Bordeaux Radio

denism

I want to fit a car radio in my Bordeaux. I believe that the speakers can be fitted in the corners of the lounge area facing downwards and have asked the dealer to install these for me.

Where would be the best (and possibly easiest) place to install the radio itself? There appear to be three possibilities: 1) Under the clock, but my wife doesn't fancy damaging the material there. 2) In a cupboard, would this be awkward to reach? 3) above a cupboard in the wedge shaped 'free' space. I would welcome comments and photos if possible of where anyone else has fitted a radio.

Thanks,

Denis

Guest mr_sheens

you can buy the very tidy radio mounting box, as comes standard in the senators, but they are about £35. we fit them in these boxes as standard in all the baileys now

I want to fit a car radio in my Bordeaux. I believe that the speakers can be fitted in the corners of the lounge area facing downwards and have asked the dealer to install these for me.

Where would be the best (and possibly easiest) place to install the radio itself? There appear to be three possibilities: 1) Under the clock, but my wife doesn't fancy damaging the material there. 2) In a cupboard, would this be awkward to reach? 3) above a cupboard in the wedge shaped 'free' space. I would welcome comments and photos if possible of where anyone else has fitted a radio.

Thanks,

Denis

Hi Denis

I had the same problem,

What I did was make a replica of the bit where the clock is, and cut out for the clock and radio, then when the time comes to sell the caravan just replace the old unit

Steve

Thanks, Mr Sheens. I will call into my local dealer and look at the Senator box. It should give me pointers as to where to put the radio.

Denis

In my Provence I fitted the radio under the clock. Build a new panel using plywood, foam and suitable coloured felt. Replace the old panel if you move the radio when you sell the 'van.

Picture at http://s78. photobucket. com/albums/j120/colger23/Caravan/

Let me know if you cannot get to the picture. I believe many other Pageant Owners copied this method.

There's an awful lot of aerials on the roof of the car and 'van!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks a nice neat job!

Edited by Eddie

Colger23 loks like a tidy solution, and I specially like the idea of constructing a new panel. That way, if my wife really comes down heavy on having it there, I can replace the original panel and site the radio elsewhere. Why would she want it in a cupboard? Beats me.

Thanks again.

Denis

Hi denism

I constructed a new clock panel with the radio below easy to replace with the original when ever. Rather than cutting out for speakers, I bought 6 X 4 speakers and made a frame and mounted them in the wedged free space above the cupboards. Just 1 screw from inside the cupboard holds them in place. Easly removed with very little damage.

I was looking into fitting a radio, but as we take our satellite from home, we get all our radio channels thriough that.

Thanks all! I look to have my Easter job sorted out now - creating a replica clock panel.

I also had to fit a dedicated aerial on my Vendee, but will initially try the status.

Denis

Re an Aerial, I used two pieces of wire soldered to the correct plug for the car radio and fed them in opposite directions in the channelling which runs under the shelving. No holes to drill in the exterior body and reception was fine. also used this method for power which I took from the lighting circuit. I think I had to drill a small hole to get the wires from the 'radio compartment' into the channelling bearing in mind that it would not be seen if you removed everything and returned the original panel.

• 1 month later...

How do people get the aerial fixed to the van? Do you have to drill a hole through the roof and mount the aerial? Didn't quite understand the post above. Does anyone have any more pictures of the aerial fitted etc?

Thanks

I connected mine to the spare connection on the Status aerial. OK it only gives you FM but thats all we need. Works well

Brian