Sign in to follow this  
nevonheronlake

2013/4 Buccaneers Build Quality

Called into Campbell's at Blackpool this afternoon and had a good look at the show vans and have to say the build quality of both the elddis and buccaneer is a shambles the so called doors are just cheap plywood covered in wallpaper which is all coming off also the wall covering the handles are all broken (Made in china I presume ) when I look at my 2004 schooner and try to compare the build quality all I can say is I will stick with what I have, they have gone down hill since the 2010 models.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. We have the 2013 Buccaneer Clipper; and having also visited the factory twice, and seen the materials used. I have not seen doors made from "cheap plywood covered in wallpaper". In fact as far as I'm aware the doors aren't constructed from plywood.

Neither our caravan, nor any Elddis or Buccaneers I have seen on sites, at dealers or at the 2012 and 2013 NEC shows, have had wallpaper coming off the walls, or any broken handles.

If the caravans you saw were as bad as that, then I would imagine the dealer would like to hear from you so he can withdraw them all for rectification. I'm sure Elddis will also be interested to hear that this Dealer's Elddis caravans are in such a parlous state!

Al.

As I would have no reason to lie you will just have to take my word for this,

nevonheronlake - I've not suggested that you've lied; neither have I. My experience is obviously different to yours, and is based on seeing many Elddis and Buccaneer caravans over a period of time. As I said, if this Dealer's 'vans are as bad as you've described them, then I'm sure Elddis would be interested in their display models.

Al.

Hi to both nevonheronlake & Diavolo Rosso.

Firstly,Nev;the covering on the wall-boards and doors is not Wallpaper it is a Veneer of Vinyl. The individual finishes are photographically reproduced and a system similar to screen printing is used for fixing the image.

My understanding of the board material is that it is a compressed material and is probably similar if not the same; as hardboard or MDF.

The handles being "all broken" is a matter of interpretation/exaggeration.

I have seen on two separate occasions when handles have been detached from the square section bar that runs through the door mechanism.

They are fastened in place,OR NOT!!!!! by an Allen Cap Grub Screw. The contact end of the screw has no seat/indent for it to locate into and form a secure fastening. It is therefore coming down onto a flat surface and is subject to movement.

The first time that I saw this was at the NEC 2012 and the second time that I saw it was at the ELDDIS FACTORY OPEN DAY also 2012.

On both occasions the fault was on BUCCANEER caravans.

On both occasions I pointed it out to DAVID WHITEHEAD,the HOMOLOGATION MANAGER. I even told him what the problem was. My late father was an engineer,I learned a great deal about modern production methods and their lack of "OLD WORLD" manufacturing practices.

My point is these are the U. K premium caravan the b all and end all of pure luxury, and the quality of the build and materials should be top quality . Not looking as if they have had twenty years of hard living when in reality they have never been on a campsite or been used .

And yes I do know a bit about the caravan industry having worked in it for five years and in auto manufacturing/ coach building for 45 years.

If you look at a buccaneer which is ten or eleven years old and look at one brand new check the quality and materials used.

I can only speak from personal experience and say that our 2013 Bucc isn't anything like the description of the caravans described in your OP.

In fact, it is noticeably superior in build quality and materials to our 2007 SuperCyclone.

Al.

I don't think my 2013 Buccaneer is as bad as the original posters experience but in MY opinion the quality is a way short of where it should be for a base model never mind the premium brand.

For example in the first few months it spent more time with the dealers trying to rectify a fault on the water system than it did with me.

The Avtex tv aerial has never worked properly

They give you a jack that you can't use because it requires you to fit parts to the chassis which involve moving waste pipes.

The awning rail infill strip has come out of the awning rail channel in places on both sides of the caravan requiring me to feed it back in, on one occasion I saw about three foot of it flapping in the wind through my mirror while about to leave the motorway.

The curtain tie-backs are fastened to the window frames with cheap self adhesive Velcro instead of proper fixings and constantly keep coming away from the window frame.

Yes these issues are sorted under warranty but at my time and expense getting it to and from the dealers when they should leave the factory in a perfect and reliable condition.

• Like 1

On my 2004 schooner the dividing door is Wood not cheap concertina plastic it as air con as standard we have no cheap vinyl or wallpaper peeling off any doors all the doors close no broken handles.

Yes it as it's faults but it is now nearly ten years old and it as the dreaded crack appearing but the interior still looks better quality than the new ones. That's the point I am trying to make .

i have to agree with the op, visited campbells recenly and found the same - handles broken and poor quality fixings and fixtures. that said there was also same issues with some swift brand vans on forecourt as well so build quality not only limited to elddis,

Door handle comes off my toilet door all the time and the wallpaper analogy isn't far off the pace the veneer is so thin it marks up too easily. Grill doesn't work, aerial poor, jockey wheel trash, not that defendable on a £30K van. ..

I have to agree with the questionable build quality, but it's not limited to the Buccanneer range, it goes right through all of the Elddis products. We've even changed the name of our Avante to "Abysmal" due to the amount of problems and the couldn't care less attitude of their customer service team.

When you look through the threads on this forum, it is blatantly obvious that Elddis monitor what is written, but I've yet to see one reply from them defending their products or indeed helping other owners out apart from where they can try to promote a sale. This in itself speaks volumes of the company.

Come on Elddis. Let's see you take a pro active approach and let us know what you intend doing to improve your products and the whole buying experience for your customers !

I have to say that my experience so far of Elddis ownership has been good. I don't really recognise the van that the OP is describing. It does sound like they may have been particularly abused in some way.

We have spent 30 nights in our Avante this year and towed it 1,800 miles. Yes the toilet door handle did fall off once, but it hasn't since I put it back properly, in our experience the Avtex aerial works very well too, both here and in France in the summer.

I'd say that the bits on our van that we are least satisfied with tend to be are third party components.

It tows absolutely brilliantly, we were on the road last Sunday heading to the New Forest, stopped in the late afternoon at Winchester services and I was shocked at how winding it was outside when I got out of the car, because the van was solid as rock on the road, no hint of a wobble.

Hi all

New to the forum and could do with a little help,

We bought a brand new buccaneer caravel in may this year along with a brand new Isabella awning

after being away for a couple of weeks we took down the new awning i was horrified at what damage had been incurred from having the awning up. We fitted the awning correctly with the correct attachments supplied for putting up but now we have 5 square indentations all the way across the top of our brand new caravan.

I have been in torch with Elddis customer service and sent them photos of the damage to the new caravan.

The replay from them this morning in a email was that

"We sent the photos to there production team for further investigation and it is suggested that this is pressure damage rather than impact damage and is a result of over tightening of the awning attachments.

Based on the findings of our production team,we are unfortunately unable to process a warranty claim in respect of this issue".

As for over tightening the poles by hand how can this damage the caravan and for them to say this with out even seeking my caravan i am shocked.

Can anybody help in this matter please.

mark.

Hi raffo. Your first and only port of call is your supplying dealer. Was this done in the first instance and then contact made with Customer Service as a follow-up?

When it comes to complaints/queries and anything else other than compliments, Elddis do not want to know. The dealer is the Flack Net.

Hi thanks for your replay yes i contacted the dealer direct first and told them what had happened and there response was wind damage and they would not help hence way i contacted Elddis direct.

thanks

mark

Hi Mark. I think my next port of call would be Isabella, the manufacturers of your awning and see what their reaction/advice is.

Hi Rooster

Do you not think its down to not enough support on this part of the caravan as i had the same caravan (model caravel 2012) with the same awning last year and had no problem.

i have attached some photos see what you think.

thanks mark

post-64813-0-71006700-1383841452_thumb.jpg

post-64813-0-76131100-1383841459_thumb.jpg

post-64813-0-04385000-1383841466_thumb.jpg

post-64813-0-95309400-1383841472_thumb.jpg

post-64813-0-06257000-1383841479_thumb.jpg

post-64813-0-26570900-1383841483_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark. They have certainly made an impression but of the wrong/unwanted kind.

Was your previous Caravel a SoLiD construction as I believe that the new one is or was it a Pre-SoLiD model?

If they are of the two different construction methods then that could be where the answer lies.

It is possible that the laminating up of the sandwich construction has an insufficiently dense layer of whatever is required immediately behind the aluminium skin to resist compression exerted by the finger tight application of the awning fittings.

If the layer behind the aluminium skin is a plywood layer and is is a 3ply then the middle core could be a rather soft and therefore a less dense one and incapable of supporting the aluminium skin when the awning fittings are applied and secured by finger/hand tightening.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Hi Mark

As Rooster suggests involving Isabella would be appropriate and they may be able to offer some advice about the whether the awning poles would be able to sustain the required pressure to dent the side panel like this.

I was unfortunate enough to have my awning blow down in the gales in April this year, after a turbulent night the whole awning went over the roof of the caravan at 6am with no damage at all to the actual side panels, the only damage was a slight mark in the side graphics so I would be surprised by the "wind damage" theory.

That said if your dealer or Elddis can supply a written report stating that the damage was the result of wind then maybe your insurance company would cover the repairs? - If they dispute the theory they may be in a better position to argue their case to recover their losses.

Davros

Also it might be worth referring Elddis to their own website, in particular the "features" page of your model of caravan which states:

• "One piece GRP silver sides for ultimate resistance to minor damage"

Once again it would appear that Elddis group caravans do not appear to be able to handle common conditions that other brands seem to handle with no problems, so if they do not sustain damage from the roads leading to the site they are unable to handle being sited.

I cannot belive that a company with a future would let these threads continue without some responce surly it must effect future sales and god knows what it will do the trade in/second hand values I feel sorry for the people who have money tied up on these caravans.

Elddis obviously don't see present owners as future customers.

Rooster my 2012 caravel model was not the solid construction type.

Thanks three star for your response like rooster I will try Isabella tomorrow but surely under the sale of goods act "fit for purpose" the issue must be with elddis as there caravans are made to take awning and as the caravan only being just over six months old and cost me 30 grand with all the optional extras.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Davros. Picking up on your footnote below and from your post #20. I was unaware that the Buccaneer was built with GRP sides.

It is interesting that they could possibly be making reference to the cracking/tearing/splitting of the aluminium skins as minor damage.

Also it might be worth referring Elddis to their own website, in particular the "features" page of your model of caravan which states:

• "One piece GRP silver sides for ultimate resistance to minor damage"

Thanks three star for your response like rooster I will try Isabella tomorrow but surely under the sale of goods act "fit for purpose" the issue must be with elddis as there caravans are made to take awning and as the caravan only being just over six months old and cost me 30 grand with all the optional extras.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

I agree with you and do not believe you have any recourse with Isabella and the issue should be laid entirely at Elddis' door, my suggestion to contact Isabella was to gain information in relation to the amount of pressure their poles could sustain. I am no expert and it is just my opinion but I would have thought that as GRP is widely used by many caravan manufacturers it is capable of withstanding the maximum pressure you could apply before the awning pole would start to slide back on the adjuster.

As a footnote I think its worth pointing out that I have been an avid supporter of Elddis on this forum, I always try to take an objective view and consider both sides of an owners issue and the manufacturers response. On many occasions we cannot be sure we have all of the facts and enough information to make a good enough judgement to pass comment but looking at yours I fail to see any way Elddis can walk away from this.

I always try to offer input to questions placed on the forum based on my own experience and as stated I lost an awning (not Isabella) in high winds on a 2013 Elddis with GRP sides, all of the poles bar one were still locked in position and I didn't sustain any damage to the shape of the side panel at all, it is for this reason I question the validity of Elddis' response.

Elddis - If you are monitoring this forum, as a current and hopefully future (I am considering changing to another Crusader or potentially a Buccaneer in 2014) customer, can I suggest you either explain your decision on this issue or review your stance - How can a side panel of a new caravan be constructed in such a way that it cannot withstand the pressure of an awning?

Mark - Don't give up.

Davros

Edited by Davros18