Towing A 560 Ufe

nicky

:unsure:

can someone please help i have been informed that it is illegal to tow a 560 ufe with anything less than a van of some description is this true

when we bought our hobby the sales man typed in our landrover discovery details into his pc and he said it was fine to tow it weight wise

any ideas????????????????????????

can someone please help i have been informed that it is illegal to tow a 560 ufe with anything less than a van of some description is this true

when we bought our hobby the sales man typed in our landrover discovery details into his pc and he said it was fine to tow it weight wise

I'm not a Hobby person, there others here who I'm sure will give you the complete answer. However I think I can start the ball rolling. Some of the larger Hobby vans are very wide (3metres I think) and vans of that size can only be towed by a vehicle weighing over 3500kg, which I think is where the reference to a van will have come from. From a quick search that I have done your van appears not to be one of these larger types (yours is probably 2. 3metres), if that is the case then you're OK with the discovery. I'm sure there will more precise replies to follow.

Guest Hobbybod

Nicky, this is a perrenial problem which many buyers of Hobbys don't realise.

ANY Hobby caravan over a 540 is 2. 5m wide. As such, in the UK, it is illegal to be towed by a vehicle that has a GVW of less than 3501kgs. This limitation does not apply abroad.

This stipulation rules out all the usual 4x4's, including RangeRovers and Amazons etc. You need a larger Transit, or Fiat Daily or Merc Sprinter etc. There are some American double cab imports, (Dodge Ram and Ford etc.) which are OK in the UK for towing such WIDE 'vans.

Also there is no VAT on these wide 'vans, which are classified as semi-residential. This makes them appear very good value for money, especially when sold on to folks who realise, too late, that they can't tow them legally in the UK with a 'normal' towcar. So just be aware.

The way around this is to buy an imported vehicle such as a Toyota Surf 4 x 4 3. 0 L. Your registration document will not state the payload, GVW etc and the vehicle is more than capable of towing a 560 or 650. If you drive sensibly it is unlikely that you would get pulled over and even if you were pulled over your vehicle complies with the law according to the DVLA.

Incidentally perhaps Hobbybod can help. I am told that these 560 caravans etc come standrard with a 2 litre hot water tank. Is this correct? I would have thought that standard it would have at least a 10 litre hot water cylinder.

the salesman never lied when he said you were ok weight wise the disco can pull the weight legally

just econmical with the truth in not telling you it was illegal to tow with anything

smaller than a transit style van with a 3500kg gvw because of the width

there are quiet a few transits that dont have that high a weight there about 50klg light on it

the only 4x4 is a landrover defender long wheelbase that can carry 12 people

it has a gvw of over 3500kg

Edited by john

• 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes: I HAVE BEEN INFORMED BY THE LOCAL HOBBY DEALERS WHERE I PURCHASED MY VAN FROM IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO TOW A 560UFE IN THE UK AND HE SAID HE WAS TOLD THAT INFO BY THE LOCAL TRAFFICE POLICEMAN

:rolleyes: I HAVE BEEN INFORMED BY THE LOCAL HOBBY DEALERS WHERE I PURCHASED MY VAN FROM IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO TOW A 560UFE IN THE UK AND HE SAID HE WAS TOLD THAT INFO BY THE LOCAL TRAFFICE POLICEMAN

No it's not illegal to tow in the UK - BUT -

It is illegal to tow with any vehicle under 3501kgs (gross weight) as has already been explained in this thread

The BIG problem is the insurance if involved in an accident - towing illegally invalidates any insurance - and I dare say that the dealer in question and his policeman friend would blend into the background in an accident situation

• 4 months later...

The way around this is to buy an imported vehicle such as a Toyota Surf 4 x 4 3. 0 L. Your registration document will not state the payload, GVW etc and the vehicle is more than capable of towing a 560 or 650. If you drive sensibly it is unlikely that you would get pulled over and even if you were pulled over your vehicle complies with the law according to the DVLA.

Incidentally perhaps Hobbybod can help. I am told that these 560 caravans etc come standrard with a 2 litre hot water tank. Is this correct? I would have thought that standard it would have at least a 10 litre hot water cylinder.

Is this correct with the imported veh's???

I have a 2. 8 Pajero LWB and have just looked at the log book and it doesn't mention weight ?

Cheers

Also if I want to go to Germany to buy one which is the best web site to go on. .thanks

Edited by scorpio stu

Guest Hobbybod

Is this correct with the imported veh's???

I have a 2. 8 Pajero LWB and have just looked at the log book and it doesn't mention weight ?

Cheers

Also if I want to go to Germany to buy one which is the best web site to go on. .thanks

gvw

I hadn't realised that 'grey' imported tow vehicles did not have a plated GVW, but I bet the insurance co. would look at similar 'non-grey' vehicles and take their GVW, and if less than 3501kgs, inform you that you were not insured!!

With regard to buying in Germany many have used Joeressens or hobbyland-hexel

Oh and the standard electric water heater is a Truma-Therme and is 5l. capacity not 2!

gvw

I hadn't realised that 'grey' imported tow vehicles did not have a plated GVW, but I bet the insurance co. would look at similar 'non-grey' vehicles and take their GVW, and if less than 3501kgs, inform you that you were not insured!!

With regard to buying in Germany many have used Joeressens or hobbyland-hexel

Oh and the standard electric water heater is a Truma-Therme and is 5l. capacity not 2!

Sorry to drive you mad but on my log book should there be a weight on 'Mass in service' ?

Looking at my wifes ford focus log book it says 1144 I take it this is the weight ?

Thanks again