat has a broad cut in/cut out difference of 3 degrees C or more so consequently you feel a bit chilly before the heater turns back on again. This is of little importance during the warmer months but is noticable when temperatures drop below freezing. We dont seem to be plagued with draughts in the 430/4 so are grateful for that and in general love the van.

Did you contact whale direct? SHWBO insists ours is noisy. Didn't know a fix might be available

Yes I did contact whale direct but if I remember correctly whale may have contacted me first after reading some of my earlier comments made about their heaters on this forum. I do have the mobile number of the product manager but I won't give it out without his say-so. I sugest you go through the normal channels and I am sure you will find them very helpful.

Don't turn the fan on. Quieter and warmer. Battery also survives the night.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Don't turn the fan on. Quieter and warmer. Battery also survives the night.

Sadly this is not possible with the whale heater. The fan runs all the time the heater is working.