Sign in to follow this  
cma

Awning Rubbing On Window

We have a kampa air awning that sits about halfway across the window, which is fine, and there is no option the move it anyway. The only problem is after just a week it has started to scratch the window.

Is there anything we can do to protect the window from getting further scratches?

What made you buy an awning that goes half way across a window :ph34r:

CMA,

My porch awning's stitched edge crosses my small bathroom window . .. so I slip a short length of 15mm pipe insulation over it . .. just smack it around every now and then to ensure there's no grit in it . .. been using it for a while now with no problems.

John

Well, I bought a cheap (£59) awning about 7 years ago thinking it would last 2 or 3 years . .. but it's still going strong . .. meanwhile I replaced the van and there's no way I can avoid either the lounge or bathroom window with one or other edge . .. when the awning eventually expires I'll make sure it's replacement fits . .. but then I might change van again!

John

We had no choice either the air 290 Didn't cover the awning heater and was too small or the 390 which lands on a window.

Either way I have an expensive van and expensive awning, neither of which will be getting changed anytime soon so I could do with an idea or two to stop the scratching

Our Magnum used to sit just on the edge of the front window near the door on our previous van and even though we were extremely careful, making sure the foam pad was scrupulously clean etc. you inevitably get some marks from the movement of the awning in the wind. We then discovered that if we slid it just slightly to the rear that it would fit - just - between the door and the window. It fits perfectly on the Coachman without fouling windows, but I do wonder about the decal that it now sits on. The awning warmer is completely outside and could only be used with a full awning - would your awning fit better if you didn't try to accommodate this?

Whatever you do, don't put cling film on the window!

What van do you have, by the way?

Anything that can move on the window, such as pipe insulation, runs the risk of scratching. How about sticking some wide masking tape to the window where the awning fits? This should protect the window but would be easy to remove. Test on an inconspicuous area first just in case the adhesive affects the window's plastic.

Whatever you do, don't put cling film on the window!

Im curious as to why?

What made you buy an awning that goes half way across a window

I have an expensive van and expensive awning, neither of which will be getting changed anytime soon

I would use a full awning.

Because the plasticisers in cling film have been known to leach into the acrylic windows and cause crazing

Because the plasticisers in cling film have been known to leach into the acrylic windows and cause crazing

Thanks - a better explanation than I could have given. I always thought it would be ok but read loads on here about the damaging effects on the windows.

After much deliberation, we went for an Isabella Magnum, fully knowing that it would "foul" the bedroom window of our Bailey Pegasus.

We make sure that the padding is clean and the awning is as secure as possible and to-date we haven't had much of an issue in the way of scratches or marks.

That said, as it's the bedroom window and not the lounge it wouldn't be the end of the world if it did get scratched was our stance.

I bought a piece of sheet rubber of ebay, the same material as the window rubber seals.

I cut a piece to fit the window where the pole rubbed the window.

I then clean the window then place the rubber between window and awning back leg this then stops it rubbing my window on my van.

Before I bought this it did scratch the window the previous year

Not anymore

Cheers paul

Edited by paulliver

What van do you have, by the way?

Its a Coachman 470/2

The 390 awning can't go much further forward as the awning rail starts to drop at the front of the van. It could go further back and forget about the awning heater but not far enough back to clear the window.

This is prob the best pic I currently have, shows it about as far forward as it could go without dropping down the awning rail.

http://i300. photobucket. com/albums/nn38/robh_52/IMG_9495. jpg

See what you mean cma. Not much room to play with. In which case I would be sourcing a nice piece of a soft fabric (microfibre cloth maybe?) and placing it between the window and the awning edge. They are recommended for cleaning the windows, so should be ok to absorb the abrasive action of the movement. Get a long piece and then you can fix it over top and under bottom of the actual window - worth a try and should provide some protection.

The other day I emailed Isabella about porch awnings because Lunar's sales brochure says neither their Magnum nor Minor will fit my van.

Here's their response:

'The Magnum and Minor awnings will fit your Caravan if your only specification is the height of the Porch.

If you are concerned about the position of the rear legs of the porch you should be aware that the distance between the leg poles on the Magnum is 313cm at the top, 340cm at the ground and for the Minor is 226cm at the top, 260cm at the ground. In our opinion one of the leg poles will cause an obstruction to either the door opening, the window, a locker, vent or other fitting. However if you measure your caravan you can identify if this model suits your own requirements. Many customers do use our part awnings with one leg over the window as shown in our brochure. However in fairness to all our customers we prefer to advise them if this would be the case as many people do not consider this unless we point it out. If the caravan windows protrude it could affect the seal.

There are always other options eg a "combi" style conversion, please do not hesitate to telephone for advice or contact your nearest retailer, full details available on the website list.'

Having both top and bottom measurements now helps me check what would be fouled by the legs and as far as I can see if I position a Minor carefully there won't be a problem, but the Magnum does go across the lounge window no matter how it's positioned.

What interested me though was the bit in their response about the pictures in their brochure. Sure enough, when I checked, all the porch awning pictures bar one show a leg crossing a van window. Their website uses the same pics.

I'd noticed the Isabella pictures previously and they do give a false sense of security re the awning over the window. It's probably why they deemed it necessary to mention this in their correspondence with you. - I wonder if future pictures will show things differently?

Anyway, the dimensions given do help a little but they are based on the assumption that the caravan is on level ground and also on a lower height awning rail than most of the more modern caravans. We usually find that our awning legs are almost perpendicular to the van side, due to the height to the rail, and if we've had to use a levelling block then they are definitely straight down. (Is it only me, but whenever we have to level up the van, it's always on the awning side, which makes everything that little bit more difficult - including climbing up into the van off the single step!)

We love our Magnum awning but, as with all "non-full" awnings, there are limitations to their adaptability and they are definitely not good on very sloping ground!

Please, what is an awning warmer?

It's a covered hole in the side of the caravan that has a duct fitted to it from the heater inside the van and it lets warm air from the heater warm the awning space. There was a spate of them being fitted to the upmarket ranges a couple of years ago. I've only ever seen one comment on their efficacy and that indicated that it wasn't very effective, but in more colourful language :rolleyes:

This is a big problem on lots of vans, most of the awnings that are sold are standard size and wont fit without fouling a window. Some of the above suggestions will assist, but the more you use the awning the more it will scratch and the the more you will notice it. We were looking for a porch awning to fit our Olympus and it was difficult to source an awning, but we ended up getting a Sunncamp which fits perfectly, but the down side is its not as robust as some models in a strong wind.

If one of the big players did some research and developed an awning based on a new existing model, but with a slightly different sizing they would probably making a fortune as window fouling is a problem which effects a lot of vans and replacement windows aren't cheap.

M

We have been using a Magnum for five years now, it sits across the lounge window, the window is not marked.

I polish the windows a couple of times a year with Mer and wipe the edge of the awning that fits on the window with a slightly damp cloth to remove any dust or grit.