Sign in to follow this  
NickJ

Your Thoughts Please :)

We have recently been in touch with a manufacturer of street furniture - including security bollards - who are interested in what the Caravan Talk community have to say about caravan security. We'd therefore like to put 3 quick questions to you. ..if you're able to spare a couple of moments to help us out if would be appreciated :)
Just pop your answers to the 3 questions below (being sure to number them or answer directly below the questions) in this thread, or alternatively send me a PM with your responses.
Thanks everyone!
1. What measures do you take to keep your caravan secure?
Nose in to house, hitchlocked onto Bulldog post #1. Bulldog Post #2 between van and road, Wheellock. CCTV cover from house
2. What are your biggest concerns regarding caravan security?
If "they" really want it, they will take it.
3. What advice would you offer to caravan owners who wish to keep their caravan safe on their driveway?
Plenty of off-putting visible security, open aspect to deter sneak thieves.

Lutz is the cost of insurance reflected by the lack of caravan thefts. ? How does it compare to UK without a registration system.

Dave

As thefts are not an issue here, I don't bother to insure the caravan while it's in storage, so I can't say. I only insure the caravan while it's actually being used on the road.

I use wheel clamps, hitch lock, 3 ton mini digger chained to it and three gates plus

1 Alko wheel and hitch locks plus stored in CASOLA gold site.

2 Getting my stolen caravan back-just give me the money!

The unrealistic expectations of owners regarding their caravan security.

3 Do not do it! especially if it it is a few miles from any arterial motorway!

If you insist expect to be burgled while the driveway is empty.

Do not leave any items of sentimental value in the caravan.

If an alarm is triggered, a big aluminium roller blind that comes down over the front windows with "this vehicle is stolen" written on it and can't be opened up again until some sort of override control is operated.

Yes, I'm serious.

1. What measures do you take to keep your caravan secure?

2 x AL-KO locks, hitch lock, Bulldog wheel clamp, Tracker, alarm. Kept behind electronic gates and security fencing around boundaries.

2. What are your biggest concerns regarding caravan security?

Having it broken in to - door locks (pathetic, haven't changed in years), windows, lockers, skylights and even access through one of the locker doors under our double bed.

3. What advice would you offer to caravan owners who wish to keep their caravan safe on their driveway?

Keep it blocked in at all times with another vehicle if possible, turn the 'van round so the hitch is up against something solid. Spend £250 on an ABUS chain and padlock and chain the wheels to the chassis. Buy another ABUS chain and secure the chassis to a ground anchor. Install CCTV with motion sensors.

If money's no object, employ someone to watch it or stay in it 24/7.

I saw two travellers caravans on the shore at Fraserburgh last week.

They both had their front windows missing and covered with gaffer tape and polythene.

Looks like your blind idea has been used before :D

I use wheel clamps and a hitch lock.

Not much can be done about caravan security I don't think as it's not hard to get in a caravan.

When mine was at home I had it out the front with the clamps and hitch lock on and nose facing inwards. It was also anchored to the ground since the previous one got blown over in the 2012 storms so i've not took any chances since then!

Some years ago my insurance company increased my premium by 100%!

When I questioned them they gave caravan theft (particularly tandem axles) as the reason and advised me that if I stored my van at a CASOA storage facility I could benefit from 25% discount.

I pointed out that 60% of all caravan theft is from "secure" storage sites they agreed but explained they had to draw a line somewhere.

I then explained the security precautions applied to my caravan stored at my home and they gave me the 25% discount and I was able to negotiate a further reduction as a loyal returning customer.

1, None

2, None

3, Move to France

+1 from Spain and €160 a year for insurance including breakdown cover

oh and 2 German Sheppard's who would love to say hi

:D

love that :lol:

Dogs and thieves.

I have had two doggy/burglar experiences.

First was the burglar jemmied the kitchen window and climbed in to say hello to the massive german shepherd then burgled the house!!

Second burglar entered by back door Labrador slept on-next morning dog bounded towards us tail wagging through the ransacked ground floor!!

Just watched the BBC news where it appeared the pit bull terriers owner was bitten by his own over excited pit bull!

Dogs are no deterrent to career criminals--except police dogs of course!!

Well off OP!

I guess it depends on the dog and the criminal's perception.

Our friends' Spaniel's bark sounds like it belongs to a steroid-enhanced Hound of the Baskervilles - which may put off would-be thieves - but in fact it is being emitted from an overgrown, excitable puppy who would simply be thrilled to have someone new to play with.

On the other hand, I've met Alsatians and Dobermans (Dobermen?) that look like they could bring down a carthorse but would in fact be about as much defensive use as a pair of carpet slippers.

I wouldn't fit a tracking device to my caravan - if it's stolen, I don't want it back.

I have a tracker on my caravan but that's because it was standard fitment by manufacturer. however, I hope the police don't find it until after I've been paid out - and I agree that if the theives want it they will take it (or destroy it) regardless of security devices.

My sentiments exactly that's why I have insurance. Same with the towcar if it gets nicked I don't want to see it again. I don't want it back after someone has abused it.

1. I keep it at home in a locked, windowless garage.

2. If it were to be stolen I don't think the layout I've got now is available in the length the garage can accommodate.

3. Build a garage to keep it in so it's completely out of sight. Helps with home security as well as it is not obvious that the caravan is away from home.

Sign in to follow this