Use Built In Coax Rf Cable For Satellite

Hello all,

I thinking about switching to satellite due to the awful avtex aerial elddis fitted to my avante 636.

My question is this. The van has a tv socket behind the telly and I've found the other end of the cable underneath the front bench, behind the battery box. This has just the normal tv rf socket. My thinking is that I could bring the sat connection in through the battery box and reuse the existing cable to take the signal through to the tv. What I'm not sure about is this. Can I use these cables & connectors to carry dvb-s signals? Or is there a reason why this won't work?

Cheers

ML320CDI & Avante 636

There is no reason why it will not work, but the cable and connectors might be more prone to interference. Over the short length involved I doubt it would prove an issue.

I use "F" to coax converters anyway on my satellite cable to have simple plug and socket connections for ease of use. A big bonus already discovered is that if a wayward individual trips over the satellite cable no harm is done.

Give it a try, you are likely to be okay.

Edited by JTQ

There is no reason why it will not work, but the cable and connectors might be more prone to interference. Over the short length involved I doubt it would prove an issue.

I use "F" to coax converters anyway on my satellite cable to have simple plug and socket connections for ease of use. A big bonus already discovered is that if a wayward individual trips over the satellite cable no harm is done.

Give it a try, you are likely to be okay.

I support this answer, done that, works fine.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

In our battery box we have a satellite connection which I use for both satellite and when there is a TV hook-up on the pitch via co-ax connections, I have a short F socket to Co-Ax to switch between the two leads.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

In our battery box we have a satellite connection which I use for both satellite and when there is a TV hook-up on the pitch via co-ax connections, I have a short F socket to Co-Ax to switch between the two leads.

David

Ditto David, and works fine for me too. It means that only one socket - F type - is required in the battery box. Attached to it on the inside is a short length of F-type cable to go directly to the satellite reciever or TV (with suitable adaptor), and this is kept in the storage space under the seat alongside. One of these days I might plumb it in properly, although it works well enough as it is. ....

Edited by GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

Yes, works fine, I use the same method as proposed, I have an f-connector to co-ax adaptor on the end of my dish cable which I connect tot he aerial socket, I then use a co-ax to f-connector adaptor to connect the internal TV cable to the satellite socket on my TV.

Works every time.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

While it is likely that the Belling-Lee plugs and sockets will work. .. they are certainly not designed for satellite IF frequencies of over 1GHz. .. some would say they aren't good enough for UHF TV. They were never designed for it that's for sure. .. http://www. megalithia. com/elect/bellinglee/

However I can confirm that I have got away with using them when extending a satellite feed.

Adaptors from Belling Lee TV to F-plugs and sockets are available commercially and it is also easy enough to make up short adapter interface cables. Ideally the centre pin should be soldered or a screw connection as otherwise the dc signals for the lnb may not be present, or intermittent.

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, have you got a diagram as to what i need for this set up i have a sat conecter in my battery box but only want to use this for tv, when i have hook up on bollard, i have a adapter what came with van for battery box so i can connect aerial cable from bollard to battery box, they do i connect to sat conection near tv in van with a short aerial cable with a sat to aerial adapter again thanks?

hi, have you got a diagram as to what i need for this set up i have a sat conecter in my battery box but only want to use this for tv, when i have hook up on bollard, i have a adapter what came with van for battery box so i can connect aerial cable from bollard to battery box, they do i connect to sat conection near tv in van with a short aerial cable with a sat to aerial adapter again thanks?

Yes that's the opposite way of the method I use for the dish, but actually satellite grade cable and connectors are generally a higher grade than "TV" co-ax, and the screw on F connectors are widely used on TV distribution amplifiers and similar anyway.

You should get a near perfect signal transfer from the socket in the battery box to the TV using this method.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden