Awning Phobia Developing!

absart

Ok, so as a newbie to caravanning maybe we've been a little ambitious. Buy the biggest caravan we can, take our young family, drive a navara (after we were warned!), get a massive awning. ....

See my last post for the story so far on our doomed European tour, but in the mean time last night I was very scared! We have never put up an awning before and certainly weren't expecting force 8 gales! Can a caravan peel?! I really did think the side was going to rip off in the wind. We went out time and time again to re tension the poles and put weights all around where we could. Basically didn't sleep from about 3 am. It's taken down now, but to say our learning curve is steep is an understatement. Off to get storm straps tomorrow. .....

Does anyone know of an indoor campsite? ; )

Hi all i am going to say is been there done that got the t-shirt

it is all the fun of caravaning later on you will stand back

and laugh about it and say the same dont let spoil your

holiday it can only get better :rolleyes:

Coachman festival 580-4 -Freelander 1 TD4

Yeah we also have an awning phobia after we were away for new year and the wind blew the awning over the roof of the van and ripped it clean out the awning rail just leaving the beading in the rail.

We now manage perfectly well without an awning.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

You know when it's gone wrong when you here a massive bang in the night open the blind to check the awning and can see the van next door.

Outcome was awning sitting on the roof of the van with the poles stuck in the air!!!!!!

Removing an assembled awning at 4 in the morning pitch black, lashing down and blowing a hooley is not much fun, however it's not put us off putting it up again.

The only thing is I have an extra storm strap and use longer pegs as I thinks what happened is one side came unpegged then the wind got under and shook the storm straps off then it just went.

Hope this helps and that you start to have some better luck.

Mike.

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Yeah we also have an awning phobia after we were away for new year and the wind blew the awning over the roof of the van and ripped it clean out the awning rail just leaving the beading in the rail.

We now manage perfectly well without an awning.

Wow that was lucky. I have seen that happen before but tearing the awning rail off the side of the caravan.

It reminds me of a wild night in Oliva a few years ago. A gale got up in the night and the awning was banging around. I got up to find that the whole thing was lifting a foot or so off the ground and crashing down. One fibreglass pole was already split. I stood there in my PJs holding the top pole to keep the awning down. Looking out the window around the site there were many others doing the same. Whenever there was a lull in the wind we were all out checking our guys and storm straps and making sure each other was ok, then the gale started again and it was back to holding the poles. What a nightmare. We learned later that the same storm had demolished a sports centre near Barcelona killing several.

Since then we have always been wary of wind and kept an eye on the forecast, ready to take the awning down in advance.

NB whatever you do do not attempt to take the awning down in a gale. It will be whipped out of your hands and could do serious damage to the caravan.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Reminds me of the time my parents were in my caravan at St Andrews.

They went out for the day and on their return the awning was gone.

Blown out to sea not a thing survived apart from a few pegs in the ground.

The caravan was undamaged.

Wow that was lucky. I have seen that happen before but tearing the awning rail off the side of the caravan.

Didnt rip the awning rail off. Just ripped the awning off the beading leaving the beading in the rail.

Awning flew over the roof of caravan complete with poles not actually touching the roof and landed other side of van some way up the site. Thank god there were no caravans that side of us else the awning would have flew straight into the side of it. One of the poles smashed a hole in our front centre window.

Just use a caravan store in the summer months now!

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Truck ratchet strap with two big spikes each end, three smaller ratchet straps on two corners and centre pole, all side fastenings with secure pegs(whatever it takes). Won't hold it in a hurricane and will still flap but should hold in most circumstances.

Awnings out of control in high winds can have your eye out. If you get caught out get the poles down from inside and let the canvas collapse against the van. Zipping panels out and trying to take it down in high winds conventionally is asking for trouble.

I saw a guy in Switzerland once having to take a knife to the awning and cutting it away from the van as things were really going pear shaped in an alpine storm.

Edited by Fenester

We have survived quite a lot of strong wind at Conil de la Frontera in Andalucia, a notably windy place. As others have said nothing is going to stand up to a hurricane but we have found nailing down every single anchorage point on the awning and using a storm strap inside the awning on the tips of the poles has kept ours attached. I also run a strap around the van horizontally from the handles and this helps with the flapping

This is a bit of film of us putting the awning on a breezy day and if you stick with it the same site when it blew for 3 days and nights blowing dustbins down the road but fortunately not the awning.

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=J_YyBGj0-bU

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Storm straps are great as long as you put them in the right place, near the front and don't forget to twist the straps to stop oscillation. In really bad winds I run one over the front and top of the van just in case. Most problems come from the wind getting under the skirt so its sometimes a good idea to buy some plastic clip on holes so as to give you extra security. Its worth the extra effort when putting the awning up as running around in PJ,s in the middle of the night isn't that funny.

Im back to motorhoming with a scooter on the back again.

Storm straps, extra guying points and guy ropes hold the awning well and also an internal storm prop on the front corner pole. South Wales with up to 60mph gusts.

IMG_2148a.jpg

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

I note that you have extra guys coming from tabs under the windows

Storm straps, extra guying points and guy ropes hold the awning well and also an internal storm prop on the front corner pole. South Wales with up to 60mph gusts.

IMG_2148a.jpg

We put these on during that hurricane in Oliva and they all tore off the awning!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

You know when it's gone wrong when you here a massive bang in the night open the blind to check the awning and can see the van next door.

Outcome was awning sitting on the roof of the van with the poles stuck in the air!!!!!!

Removing an assembled awning at 4 in the morning pitch black, lashing down and blowing a hooley is not much fun, however it's not put us off putting it up again.

The only thing is I have an extra storm strap and use longer pegs as I thinks what happened is one side came unpegged then the wind got under and shook the storm straps off then it just went.

Hope this helps and that you start to have some better luck.

Mike.

You kept that one quiet mate!

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

You kept that one quiet mate!

Thought I had told you! Angelsey 18 months ago.

Got 12 inch pegs and 2 storm straps now so it's going nowhere 😉

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

• 1 month later...

We have had no luck with awnings we had it up on a site near York went out for the day and came back to our van all barriered off and what was left of our awning the mains cable to the site arced and set fire to our awning lucky for us the warden managed to zip out the panels and there was no damage to our van

Then with the replacement awning we were on a site in Edinburgh over new year when they had a storm and with the ground being wet the pegs just lifted and so did the storm straps had to battle in the wind to get it down with a small bit of damage to our van

Got a new bailey 620/6 last year and ordered our new awning from our dealer only to find when it went up it was at least 25cm short so had to get a new one from Isabella my wife hates awnings now

L200 animal with bailey Olympus 620/6

I had a Swift Conqueror and a Dorema awning at Flamborough 3 years ago. The wind got up but we were OK, we had storm straps AND a huge ratchet strap over the top. We survived the first night, went shopping the next morning and it was really rough. We came back to find the awning rail had opened up, the awning had pulled out and poles flapping about with the canvas were punching holes in the side of the caravan. The reult was a write off by the insurers.

J

Are people really putting awnings up at the moment, in this weather ? :o

Sorry, just looked at the date on the OP - 1st Dec.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I've always believed that the only reason an awning is necessary is to have somewhere to put the stuff from inside the caravan when on site.

I hate the ****** things - they can spoil a good holiday. :blush: Going on and off site is soooo much easier and pleasanter sans awning.

Edited by J300C

We only put our awning up in the summer. It's a porch awning and very easy to erect. We use it as a conservatory in which we eat during the evening when it's too cold to eat outside but warm enough inside - which is usually most of the summer. The rest of the time we eat in the caravan.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.