Caravanner's Cold Feet

ericfield

Was watching the Caravan Finder Tv prog last night. It dedicated the whole programme to the testing of 2 Adria caravan's Grade 3 insulation.

Why it took so long to cover the topic, heaven knows, but that's another story.

For those who didnt see it. ...

They cooled 2 caravans down to -15C in a chamber then started up the respective heating systems inside. After the test was completed, they notched the temp in the chamber down to -32C and started using a thermal camera.

Outside you saw heat escaping from the topmost areas of windows and locker doors. Made me wonder why they don't fit a thermal 'curtain' inside the locker doors ?

What was really interesting was the blue (cold) floor inside the caravan.

They proudly showed the red/orange (warm) walls and furniture but totally ignored the fact the heat wasnt reaching the floor. It was like a blue carpet through an orange coloured caravan!

Sadly . ...my wife saw the programme and immediately expostulated. ...

"I TOLD YOU MY FEET WER'E ALWAYS COLD!!!"

The sad part was . ..this was the Alde heating system.

Gave nice uniform heating. ...above shin height.

They didnt expand on the actual temperature range the camera was using. 'Blue' may have only been a few degrees lower than the Red/orange room set at 20C.

But it was a glaring example of the heat not reaching ALL the areas.

Edited by ericfield

One of the requirements of G3 is that the temperature variation in the living area must not vary at different locations by more than (I think) +/- 7degC. That's quite a big variation in my opinion.

Ern

One of the requirements of G3 is that the temperature variation in the living area must not vary at different locations by more than (I think) +/- 7degC. That's quite a big variation in my opinion.

Does that include floor level ?

Does that include floor level ?

From the programme . ..NO.

They put temperature sensors around walls, near windows and at table height in the middle of the van. I saw no probes at floor level.

Edited by ericfield

It's about time underfloor heating was being fitted to caravans

There's a really easy and low cost way to do it. Look in advice section, go to caravan electrics and read about installing under floor heating.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

We fitted under carpet heating using the film type elements, it was really easy and the results are fab. Lovely warm feet and it keeps an even background temperature in our van. Our van is a twin axle which is sadly deficient in heating at the bedroom end of the van so this has made a lot of difference.

It can easily be removed from our current van and installed in our next van when we get around to buying one.

The heating mats, barrier films and thermostat cost £103. 00 so I think it was a good investment.

Cold feet? For me, at least, this has been a thing of the past since getting the Alde system. This is the first 'van in 25 years I've actually felt too warm in. Previously ('early '80,s)I had a Dandy 6B folder with under floor heater. ..what a way to warm your toes first thing in the morning LOL, but it spoilt me for anything else.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

We fitted under carpet heating using the film type elements, it was really easy and the results are fab. Lovely warm feet and it keeps an even background temperature in our van. Our van is a twin axle which is sadly deficient in heating at the bedroom end of the van so this has made a lot of difference.

It can easily be removed from our current van and installed in our next van when we get around to buying one.

The heating mats, barrier films and thermostat cost £103. 00 so I think it was a good investment.

Would be interested in where you got these. ..are they low rated for caravan use?

Feel a winter project coming on.

I do not believe the heat loss through a modern floor would be significant, other than through the vents and drop holes (draughts). It makes no sense to me to add an additional heat source to solve a draught, when the draught can be easily dealt with. There is enough heat output in the existing heating system.

Ern

We used to have cold feet before we had Alde heating. It was due to the draught from the blown air. We don't have cold feet anymore. Snug as a bug in rug!

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I do not believe the heat loss through a modern floor would be significant, other than through the vents and drop holes (draughts). It makes no sense to me to add an additional heat source to solve a draught, when the draught can be easily dealt with. There is enough heat output in the existing heating system.

I was assuming that the problem was heat distribution.

Unless there is some form of circulation, the hot air wont get back to the floor.(Cold air being denser)

Judging by comments here and on other threads previously, I must be in the minority; I have blown air heating in my van and have found it to be lovely once it gets warmed up, we end up having to turn it down or off as we get a bit hot!

not experienced the Alde system in practice so can't compare but ours does us just fine! :)

Judging by comments here and on other threads previously, I must be in the minority; I have blown air heating in my van and have found it to be lovely once it gets warmed up, we end up having to turn it down or off as we get a bit hot!

not experienced the Alde system in practice so can't compare but ours does us just fine! :)

same here, good old gas or elecky heating does us just fine too. Oh and bed socks cos my feet are cold regardless! :D

Compass Shadow 1988

not experienced the Alde system in practise so can't compare but ours does us just fine! :)

Hi

A lot depends on the size of your van, and when you use the van.

We had a Coachman Pastiche 500/5 which we used march till October and the blown air heating in that was great, like you many times had to open the door because it was too warm.

When we changed our van to a Bailey Pageant Limousin which was about half as big again to the Pastiche, with the same size blown air heating we found it cold, we also started using the van 11 1/2 months a year, so the weather was also colder.

I installed the electric under carpet heating which did heat the floor, but only ever gave a background heat, using 550watt of power which means I could not use my blown air on 2Kw, without tripping the site box.

We have since changed van again same size van but with Alde heating the difference has to be felt to be believed constant heat, been away this weekend frost both mornings outside, inside warm as toast, will never consider another van WITHOUT alde.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

We have a twin axle van with Alde heating and caravan from March into November but I never wear shoes or slippers in the van but don't have cold feet.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Would be interested in where you got these. ..are they low rated for caravan use?

Feel a winter project coming on.

Ours is a very long van and the only blown air vent for the back end of the caravan stops just before foot of the bed and the output is useless hence the under carpet heating. If you go down this route don't get the low tog underlay from Carpet Right, they are rip-off merchants. I bought ours on-line and it was much cheaper.

Let me know if you need any further info.

The company we got ours from is Living Heat, here is there website address www. underfloorheatingworld. co. uk

Don't use carpetright full stop. If you need anything for flooring PM me for cheapest websites.

Terry

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

It's interesting and encouraging reading all the positive comments on the Alde system. This wasn't intended as a knock Alde thread. The other caravan in the programme had the Truma boiler system. ..and it didnt distribute heat around the interior as well as the Alde according to their graphed data. It's just that they only showed the thermal imaging on the caravan with the 'Alde' caravan.

They were all happily sat inside, in shirtsleeves, confirming how warm they were. And yet . ..the thermal camera showed a distinct difference between the whole walkway and the rest of caravan interior.

As I said, depending on the calibration range, the blue could be only a few degrees lower. And within a tolerable range for all you barefooted folks. LOL

Nevertheless. ...THEIR instruments showed the Alde heating didn't warm the floor as much as the rest of the caravan. Hardly surprising, as heat rises. It was just an observation.

I sometimes get cold feet in the lounge area on our Delta with Alde as there''s a cut-out vent under the front drawers and cold air definitely blows comes out when the winds blowing outside.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

As can be seen from my profile, I have two virtually identical caravans but a major difference is that the Buccaneer has Truma blown air and the Bessacarr has Alde full central heating.

I've installed UFH in both caravans (and two others previously) - it makes a considderable difference in both caravans and with both types of heating systems.

My experience is :-

1) If you purchase your UFH from ANY source other than AllbriteUK then you are paying a mark-up because Allbrite UK are the copyright holders and owners of Advanced Heating Technologies (AHT) and sole suppliers to the UK market of the AHT ribbon mat system.- They don't care who their customers are they charge the same price.

2) Buying packaged systems is massively expensive compared to buying component parts.

3) Using a thermostatic control is just an expensive waste of money and will add about 100% on the installation cost of the heating system - the power consumption circa 500Watts is so small that it can be left switched on permanently and the heat controlled by opening vents. or switching off (both of my current systems cost under £50 to install)

4) Don't buy carpets or underlay from ANY of the big stores use your local small time carpet shop his prices will be much lower and he sells exactly the same products - use end-of-roll carpets cut-offs (low tog underlay should be no more than 0. 8 tog and carpet should be no more than 1. 8 tog)

5) Don't buy your grounding net from your UFH supplier - his minimum sale is much more than you will ever need and his prices are far to expensive- buy chicken wire from B&Q!

Lastly Do considder installing in bathroom - I never have, but Terry did and I'm impressed with what he did so will do that next time I install.

Pete

As can be seen from my profile, I have two virtually identical caravans but a major difference is that the Buccaneer has Truma blown air and the Bessacarr has Alde full central heating.

I've installed UFH in both caravans (and two others previously) - it makes a considderable difference in both caravans and with both types of heating systems.

My experience is :-

1) If you purchase your UFH from ANY source other than AllbriteUK then you are paying a mark-up because Allbrite UK are the copyright holders and owners of Advanced Heating Technologies (AHT) and sole suppliers to the UK market of the AHT ribbon mat system.- They don't care who their customers are they charge the same price.

2) Buying packaged systems is massively expensive compared to buying component parts.

3) Using a thermostatic control is just an expensive waste of money and will add about 100% on the installation cost of the heating system - the power consumption circa 500Watts is so small that it can be left switched on permanently and the heat controlled by opening vents. or switching off (both of my current systems cost under £50 to install)

4) Don't buy carpets or underlay from ANY of the big stores use your local small time carpet shop his prices will be much lower and he sells exactly the same products - use end-of-roll carpets cut-offs (low tog underlay should be no more than 0. 8 tog and carpet should be no more than 1. 8 tog)

5) Don't buy your grounding net from your UFH supplier - his minimum sale is much more than you will ever need and his prices are far to expensive- buy chicken wire from B&Q!

Lastly Do considder installing in bathroom - I never have, but Terry did and I'm impressed with what he did so will do that next time I install.

Thanks for that info.

Thanks for that info.

As I said erlier, go to advice section and under caravan electris, read the thread about installing underfloor heating.

Pete

As we are warm weather caravanners and are leaving our van in Spain next year our heating will be rarely used, with that in mind it would be nice if there could be vans with minimal heating, cheaper to purchase, and super heated vans with under floor heating which as well which is logical for winter use, more expensive to purchase. there must be many van where the heating is rarely used .