Sign in to follow this  
PaulR

Caravan Heating

Well i'm very happy with my alde heating its the only caravan iv'e had that has no cold spots and keeps an even temperature everywhere,i'm same as shirl250 just point shower at wall and adjust temperatue to suit better than reaching under a unit to adjust thermostatic valve as wife likes it hotter than me and saves £90+.

If it was me that made the suggestion of thermostatic valve? I paid £9 for mine which I fitted in my downstairs toilet at home. We never need to adjust it, I just set it for hand hot and it has not needed adjustment since. The only problem I have noticed, is that due to the cold being mains pressure and the hot being tank fed, the tap needs to be on full, or the hot doesn't seem to get through. Likely if bot pressures were equal, it would not be an issue.

Fitting the Temperature sensor within the control is far from uncommon, near every domestic 'programmable thermostat' being designed this way. They all work very well, IF, their situated correctly.

Same then goes for caravan stuff, Truma clearly stated not to fit their control where it would be directly affected by heat, so what did the caravan manufactures do? fit it where it suited them and to hell with the advice.

Same goes for Dometic/Thetford instruction to room seal the back of fridges, totally ignored and if you think that's off topic? the lack of sealing seriously affects the heating as well as the effectiveness of the fridge in hotter weather?!

I once bumped into the head brewer of a particular beer I used to drink, I said I'm glad I bumped into you, because I want to know why your brew. ...he stopped me there and said, I brew that pint of yours in 11000 gallon vats, if then your pints off, then they are all off and that's clearly not the case or I would no longer be head brewer!.. you should then tell your landlord what I've just said and see what he has to say?!!

I swear that's a true story and he was right of course, as is Alde here and Truma, Dometic etc etc

If it was me that made the suggestion of thermostatic valve? I paid £9 for mine which I fitted in my downstairs toilet at home. We never need to adjust it, I just set it for hand hot and it has not needed adjustment since. The only problem I have noticed, is that due to the cold being mains pressure and the hot being tank fed, the tap needs to be on full, or the hot doesn't seem to get through. Likely if bot pressures were equal, it would not be an issue.

Hi Harry. m1byt. You could install a pressure reducing valve on the main after the stop cock or before your thermostatic valve on the cold feed.

Edited by Twizzel

Hi Harry. m1byt. You could install a pressure reducing valve on the main after the stop cock or before your thermostatic valve on the cold feed.

Snap! Yes that idea did spring into mind as I wrote it. The thing is it works fine as is. It was just a solution to us being able to wash our hands under running water, without being scalded or the kids who visit being scalded. .

Hmmmm £90 worth of thermostatic valve ! :o

I think I'l just keep moving the shower tap manually as it gets colder for now. ....... ;)

Alde Price List

That's all well and good until you accidentally nudge the temperature lever and that well know law dictates it will go to hot. £90 would probably seem a bargain then, anyone with children in an Alde heated caravan who use onboard showers would also do well to take the advice given

That's all well and good until you accidentally nudge the temperature lever and that well know law dictates it will go to hot. £90 would probably seem a bargain then, anyone with children in an Alde heated caravan who use onboard showers would also do well to take the advice given

Seconded!

Agree entirely but that also applies to other heating systems not just Alde - just have a butchers at the NHS scalding temperatures!

Agree entirely but that also applies to other heating systems not just Alde - just have a butchers at the NHS scalding temperatures!

Well mine does get hot, it doesn't get as hot as the Alde potentially can.