Sign in to follow this  
SamD

Alde ' Remote ' Control

Just sharing results of emails with Alde over last couple of days:

I wrote asking if I could go to bed at night leaving the system (including central heating) ON but turning off the mains isolator switch which happens to be right next to my bed so that at 5am (!) on a cold night I could switch it on without getting out of bed! This would work OK but would leave the 12v circulation pump running throughout the night unless disconnected. So would work but maybe not best approach.

Alde suggested that using the External Start Connector (3101-219 - about £8), a toggle switch and some 12v cable, I could set Ext to 'Ext' and 'On' on the control panel and the toggle switch would then turn the system on and off retaining all settings. No power is required it's just making/breaking the 'Ext' circuit on the Control Panel. In essence the new toggle switch is replacing the Panel On/Off button. So for £20 and a bit of time. ..!

Alde staff have been really very helpful - nice folks.

Why not set the time and set the night setting to a lower temp from say16degrees from 23:00hrs to 07:00hrs. If your on hook up its paid for anyway. Also it takes ages to heat up the caravan from scratch so you would still be cold in the morning, are you paying for the electric??

Why not set the time and set the night setting to a lower temp from say16degrees from 23:00hrs to 07:00hrs. If your on hook up its paid for anyway. Also it takes ages to heat up the caravan from scratch so you would still be cold in the morning, are you paying for the electric??

We have a front double bed and one of us HAS to sleep with head directly above the heater and its noise every time it cycles to top up the hot water temperature or the heating. That sleeping arrangement, for us and some I have spoken to with similar layouts, cannot be altered so both the hot water and heating are off overnight. Thanks any way.

It shouldn't make a noise with electric apart from a click. You must have the pump at the boiler, you could enquire about the 12v pump at the header tank which is normally in a cupboard

How noisy is it? Is it the boiler making a racket or the header tank?

If the header tank - see here for my solution

Russell

It shouldn't make a noise with electric apart from a click. You must have the pump at the boiler, you could enquire about the 12v pump at the header tank which is normally in a cupboard

It does make a noise but my ear is no more than 8 inches from the top of the boiler. Yes it's a click followed by a whine similar to a jet engine from afar but it will be the 230v pump not the 12v.

How noisy is it? Is it the boiler making a racket or the header tank?

If the header tank - see here for my solution

Russell

Header is in the bathroom so defo the boiler

Neither of us like to be hot in bed - I sleep with both feet and most of my legs out of bed year-round so the Alde solution will suit us I think.

Why not use my solution and set night temperature for 5degress. It shouldnt lose that amout of heat over night. Although it will click in/out to maintain boiler and HW temp.

Or sleep with head at opposite end.

Edited by Brocher12

Why not use my solution and set night temperature for 5degress. It shouldnt lose that amout of heat over night. Although it will click in/out to maintain boiler and HW temp. That's the problem

Or sleep with head at opposite end. See post 3 - cant do that for personal reason

OK it's fairly obvious that this workaround is perhaps unique to a certain set of circumstances. I posted it in case anyone else was like me in thinking that the external start was just for a Truma-type 3G remote. Adddtionally (that's the 3D addition!) I remembered a conversation with a group of 'vanners who all admitted to 'demanding' that they slept in the same relative positions as they do at home!

SamD - do you have a 230v pump on your Alde? If so was it an optional extra? (Just being nosey)

Russell

SamD - do you have a 230v pump on your Alde? If so was it an optional extra? (Just being nosey)

Russell

Now you have me thinking! I took it from the manual which indicates that 230v pump has primacy but does say in another part which I had obviously missed*** 'if one fitted' but in the discussion with Alde they talked me through disconnecting the 12v pump so that with system on but 230v isolator switch off, I wouldn't have the 12v pump running all night. To be fair to them, they could well have assumed that I have had it fitted or that Bailey do so at source.

Can't check at the mo' cos van in storage.

***Can you miss something obviously? ;)

Hello there.

Alde 12 V circulation pumps have a cable that branches into two separate two-way plugs.

These plug into the pump signal sockets on the PCB at JP12 (signal 12 V pump) and JP10 (signal 230 V pump).

So when the system detects 230 V supply to the boiler and signals for 230 V pumping; if only a 12 V circulation pump is fitted, it still receives the signal to pump from JP10.

(If you had a 230 V circulation pump fitted, you would leave the 12 V pump plugged into JP12, but plug the 230 V pump into JP10.)

Bailey vehicles are fitted with the 3010-508 12 V inline circulation pump as standard. No UK caravans currently fit a 12 V and 230 V circulation pump as standard, except for Airstream.

Well that's saved me a trip to storage to check - thanks.

My original idea would not have worked then in that disconnecting 12v pump would have given me no pump at all when reconnecting 230v.

External Start is way to go!

Well that's saved me a trip to storage to check - thanks.

My original idea would not have worked then in that disconnecting 12v pump would have given me no pump at all when reconnecting 230v.

External Start is way to go!

Could I suggest you add the Make and Model of your Caravan to your signature as it will help people who are trying to answer and help give you more specific information for your van.

Dave

Could I suggest you add the Make and Model of your Caravan to your signature as it will help people who are trying to answer and help give you more specific information for your van.

Dave

You could indeed but 'tis there already but very cleverly (not) and very heavily (not) disguised as a football score!! BMW 5 Series pulling Madrid 4 Berth,

We have an Airstream and that only has a 12v pump - perfectly silent I may add, in fact the whole system is silent unless we have it running on gas and then you can hear the boiler burner cutting in and out.

We have an Airstream and that only has a 12v pump - perfectly silent I may add, in fact the whole system is silent unless we have it running on gas and then you can hear the boiler burner cutting in and out.

Ted

I'm certainly not having a go at the Alde system - agree entirely it is very quiet and never noticed a sound until first night. Sleep with an ear about 8" from the boiler and it's enough to wake me when it clicks in/out.

I'm interested in this cable to have a proper remote, remote (maybe by GSM mobile phone).

However, I looked on Aldes UK website and can't find this by part number, or even searching the parts.

How did you get hold of it please? Was it through calling them?

EDIT: I can see it in the brochure, just not in the online shop.

Edited by lowedb

I'm interested in this cable to have a proper remote, remote (maybe by GSM mobile phone).

However, I looked on Aldes UK website and can't find this by part number, or even searching the parts.

It's 3010-219 External Start Cable. Reception (01933 677765) will take your order over the phone.

How have you got on with this:

A few points/questions first.

I always thought Alde were supposed to have a GSM unit available to connect into the rear of the controller?

If so, I have never seen one?

There is a new App out (ios and android) for controlling the heating. I have downloaded this, but what and where are you supposed to buy to interface the App with the system??

What I HOPE to do may not be possible?

I wish to be able to switch the heating remotely on but "on GAS"

Our caravan is on a seasonal pitch and the electric has to be disconnected when not there.

So, if I wire into the control panel via a GSM switch (NOT a 240V type) which has a zero volt relay ouput I am there but only IF i can set it bring the boiler on in gas mode.

I know it uses a lot of gas but this will be on for 1 hour prior to our arrival.

Hope this makes some sense :)

Makes sense but it would mean you leaving the gas on at the gas bottle all the time and you would need a 12v source to power the pump.

Where did you get the app from please?

Makes sense but it would mean you leaving the gas on at the gas bottle all the time and you would need a 12v source to power the pump.

Where did you get the app from please?

yes it would, the app is available at the app store but pretty useless without the interface :(

But as far as I can see, no app (other than the service app) has been developed by Alde so they are hardly likely to dev an interface! I can't find the app you mention but assume it's some 3rd party app which interfaces with those (not Alde) already on the market. Do you have a link pl?

But as far as I can see, no app (other than the service app) has been developed by Alde so they are hardly likely to dev an interface! I can't find the app you mention but assume it's some 3rd party app which interfaces with those (not Alde) already on the market. Do you have a link pl?

The "facility" for the "interface" has always been there

http://www. thecaravanandcampingshow. co. uk/page. cfm/Action=fileDownload/formatFor=Press_1_assocPDF/fileName=5471378_assocPDF/fileExt=pdf

App is not available until April it says.

Phil.

How have you got on with this:

A few points/questions first.

I always thought Alde were supposed to have a GSM unit available to connect into the rear of the controller?

If so, I have never seen one?

There is a new App out (ios and android) for controlling the heating. I have downloaded this, but what and where are you supposed to buy to interface the App with the system??

What I HOPE to do may not be possible?

I wish to be able to switch the heating remotely on but "on GAS"

Our caravan is on a seasonal pitch and the electric has to be disconnected when not there.

So, if I wire into the control panel via a GSM switch (NOT a 240V type) which has a zero volt relay ouput I am there but only IF i can set it bring the boiler on in gas mode.

I know it uses a lot of gas but this will be on for 1 hour prior to our arrival.

Hope this makes some sense :)

Anyway now i have satified your needs for the app :D, I'll quote my own post again as it is this I really am hoping to get some answer to ;)