Sign in to follow this  
Chillout

Price Of Pitches

I still can't see why this is getting so nasty.

Charging for optional extras - fair to all

Charging what is perceived to be an excessive amount - not fair if you are the perceiver

Why all the animosity?

I maybe wrong but I think what some of us see as extras others are perceiving to be rip offs.

I am not sure about the animosity.

Edited by screenman

Mind the doors please - closure is approaching.

Sam, you have made my signature worthwhile.

H.

Sad if it closes as we still have so many questions waiting to be answered. It would be interesting to get the comments of a site owner.

I would also ask you to refrain from slinging insults. It demeans your standing to be taken as a serious commentator on a topic that has obviously rankled you.

H.

Mind the doors please - closure is approaching.

Sam, you have made my signature* worthwhile.

*Try not to argue with a fool, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

H.

:unsure:

Yup, it works ;)

H.

After all the shouting is over would it not be safe to say that most of us are just looking for value for money? Not doing it for nothing or being ripped off.

What i think is causing some of these arguments is that some sites which are not perhaps 5 star, see other sites charging high prices and try to follow suit but don't have all the facilities of 5 star.

Our local site charges £26 / night which on the face of it seems about average for a good site. But they charge extra per head over two people?? Why--they provide a great swimming pool free. This pool has todler and adult sections, along with a jaccussi? and steam room, all inside a modern building. This must cost a fortune to build and maintain. Also beside the pool is a cafe/bar, where we can have a drink to cool off before going outside. (Towel hire is £1.) OK, their toilet facilities are becomming a little dated but are still adequate.

All in all, we think it aint cheap but we shall continue to go back regularly simply because the grandchildren love it.

There is so many factors that a lot of people forget in the modern world of running or employing people, them extras will pay for first aid courses, risk/method statements /training on machines ie ground care machines has insurance companies say in small print void if users do not hold ticket, all them hookups need to be tested cert given list goes on .

Does anyone ever take note of the sites public liability cert/first Aid nominee/fire drill in office . ........how many sheep in a field sites have one or do the above , they may for farming purposes but not for hire/reward too joe public .

I will stick to sites that i can trust and see effort with safety regardless of cost .

ste

Edited by kobelcokid

You gotta love cabin fever,

Nowt wrong with a good spat every now and again.

We tend to work on the principle, if a site has was we want we are prepared to pay for it.

If we feel weve been ripped off then we never return.

So far our ignore list is zero

Whilst it would be impossible for us mere mortals to cost out or even attempt to draft a business plan, I reckon we are all pretty savvy when it comes to understanding that all sites need equipment and staff as costings. £30 to park on a field would be short lived. Once again its not about the cost of a site, or indeed how rich the owners become. Its all about being transparent when it comes to charging for utilities that deserve a charge and I cant understand or agree with some charges. This is why I say they are a rip off. I wont waste my breath anymore with people that argue for the sake of it so I guess ill abstain from future posts as some people on here are just plain argumentative and have to have the last word or windup.

I also believe that the extra charge per head is to deter the party of 12 in two vans arriving and taking over the site with back to back awnings and partying till midnight. I do concede that extra people will use more water but not usually more electricity unless the ladies wash their hair every day and use hairdryers and straighteners/heated rollers. I think some charges are excessive but wouldn't go as far as to say they are a rip off. If I had a site with stunning views and great facilities that was full most of the year I would want to price the site higher than the one down the road with no views and megre facilities.

So the cost of a reasonable site is £15 per night with electric hook up but very little else. If this is a CL then the limit is 5 vans so if they are lucky they will get an average of £45 per night in summer and £15 per night in winter maybe. With costs taken out for electicity, water and lawn mowing this will be appreciably less A motor mechanic charges £40+ per hour. so who is the rip off merchant. You decide.

Edited by Capricorn12

And most of us drink/like a pint of Lager which is more expensive than petrol/diesel but no one moans about that cost. .

ste

Edited by kobelcokid

In the past half hour I have had, at short notice, to book two nights in a hotel in the Cambridge area for the coming Friday and Saturday as the only suitable caravan site is fully booked for one of the nights. The prices offered on the hotel booking websites ranged from £104 to £482. The £104 price was £125 on a different website for the same hotel room.

Please feel free to comment.

Whilst it would be impossible for us mere mortals to cost out or even attempt to draft a business plan, I reckon we are all pretty savvy when it comes to understanding that all sites need equipment and staff as costings. £30 to park on a field would be short lived. Once again its not about the cost of a site, or indeed how rich the owners become. Its all about being transparent when it comes to charging for utilities that deserve a charge and I cant understand or agree with some charges. This is why I say they are a rip off. I wont waste my breath anymore with people that argue for the sake of it so I guess ill abstain from future posts as some people on here are just plain argumentative and have to have the last word or windup.

Might I suggest that you re-visit your contributions as so far you haven't shown any evidence to support your claims that the sites which you have cited are not transparent in their charging policy and or are ripping anyone off.

Might I suggest that you re-visit your contributions as so far you haven't shown any evidence to support your claims that the sites which you have cited are not transparent in their charging policy and or are ripping anyone off.

May I also suggest that you click on any site in any county and try to book a week away. You will, on balance and more than often than not, be met with a mountain of evidence regarding my observations. Once again and for the last time. ...I am not against making profit nor do I advocate that site owners are wrong to charge, that's their given right, but I am stipulating that when you read these inane costs, they are so transparently designed to gain a few extra quid by charging for little or nothing at all.

I see no reason to name and shame as my posts, with the exception of one site, were observations gained from researching a broad spectrum of sites and available units from all corners of the internet and on many occasions through personal experiences.

Sreenman you would do a great job as a PR for site owners, your list of site costs could be applied to many buisnesses, I think we all agree any site owner who invests and works hard deserves a decent profit and return, but if every one sits back as prices rise where will it end, just a question I pay my electric by card, my seasonal pitch is hard standing, there are no facilities which suits, so what price per night would you consider value for money

May I also suggest that you click on any site in any county and try to book a week away. You will, on balance and more than often than not, be met with a mountain of evidence regarding my observations. Once again and for the last time. ...I am not against making profit nor do I advocate that site owners are wrong to charge, that's their given right, but I am stipulating that when you read these inane costs, they are so transparently designed to gain a few extra quid by charging for little or nothing at all.

I see no reason to name and shame as my posts, with the exception of one site, were observations gained from researching a broad spectrum of sites and available units from all corners of the internet and on many occasions through personal experiences.

The onus is on you to produce hard evidence to support your outrageous claims.

With regard to naming and shaming, the only example which you cited in anecdote form indicated more about your attitude and behaviour on the site than any wrongdoing on the part of the site owners.

Edited by DeeTee

Sreenman you would do a great job as a PR for site owners, your list of site costs could be applied to many buisnesses, I think we all agree any site owner who invests and works hard deserves a decent profit and return, but if every one sits back as prices rise where will it end, just a question I pay my electric by card, my seasonal pitch is hard standing, there are no facilities which suits, so what price per night would you consider value for money

Clasman, as I have posted earlier I use the £10 a night sites, personally I feel most of these sites are run more as a hobby rather than a business, but a lot of sites cannot afford to be run that way. I think maybe sitting on a site in Surrey overlooking a nice river would cost maybe slightly more per night than one in say rural Lincolnshire would, for the many obvious reasons.

I have not got a clue what price would be good for a site to charge, as even thogh I show a list of overheads I have no idea how much they costs the sites and those values will certainly vary .

Yes my list of overheads could and would be applied to most businesses.

I think it is one thing kicking back at price rises and another calling site owners rip off merchants, I think those sort of words need to be backed up with honest facts, I am sure there are site owners reading this that feel what is the point.

I think that all extra's incur costs and I do not see why these costs should not be paid by the person using them.

1,000th post, how did that happen.

Edited by screenman

Ok let's see if there is anyone out there who can work this out.

I have just looked at a local golf driving range price list.

25 balls £3 0. 12 per ball

100 balls £8 0. 08 per ball

so if I play with 25 balls I get charged an extra 50% for spending less time with less wear and tear on ground and equipment. It takes less time to count and collect yet the price is higher.

Go figure.

Pot kettle black.

H.

Debating pricing systems is fair enough, when insults are traded the topic will be closed.

I've already removed some posts