Cracked Abs Rear Panel

My 2013 Avante is at the dealers for it's first service and a few warranty issues. One of my problems is a 1 inch long jagged crack at the bottom of the rear ABS panel. It looks like it may be a stress fracture caused when the panel was fitted during manufacture. My dealer has photographed and submitted a claim to Elddis. They think it may require a replacement panel.

I have indicated in the image below where the crack is, so you know to look if it is a common problem. Note to Affinity owners, you have the same style of panel.

David

post-43219-0-41912500-1383315213_thumb.jpg

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Seaman & BW

Just been up to storage today and had a look at mine on my 2013 Avante. ......mines cracked also. ......claim into Glossop. .......I hate my Elddis. Nothing but trouble from day 1post-58982-0-58846700-1384703560_thumb.jpg

Are these solid constructed caravans or pre september 2013.

Edited by Flynn

Hmmm here we go again, yet another apparently serious defect. I do hope the Elddis PR manager looks at this forum he / she have a lot of issues that will not make potential buyers very enthusiastic when doing simple research into their product.

They need to be offering some very positive feedback in so far as they are investigating, rectifying and repairing problems.

I for one am now heading towards Bailey or Coachman who seem to have less major issues.

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Hi Flynn,

Mine is a SOLID construction caravan also.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Rich

This makes me worry a lot, looks like a stress fracture, solid was supposed to stop that, hope they have got it right with water ingress or they will be be no better than Swift or Bailey.

Flynn

Not so Solid? I was hoping the new design would stop problems .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Not so Solid? I was hoping the new design would stop problems .

Dave

Or perhaps too Solid and not allowing enough flexibility of the panels?

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Just had my front panel repaired by Lamplas today, only minor issues with the gel coat. I checked the rear panel whilst I was there and mine is also cracked in the same place. .. here we go again, yet another warranty claim :(.

Mark

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

already had front panel repaired by lamplas for manufacturing faults in the gel coat, so far no crack in the rear panel but all very worrying with the panels only covered for 12 months

seems a really unusual place for it to have a stress crack, as I cant imagine there's any structure behind there putting strain on the panel to make it crack, strange one!

the Solid construction was to have a timber less construction to aid against water ingress (like all manufactures now) this wouldn't have any baring on the quality of the panels used, they will still be manufactured in the same way

Alex

I don't see how such a crack would have anything to do with SOLiD at all. My first thought would be that the caravan has bottomed from, say, going up a steep drive. Solid is about how walls, roof, floor are bonded together. I don't see the back panel having anything to do with Solid.

The one common denominator in all the Elddis cracks, creases, furniture coming away from walls would point to the body structure twisting/deforming this looks to be another case of the same, whether it is down to the chassis choice or lack of structural integrity, we will have to wait for further information hopefully from the manufacturer.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

Just checked my van, cracks on both sides of the panel at the rear. Absolutely gutted. They may as well of put made in China on these blooming vans. Quality, my backside.

I had a 2013 Avante & now a Compass so maybe frying pan and fire, but wondering I have seen two rear panels on the back of Avante vans one with one reversing light and the other with two. Also is the problem with certain lengths of caravan? Just thinking about the flexing comments. What have you guys got one light what size van?

Hi Scoobz,

One or two reversing lights?

ps it was the 540 we had with one light and no grp problems up to last week.

ps our new Compass has the rear with two lights.

Edited by PaulR

Nothing is worse than spending shed loads of hard earned money on a new van and then to have these problems, I am sure that Elddis will put them all right but maybe anyone who has major faults should, just start saying no, I want a new van. Then maybe the industry will get its act together when it starts to hit them hard financially.

Hi Scoobz,

One or two reversing lights?

ps it was the 540 we had with one light and no grp problems up to last week.

ps our new Compass has the rear with two lights.

Hi Paul, sorry it has two reverse lights.

already had front panel repaired by lamplas for manufacturing faults in the gel coat, so far no crack in the rear panel but all very worrying with the panels only covered for 12 months

This made me look at the warranty section in the manual and did not know the panels are only covered for 12 months. Am I right in thinking if they are cracked and not letting water in they are not covered after 12 months. I had a bailey Indiana bought second hand and cracks were found in the front panel and the rear panel when van was 3 years old, no damp just cracks noticed when polishing. Taken back to dealer and both front and rear panel were replaced by bailey. If I find similar on an Elddis after 12 months will I be as lucky ?? I would hope they would be covered provided its not accident damage but for how long, thought 10 years. Reason I got an Elddis was the 10 year water ingress warranty.

Hi Scoobz, I have checked our new van my wife thinks I'm paranoid. I think she may have a point. :(

Edited by PaulR

Hi Paul, it's hardly surprising due to the threads that are ongoing. Do yo know how to upload pictures from a I phone to a post. You won't believe how they have finished were the panel meets the underbody. They have spent millions on trying to find a water proof solution . There is a gap were the rear panel meets the underbody,talk about botch it and scarper. looks like they have used a tube of silicone to try and fill the gap, not very good may I add.