Alko Hitch Lock Problem

Ive had an alko stabilser hitch lock security device for several years, and always had difficulty in getting the barrel insert to lock, its a fiddle everytime. My son took delivery of a new caravan weekend, and I recommneded an Alko Hitch Lock. His first question was, youve guessed, why is it so difficult to lock it. How have others on this forum fared with this lock, is there a knack. Ive e mailed Alko and had no reply as yet.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

I suspect that there is a knack but to date haven't found it.

Same lock on different vans so probably not the van at fault. ..

Half the time it goes on and locks first time, as easy as you like but the other times (especially if the weather is bad) it's on, try to lock it, rattle it around a bit, try to lock it, swear at it, rattle it about some more and try to lock it again. Take it right off and start again. Eventually it just falls into place and locks itself leaving me wondering what all the fuss was about ???? :unsure:

Always unlocks and removes easily though.

I find that inserting a thin knife blade or feeler gauge beside the barrel gives it enough friction to lock and unlock easier without the barrel trying to spin

I find that inserting a thin knife blade or feeler gauge beside the barrel gives it enough friction to lock and unlock easier without the barrel trying to spin

On ours i am sure the barrel is oval,

I was about to say i belive there are 2 types that look very similar but fit specific age's of hitch.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

That'll be for the Al-Ko wheel lock. .. the hitch lock barrel is fixed in place

083450_1.jpg

There is a knack. I don't use one now but always found that the first time I started to fit it on the first site of the season I would struggle. No logic. Thereafter easy for the rest of the season. Just me.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Now I know what we're on about, on my hitch lock I have found that f you insert the front clip too far forward it is difficult to lock, if you drop the lock over and slide it back slightly so it looks like it shouldn't lock in that position as the front lug looks too far away from the front of the hitch it always locks easily, I thought it was just mine that needed this jiggle backwards and lock method, once the barrel pops in to lock it it seems to bed itself down into a more secure looking position

Hi to you all out there.

There is no knack about it,I know because I had the problem on my 2001 SuperSirocco.

The fix is relatively simple but an accurate torque wrench is needed.

The bolts that secure the head assembly to the draw-bar are Torques Bolts and as I recall ( the caravan is in storage) they enter on the NS of the hitch-head and the OS has hexagonal nuts.

The flats on the nuts must be perpendicular in-order that the casting can be received when applied and dropped into place before the necessary forward/backward shuffle is carried out otherwise the hitch will not engage correctly before the barrel can be pushed home and locked with the key.

• Like 1

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I've had the same problem with the same ALKO hitch lock. On my first van it wasn't to bad, then the previous Bailey it was a real pain and a case of "jiggling" it about until it located. With my current Lunar it goes it easy again! All have the same identical hitches and I put it down to the fact that the hitch body is cast and there might be a slight difference that effects the location of the lock peg to it's keeper. It's nice to know it wasn't just me!

That's worth a look Travelling Rooster. It seems odd that Alko should design something that gives such difficulty and frustration, or perhaps this is one of the challenges caravaners must go through. Thank you for the posts I particularly liked the wriggle and shuffle approach, sounds familiar. Up to now Alko have not replied

That's worth a look Travelling Rooster. It seems odd that Alko should design something that gives such difficulty and frustration, or perhaps this is one of the challenges caravaners must go through. Thank you for the posts I particularly liked the wriggle and shuffle approach, sounds familiar. Up to now Alko have not replied

Hi aedwar. The 2001 SuperSirocco originally came on a BPW chassis and with a standard hitch head fitted. The previous and the original owners had the AlKo fitted but it was fitted by the original supplying dealers and the original owners had never used a dedicated AlKo hitch head lock.

I bought the caravan in the July of 2010 and had serious problems fitting the AlKo lock that I bought. I was at the NEC in the October and collared an Alko agent on the stand.

His response was,oh,you are not the first that has reported that problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My reply and in my best Scouse accent was. If you issued/inserted an advisory slip in the box with the Alko Hitch-head lock it would have saved me and doubtless many others from wanting to hit the next accessory salesperson,with it.

I can imagine what was going through his covered lips as I thank him an walked away.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I have never had a problem with mine, but maybe if it is down to the alignment of the nuts as Rooster suggests then mine are OK. Nice to know my nuts are all lined up.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

I bought one for our first caravan with the Alko stabiliser (Abbey Expression 2003) and it was easy as pie to fit and remove. When we changed it for the Ace Award (2008) it was much more of a 'faff' to fit but I learned how to, eventually. Now on the Bailey (2012) and it's as easy as pie to fit again.

I've always put it down to casting / machining tolerances making the 'notch/hole' the lock barrel goes into on the hitch casting misalign.

I find: insert it fully forward, and then lift the rear very slightly while pushing lock barrel in (key turned clockwise) works every time. {IIRC on the Ace I needed to insert fully and then withdraw slightly while lifting and pushing in the key-barrel. --- ooo er missus, as Frankie Howerd would say.}

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I also found mine a bit awkward at first but now I just jiggle it a bit and it fits first time.

BTW as it was a bit chipped I re painted it in bright orange the same as the wheel lock to make it more visible and lined the inside with foam tape to stop it rattling. (I hate rattles)

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake.