Sign in to follow this  
toby6033

How Do You Level A Twin Axle Caravan Side To Side?

Mine does, the caravan club.

Did you specificity mention to the insurers that you had them? What happens if you don't have them or don't have an Alko chassis?

Your insurer says they must be fitted because you probably got a discount for having them. I looked into this and the discount was not worth the cost of buying them and having the receivers fitted.

Did you specificity mention to the insurers that you had them? What happens if you don't have them or don't have an Alko chassis?

Your insurer says they must be fitted because you probably got a discount for having them. I looked into this and the discount was not worth the cost of buying them and having the receivers fitted.

Our van came with the recievers fitted and the locks supplied when new, and we do get a discount for having them.

Now the ground is soft you might find that it's worth running up on two planks anyway, I always jack the van to fit the dual alko locks but on soft ground you need some wood to stop the koJack sinking into the ground and I have found that there is not always enough room under the chassis to get the jack in with a piece of wood under it.

It also spreads the weight on the wet ground being on planks so that the wheels don't dig in and put extra strain on the steadies, 1800kg on mud soon starts to compress!

Edited by sleepyfolk

This has been bothering mme for a while . . not needed to do so yet, but it will be necessary some time . ..

I have, to see what happened, driven up a single ramp for the leading wheel . . It lifted the trailing wheel off the ground, so thats not the way . .

Then I thought, if I got a second ramp and cut it into two pieces, such that it would fit between the wheels, and then when the rear wheel was approaching the top of the first part, slide the other piece in if necessary to continue raising . .

then I found this . .

http://www. haigh. com. au/docs/Haigh%20CVL2_flyer. pdf

Trouble is, they don't seem to be available in the UK

This has been bothering mme for a while . . not needed to do so yet, but it will be necessary some time . ..

I have, to see what happened, driven up a single ramp for the leading wheel . . It lifted the trailing wheel off the ground, so thats not the way . .

Then I thought, if I got a second ramp and cut it into two pieces, such that it would fit between the wheels, and then when the rear wheel was approaching the top of the first part, slide the other piece in if necessary to continue raising . .

then I found this . .

http://www. haigh. com. au/docs/Haigh%20CVL2_flyer. pdf

Trouble is, they don't seem to be available in the UK

They look just the job, can't believe any uk supplier isn't shipping them in!

I have some of the yellow ramps the same as the ones in the Video posted

On one ramp I have chopped about 1" off the leading edge and shaved the back of it at an angle so it will fit between the tyres then I just tow the caravan up the two ramps until level

On soft ground it needs knocking in with my peg mallet but it does the job!

Towman

You could run one wheel up a short ramp until almost level, then chock it & lift the other wheel with a Milenco until level is achieved.

The early Milenco side lifters got some criticisms but I can affirm that the latest model is just fine.

David

Having recently acquired my first twin axle, I have been puzzling over the best way to do this . .

I don't like the idea of putting two ramps down and having the leading wheel go over the first ramp.

What I have been thinking about is cutting one ramp on a slope so that it fits comfortably between the wheels, putting the other in front of the leading wheel and 'driving' up, if necessary putting the second part of the trailing ramp in position as the wheel nears the top.

Then I found this . ...

http://caravansplus. com. au/catalog/product_info. php?products_id=13062

Unfortunately, they are about as far away as they can get . . and very pricey . ..

Can no-one in the UK (the home of caravanning) produce something similar

Edited by old hand

Is it really necessary to use a Milenco wheel lifter, or ramps, on TWO wheels?

Although two axles are needed when bouncing along on the road, I would expect that a static load, when parked, would only need the support of one of the pair of wheels.

DAVID

You have obviously not seen the weight of a twin axle, on only one axle, it crushes the tyres and over compresses the suspension, either situation will cause damage to the relative components.

A hydraulic levelling system would be nice.

Is it really necessary to use a Milenco wheel lifter, or ramps, on TWO wheels?

Although two axles are needed when bouncing along on the road, I would expect that a static load, when parked, would only need the support of one of the pair of wheels.

DAVID

When we had a twin for 7 years, the handbook stated the difference between the front and rear axles must not be in excess of 6" (about the size of a kerb I think).

I had a set of home made wooden planks bolted together at one end to enable it to swivel, the length of the planks were slightly longer than the 2 wheels, when I sold it and went back to a single axle, I then simply cut the wood down to fit the one wheel.

Wooden ramp

Edited by kiaboy

I have two yellow levelling ramps - I simply put them down the same distance apart as the axle and reverse up them slowly. Driving over the first ramp does not cause the 'van to drop suddenly if you take it slowly. I sometimes use the mover. Advantage over flat planks is that the degree if levelling is much more accurate unless your planks are in 2 or 3mm thick sections you cannot possibly get it quite right whereas with a gradient slope you can. Once it's level, if the Alko lock is not lined up, I simply jack it up until I can rotate the wheel to fit it.

My insurance is with the CC and as long as one wheel lock and/or a hitch lock is fitted, I am covered. I could have a discount if I fitted both wheel locks but I felt not worth it.

Having recently acquired my first twin axle, I have been puzzling over the best way to do this . .

I don't like the idea of putting two ramps down and having the leading wheel go over the first ramp.

What I have been thinking about is cutting one ramp on a slope so that it fits comfortably between the wheels, putting the other in front of the leading wheel and 'driving' up, if necessary putting the second part of the trailing ramp in position as the wheel nears the top.

Then I found this . ...

http://caravansplus. com. au/catalog/product_info. php?products_id=13062

Unfortunately, they are about as far away as they can get . . and very pricey . ..

Can no-one in the UK (the home of caravanning) produce something similar

I should have thought that this would be an ideal product to sell via the CT shop.

I tried to obtain from the manufacturers but they only deliver within Australian mainland unless I purchase a container load.

I should have thought that this would be an ideal product to sell via the CT shop.

I tried to obtain from the manufacturers but they only deliver within Australian mainland unless I purchase a container load.

Quite surprised to have no follow-up from Mads/Admin.

Quite surprised to have no follow-up from Mads/Admin.

Hi Pete, I did the same as you. I tried to buy some from a caravan dealer in Australia and they would not post to the UK. I would certainly buy some.

Have a look at our solution to the problem. www. locknlevel. co. uk

We are a couple of lifelong caravanners with a new approach to the problem

Derek

Hi Pete, I did the same as you. I tried to buy some from a caravan dealer in Australia and they would not post to the UK. I would certainly buy some.

Have a look at this http://delter-culson. ../new-gallery-1/ There is another thread - started by Rita G introducing this gadget and I am now very pleased that the Australian company were not willing to sell me theirs I am going to purchase one of these instead,

That video was missing the last line from the VoiceOver: "Don't forget to pick up the lock-n-level and take it with you" ;)

Tony

Have a look at this http://delter-culson. ../new-gallery-1/ There is another thread - started by Rita G introducing this gadget and I am now very pleased that the Australian company were not willing to sell me theirs I am going to purchase one of these instead,Doesn't seem

Don't seem to lift very high . . I don't think I'd bother levelling if it was only that far out.

On their website it states a height of 4" not very much of a lift, I too will stick with my planks, an awful lot cheaper as well.

Twin axle motorhome here, so worse still to level side to side as there is the wheel at the front as well as the two at the back!

Anyway, basically a couple of planks of wood and drive on. I don't bothered with purpose made levellers - no point when you can get a bit of wood out of most skips for free!

Not a perfectionist about being level, so if it's roughly level, it will do. Anyway, after a couple of glasses of red, it won't matter at all!

Russ

Don't seem to lift very high . . I don't think I'd bother levelling if it was only that far out.

I really have difficulty in believing that you only looked at the video and didn't look at any of the other tabs on the home page.

I really have difficulty in believing that you only looked at the video and didn't look at any of the other tabs on the home page.

The video is the advert . . it is where people tend to exaggerate their product's capabilities, so if I wasn't impressed there, why should i look elsewhere to see if it is better than they show?

The video is the advert . . it is where people tend to exaggerate their product's capabilities, so if I wasn't impressed there, why should i look elsewhere to see if it is better than they show?

I agree Old Hand,

I have looked at all the tabs and none suggest to me it is any better than the old wooden/plastic ramps. IMHO, I cant see it being much use on soft ground as the size would not displace the weight enough to stop it sinking.

Would agree.

Watch the video and then check the specification to see if it fits outline needs. Followed by questions for clarification.

I caravan with Rita G and have the single axle version Lock and Level, our last trip out Ritas caravan was around 3. 5 inches off level the lock and level easily compensated for it.

The video demonstrates its use - and does so very well.

It does not demonstrate maximum lift height - it demonstrates its functionality to achieve the goal - in this case to raise the second wheel high enough to fit the second wheel lock. Clearly the height raised was sufficient to do that as shown in the video.

They never said" let me show you how high it will go" - If you want that information go to the specifications where the max pressure and heights are discussed