Sign in to follow this  
PaulR

Caravan Heating

Of the current selection of caravan heating systems available which is best? We have the Whale blown air just now its been modified works okay but I'm unhappy with the noise. How good is the Truma combi gas/electric water system I noted at least one post very unhappy with the reliability and is it noisy? Most appear happy with the wet systems which I understand are slower to get up to temperature with the heat rising behind the wall boards but what about the noise from the pump?

Any comments guys. Thanks.

This thread will open a can of worms (again). For me, Alde every time and we have the circulating pump mounted in the header tank in a wardrobe adjacent to the bed. Noise is never an issue when it cuts in at night, just a gentle background hum.

There's many posts on the Whale system https://www. google. co. uk/search?q=whale+noisy+carvan+talk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org. mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=VJJyUsD1BoyUhQeN74CIAw and some have overcome the noise issue, some haven't.

Have you tried talking to Whale as I understand they're very good with advice?

Truma Combi 6 series - I can't tell you how many have conked out on me in the past - I would not have one given. One was weeks old.

Truma Combi C6002EH - excellent

Alde - top dollar

BUT - we have a small, low wattage fan heater on all the time in winter at the front end of the motorhome.

Russell

Never had the wet Alde system.

Only the std hot blown air/convector type.

We never use the blown air cos air is only warm at best but we do use the convector type heater setting which is normally one of 500W 1000W or 2000W. This is superb for us at heating the air. Get up in the morning, switch it to 500W, pop back in bed and soon its warm and snuggly.

For me the Alde wet system is far superior to any other.

It may take longer to warm up, although if you put it on as soon as you have positioned the caravan and hooked up to the electric bollard, but before winding down the steadies, fetching water etc you will find the caravan warming by the time you get to sit down.

It warms the fabric of the caravan so you don`t just have warm air you have warm seats etc and feels so much more comfortable.

Bob

This thread will open a can of worms (again). For me, Alde every time and we have the circulating pump mounted in the header tank in a wardrobe adjacent to the bed. Noise is never an issue when it cuts in at night, just a gentle background hum.

There's many posts on the Whale system https://www. google. co. uk/search?q=whale+noisy+carvan+talk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org. mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=VJJyUsD1BoyUhQeN74CIAw and some have overcome the noise issue, some haven't.

+1, wouldn't buy a caravan without it

Even though we were convinced by arguments on here that the Alde would be best - and it was fitted to the van we had in mind, in the end we got an Adria Adora which has the Truma blown air, and I have to say we have been very impressed with it. We certainly have not been troubled by noise from the fan. We have been slightly bothered by the heat loss under the caravan because the pipes are exposed but have bought the armaflex to insulate them if we can be bothered.

Wispman - I suspect you are labouring under a slight misapprehension about the 500w/1000w/2000w setting thing. If I am understanding it correctly, that setting does not control heat output of the convector, but rather limits the amount that it might try to draw from the EHU outside. So you would only need to set it on 500w if you had a low (say 6amp) supply on the peg outside. The amount of heat that the convector actually puts into your caravan is normally set on the thermostat which in our case is a dial numbered 0-9 by the door.

One final thought ref the Truma blown air. On Sunday I'm going to the van (in storage) and going to run the fan without heating for 30 minutes just to get circulation into all the corners. Don't think you can do this with the Alde system can you?

Mike

Of the current selection of caravan heating systems available which is best? We have the Whale blown air just now its been modified works okay but I'm unhappy with the noise. How good is the Truma combi gas/electric water system I noted at least one post very unhappy with the reliability and is it noisy? Most appear happy with the wet systems which I understand are slower to get up to temperature with the heat rising behind the wall boards but what about the noise from the pump?

Have a look here! If we like this caravaning ! Then I will be doing this soon

Agree 100%.Would never go back to any blown air system.

Yes had Steed out to modify our van but still not happy, Whale have offered to call again.

I have had Eberspacer, Webasto and Propex blown air systems. I never really liked them, but I hated the dry eyes caused by them and the all too often luke warm outputs from the furthest outlets.

None of them can hold a candle to my current Alde wet system, the heat is nice and even, gentle silent and without cold or hotspots. The heat not only rises from behind the wall boards it radiates from them too.

Heat up time is not a problem you can use both the gas and electric heat sources combined to bring the caravan quickly up to temperature. When you are on EHU the Alde system will automatically switch to electric only when it reaches the user pre-set temperature. I find my installation takes about the same amount of time to heat up as my homes gas fired central heating system.

Pump noise is not a problem either; in my caravan the pump is located in the back of the wardrobe, that’s about 10 feet away from my head when I am in bed. The pump is so quiet, I have to open the wardrobe and poke my head inside to check if the pump is running. With the door closed I can’t hear it.

If you have acute hearing, I understand there is a boiler mounted pump alternative, which in a lot of cases will enable the pump to be positioned even further away. In my case it would then be 17 feet away.

Some cite the 12 volt pump to be a potential weak link in the system saying, if the battery dies then you have no heating. If that is of concern to you, then there is a 240 volt pump available from Alde as a user fitted direct replacement alternative.

If the amperage from the EHU is limited, as is sometimes the case on some sites, the maximum current drawn can be pre-set by the user at the control panel.

Any replacement caravan or motorhome I buy in the future will have to have an Alde system. I have now been spoilt for anything else. A blown air system for me would be a deal breaker.

Edited by WindlePoones

Up to now we have always had Truma blown / convector systems and always been happy and warm. Having changed to our current Elddis I admit I never looked into the heating just assumed everything would be fine. I just don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks for all the posts.

There is a blown air system on our Bailey Senator Arizona but I don't know what make it is. I can't say I'm that impressed with it, though. The outlet in the end washroom doesn't seem to get warm and it's quite noisy. When we've needed heating we've switched the blown air off and opened the washroom door and the van seems to heat more evenly.

We have the Truma Combi blown air system and are very pleased with it.

What I would say though is, when people mention a blown air system, they automatically think of the Truma fire and accompanying blown air system, but this is not the same, although it does use the same type of ducting. I think many people confuse the two and this is one of the reasons that it gets shot down in discussions before it has a chance to prove itself.

Now, I've not experienced the Alde system, therefore don't feel qualified to pass comment on it, other than to say I, personally, would not be happy with the warmth coming up the side of the bed at night - maybe other females of a certain age would feel the same way! Maybe if I experienced it then it would be ok - I don't know, so can't comment.

So, all I would say is, unless you have actual experience of the Combi blown air system, please do not shoot it down in flames, as it's actually very good! Fast heat up times, quiet in normal operation, doesn't feel stuffy and a control panel that allows you to set two timed periods to come on and off during the day/night. For anyone considering purchasing a van with this type of heating, get the dealer to run it up for you and see for yourself - you may be surprised!

We are more than happy with our truma fire/heater and accompanying blown air heating. After experiencing sub-zero temps in Easter 2013 we found leaving just the heater on electric (convector) on 500w through the night kept our van at a nice comfortable temp and was silent due to not needing the blown air on. We also have a small oil filled radiator positioned in the rear washroom and leave this on low throughout the night also and kept the chill off. Hoping this arrangement will keep us warm this Christmas when we spend 8 nights at Cirencester CC site - our first winter caravan trip!

We have the Truma Combi blown air system and are very pleased with it.

What I would say though is, when people mention a blown air system, they automatically think of the Truma fire and accompanying blown air system, but this is not the same, although it does use the same type of ducting. I think many people confuse the two and this is one of the reasons that it gets shot down in discussions before it has a chance to prove itself.

Now, I've not experienced the Alde system, therefore don't feel qualified to pass comment on it, other than to say I, personally, would not be happy with the warmth coming up the side of the bed at night - maybe other females of a certain age would feel the same way! Maybe if I experienced it then it would be ok - I don't know, so can't comment.

So, all I would say is, unless you have actual experience of the Combi blown air system, please do not shoot it down in flames, as it's actually very good! Fast heat up times, quiet in normal operation, doesn't feel stuffy and a control panel that allows you to set two timed periods to come on and off during the day/night. For anyone considering purchasing a van with this type of heating, get the dealer to run it up for you and see for yourself - you may be surprised!

Very nice post. If you''re warm and cosy, what else matters?

We have the truma 3002 fire with blow heating. The fire itself is excellent but the blow heating leaves a lot to be desired. Works fine when the fire is up high but when low the air circulation takes the majority of the heat our.

Very quiet though.

Never had the wet Alde system.

Only the std hot blown air/convector type.

We never use the blown air cos air is only warm at best but we do use the convector type heater setting which is normally one of 500W 1000W or 2000W. This is superb for us at heating the air. Get up in the morning, switch it to 500W, pop back in bed and soon its warm and snuggly.

The usual reason why convection alone works much better than blown air, is because lots of heat is being lost to the outside via the air ducts. Many ducts have to go outside, are uninsulated and radiate much of their heat to the outside. If all of the heat goes into the van, blown is by far the best and more even dispersion of heat around the van.

We have the truma 3002 fire with blow heating. The fire itself is excellent but the blow heating leaves a lot to be desired. Works fine when the fire is up high but when low the air circulation takes the majority of the heat our.

Very quiet though.

Another blown air system loosing heat to the outside?

Ours is absolutely brilliant in any weather. No hot spots, nice even distribution with none of the heat wasted.

In our van we use the two front seats as two singles as they are both long enough and amply wide. The heat up the side is not an issue. There is a secondary panel providing a gap behind the seat backs for the warm air to rise through. This combats the cold downdraught associated with windows. When used as a bed therefore, the warm air emerges above the level of the body. When in bed we set the heating for 16 degrees.

+1 for Alde, except. ...........every time the pump comes on there is ten seconds of ticking under the bed on my side. Like Chinese water torture. Tried bleeding it and everything.

Alde in mine too. As said very quiet system and keeps the van warm throughout rather than patchy as was the case with the blown system on our previous vans. At night I leave it on the thermostat but set the temp lower so in the morning it is soon up to temp again. Great system.

You should also consider that with the alde you have no control over the hot water temperature and when it is heating the hot water it will have affect on the heating performance ( probably not significant)

You should also consider that with the alde you have no control over the hot water temperature and when it is heating the hot water it will have affect on the heating performance ( probably not significant)

Contrary to your belief there is a good deal of control over the way the water is heated.

1. If the user wants a faster domestic area heat up, it is easy to select habitation area only to be heated; however heating the water at the same time causes no discernible time delay in heating the domestic area.
  2. Alternatively hot water heating only can be selected.
  3. The user may choose to heat the water using electricity only, 1kw, 2kw or 3kw. If required almost instant hot water can be achieved by combining both the gas and electric supplies at the same time. That combination option provides 9kw of water heating power.
  4. If the user wants extra hot water for a longer shower time, the water temperature supplied to the faucets can be adjusted from 50 degrees centigrade to 65 degrees centigrade. This setting is user adjustable at the control panel. After 30 mins the water temperature will automatically revert to 50 degrees.

I have never timed the length of time it takes to heat up the water, but have found even when using just the 2kw electric element by itself, for both central heating and domestic hot water; hot water is available at the faucets within five minutes.

If you think about it the volume of hot water in the domestic hot water cylinder is only 8. 4 liters. On a 2kw setting it is using about the same power as a domestic kettle and is about as quick to reach the desired temperature as boiling a kettle of water at home. ;)

Edited by WindlePoones

Very quiet though.

Insulate the ducting, I have and it transforms the heating performance.

Insulate the ducting, I have and it transforms the heating performance.

Or even better, assuming you can - do away with the duct which runs under the van in the cold.