Sign in to follow this  
Seaman

Cracked Abs Rear Panel

Well it seems the jigsaw is starting to come together with every post from owners with this problem and it also seems that the only definite solution is the replacement modified and correctly sized molded panel. Its obvious from reading the above, that folks are getting "stressed" mainly due to the way these claims are handled, especially with information that the front and rear panels are only guaranteed for 12 months. (The patch repair also being very poor attempted solution)

Its also obvious the manufacture needs to re-guarantee its warranty duration on these panels, for the same period of time as the body integrity warranty (Surely "Body Integrity" includes the performance of these panels) Also maybe owners have a case with the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) on the marketing claims of the product and If your not happy with your caravan and you've given the dealer a "fair opportunity" to repair you caravan, you need to take advice and act on the SOGA.

I honestly think that if this problem had been handled better and the issues made more transparent with a set course of action to remedy the fault, owners would have been a lot more confident and happier than they are now. ( They have to remember the rate of reported problems in such a short period of time) Sadly poor response. seems to be the norm in this industry.

Personally if I owned a caravan with the rear panel problem but then found a major floor structural fault, the floor issue would "Poll Axe" it for me and I would battle for rejection with a full refund of monies, regardless.

As for none owners posting on brand issues. .....well, were all "caravanners" and I'm sure most of us would try to help each other out when camped on site if anyone had a problem. So I'm sure that we'd all benefit by any advice given and learning of various issues that could help us all in our caravanning purchases and the caravans we desire.

Collectively we may also show that "enough is enough" on some of the crud being produced at the movement. I'm also definitely sure that most of us work, or have worked hard for our money and deserve better than we're getting at the moment. :(

Edited by Gaz40

I did ask about warranty but the dealer was none committal. I got the impression that they didn't know. I am very happy with the workmanship, it is neater than original on all the joints.

My panel will be replaced in May and my dealer has told me that the panel and workmanship will come with a new 1 year warranty.

Mark.

Just found your forum and surprised to find so many other people with the same panel problem, i. e. cracking at the rear corner.

Just taken my van in today to the dealers for the fitting of the modified corner covers.

They state it is the first one they have done and made no mention of this been a known problem !

Two questions, Have people in general been satisfied with the repairs and has the one year warranty issue been resolved.

We are still waiting for a resolution having gone down the SoGA with our dealer. From what I can gather though, the corner crack covers seem to have been fitted well but I don't think that they will extend the warranty. TBH, if the panel failed within a reasonable time I think a court would be on your side if all else failed.

On the subject of the covers, I personally would refuse them as they are a sticking plaster. I did not buy my caravan with sticking plaster on the panels and I don't see why I should have to put up with it as a warranty repair. I would want a new, unpatched, fit for purpose rear panel. As it happens, I have the rear top cracks to so a new panel is on the cards. I am really worried about these delamination stories though. .. they have me a bit twitchy I have to say!

I am in total agreement that the reason for us all posting on this forum is that we are unhappy with the way Elddis are handling the issue, if a car brand has a known fault then it is recalled and the same with some white goods so why now are Elddis silent when we have all contacted our dealers and also Elddis direct who (for me) just directed me to contact my service centre to put in a claim!

The good thing about these forums is that end users of all caravans have a common reference point to discover possible faults and also the good things we love about caravanning it is such a shame then that we are not getting the back up we deserve. ..

My end panel and side rails are now in at the service centre so I will arrange a date to have van fixed and post again when all done.

My confidence in Elddis and SoLiD construction has been shaken beyond repair now simply because of their lack of action knowing we are all out there.

I am glad for one to have you all to talk to about this as it has helped to alleviate some of the stress, lets hope we can all be discussing great caravan holidays together in the future which ever caravan we own. ..thanks to all!

Edited by EBBLE1

I am in total agreement that the reason for us all posting on this forum is that we are unhappy with the way Elddis are handling the issue, if a car brand has a known fault then it is recalled and the same with some white goods so why now are Elddis silent when we have all contacted our dealers and also Elddis direct who (for me) just directed me to contact my service centre to put in a claim!

The good thing about these forums is that end users of all caravans have a common reference point to discover possible faults and also the good things we love about caravanning it is such a shame then that we are not getting the back up we deserve. ..

My end panel and side rails are now in at the service centre so I will arrange a date to have van fixed and post again when all done.

My confidence in Elddis and SoLiD construction has been shaken beyond repair now simply because of their lack of action knowing we are all out there.

I am glad for one to have you all to talk to about this as it has helped to alleviate some of the stress, lets hope we can all be discussing great caravan holidays together in the future which ever caravan we own. ..thanks to all!

Couldn't agree more. This forum has helped me a lot and if it wasn't for an update in this thread I would not have spotted the cracks at the top of the panel.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

Having taken delivery of a 2014 Elddis Avante only this week all this is very worrying. Is the 2014 model rear panel different to the 2013 model or is it just a 2013 panel with the bits covering the problem area ?

I agree a statement from Elddis would go a long way to alleviate concerns.

Thanks to this great forum at least information is being shared.

Looking through this thread it seems to be Affinty, Avante, Compass owners - has anybody had a problem with the Xplore range?

Having taken delivery of a 2014 Elddis Avante only this week all this is very worrying. Is the 2014 model rear panel different to the 2013 model or is it just a 2013 panel with the bits covering the problem area ?

I agree a statement from Elddis would go a long way to alleviate concerns.

Thanks to this great forum at least information is being shared.

As Elddis seem unwilling to acknowledge publicly that there is any issue it is hard to be absolutely sure on what the problem is or if the new panels have been modified in any way. My dealer got the impression that the replacement panel which will be fitted to my van in May has been modified. However nobody can be 100% sure about this or when this panel started to be used on the production line.

I am afraid only Elddis can reassure their customers. If they don't want to participate in this forum that is fine, but a simple letter to all affected customers explaining the situation would go a long way towards retaining those customers for the future.

Mark.

I am afraid only Elddis can reassure their customers. If they don't want to participate in this forum that is fine, but a simple letter to all affected customers explaining the situation would go a long way towards retaining those customers for the future.

:goodpost:

I have just received a letter from my business bank - Co-operative bank - thanking me for standing by them during their difficult times and updating me on the action they are taking - may be just a standard letter but at least they are doing something :unsure:

I'm changing my Bailey Burgundy series 7 in the near future and had been looking at Bailey pegasus verona or Elddis affinity 550, however I'm now ruling out the Affinity due to the posts regarding the ABS panels on this forum, I've been waiting for a response from Elddis to the owners of the damaged panels before ruling out the affinity but it looks like that could take some time. I wonder how many other owners are doing the same, of course it could just be that they don't have any answers

I see a representative of Elddis responded to a thread this morning about an Hurricane EX2000. Says it all really, our current problems mean diddly squat to them!!!

Edited by Seaman

I'm changing my Bailey Burgundy series 7 in the near future and had been looking at Bailey pegasus verona or Elddis affinity 550, however I'm now ruling out the Affinity due to the posts regarding the ABS panels on this forum, I've been waiting for a response from Elddis to the owners of the damaged panels before ruling out the affinity but it looks like that could take some time. I wonder how many other owners are doing the same, of course it could just be that they don't have any answers'

Hi we changed our bailey provence series 7 for an affinity 540 in august last year, its the biggest mistake we've ever made . the van has been having repairs done under warranty for the whole time we have had it and now a warranty claim is in for the cracked rear panel (top crack) . Reading the other posts it looks like we could be in for a long wait and it could be letting water in. We also have a very bouncy floor around the kitchen and loudly creaking furniture. I would hold on to the series 7 if i were you, its certainly not worth the stress. Just to add we were looking at the verona and the affinity but the dealer talked us out of the Bailey, he said we wouldnt put up with the noise from the heating

Having taken advise it would appear that Whale have improved the noise levels on the fan, we may also look at the Uniorn Valencia, good luck with your Panels

Checked my van today, no cracks top or bottom. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Although I'm well aware of my rights under SOGA if cracks are going to appear I would prefer it to happen whilst the van is less than a year old rather than in a couple of years time. I foresee hassle in the future if cracks appear and I have to take on my dealer quoting SOGA terms. :(

Checked my van today, no cracks top or bottom. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Although I'm well aware of my rights under SOGA if cracks are going to appear I would prefer it to happen whilst the van is less than a year old rather than in a couple of years time. I foresee hassle in the future if cracks appear and I have to take on my dealer quoting SOGA terms. :(

It may be worth asking them whether a crack in the panel would be covered under the 10 year water ingress warranty, as it would clearly cause damp if not repaired. I believe that Elddis have told some members this at the NEC. It could be that under that warranty they would only repair the crack as opposed to replace the whole panel. However it might give you some peace of mind.

Mark.

Good evening,

The early 2013 rear panels had one fog light and one reversing light (mine had this). The later ones have 2 of each (since July this is what has been fitted to my caravan).

I was told that when the panel was removed the wooden sides (ie what's behind the ABS panel would be chamferred to 45 degrees and this would remove the source of the stress that caused the cracks. This was done to my caravan and 8 months on all is still well.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

Mine van has 2 Fog Lights and 2 Reverse Lights and the cracks to go with it, bottom only. Took delivery in October 2013, so would say it might have more to do with the wood behind the panels other than the panels. I am in no hurry to get it fixed and don't want bits stuck on to hide the cracks, if when they remove the panel they are altering the wood work. Will be using the van and hope it will crack at the top also and a new panel and alterations to the wood done.

If mine cracked stood still during the winter several hundred miles on the Great British roads should finish it off.

As a Company we do take your concerns very seriously, however it is not our policy to enter into open dialogue with Customers about their individual circumstances.

Should you have any concerns or enquiries relating to your caravan we would ask that you contact your supplying retailer who will assist. In order for us to be able to assist fully and to totally understand your specific and individual requirements we will work in conjunction with your supplying Retailer in order to reach a full resolution.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

On behalf of our Customer Care Team