Sign in to follow this  
NickJ

Your Thoughts Please :)

We have recently been in touch with a manufacturer of street furniture - including security bollards - who are interested in what the Caravan Talk community have to say about caravan security. We'd therefore like to put 3 quick questions to you. ..if you're able to spare a couple of moments to help us out if would be appreciated :)

Just pop your answers to the 3 questions below (being sure to number them or answer directly below the questions) in this thread, or alternatively send me a PM with your responses.

Thanks everyone!

1. What measures do you take to keep your caravan secure?

2. What are your biggest concerns regarding caravan security?

3. What advice would you offer to caravan owners who wish to keep their caravan safe on their driveway?

Hitch lock, wheel clamp it enough - make it awkward to get out so any thief will look else where

Hitch locked to security post plus a second security post, also it has an alarmed fitted and is chipped

My biggest concern is that I have enough insurance

My advise to anyone who's keeping a caravan at home is to have extra security other than the standard types and keep the details to themselves :ph34r:

1 CCTV, caravan parked behind and hitched onto steelframed 7ft high gates, caravan connected to remotely monitored house security system, twin wheel locks, dual steay locks and manufacturer's thatcham security system.

2 Quality of build(manufacture)

3 Refer 1 above

Put a pic of the wife in the window (Hitch lock, wheel clamp, nose in.)

The lack of tracking it down (visually) The police will not stop every van to see if it's yours unlike a red corsa (if you see what I mean)

3. What advice would you offer to caravan owners who wish to keep their caravan safe on their driveway?

Make it unappealing to steal, locks etc to slow them down. But if they want it, they will take it.

Honk.

I wouldn't fit a tracking device to my caravan - if it's stolen, I don't want it back.

I have a tracker on my caravan but that's because it was standard fitment by manufacturer. however, I hope the police don't find it until after I've been paid out - and I agree that if the theives want it they will take it (or destroy it) regardless of security devices.

Wheel and Hitch Lock, Jockey wheel removed, Tight to a fence And removable gate in front
None
Have some good nosy neighbours

We have recently been in touch with a manufacturer of street furniture - including security bollards - who are interested in what the Caravan Talk community have to say about caravan security. We'd therefore like to put 3 quick questions to you. ..if you're able to spare a couple of moments to help us out if would be appreciated :)

Just pop your answers to the 3 questions below (being sure to number them or answer directly below the questions) in this thread, or alternatively send me a PM with your responses.

Thanks everyone!

At the moment hitch lock, wheel clamp, prayers and the fact that it's a wreck! :)

According to the news that nothing is fool/bandit proof

Currently house hunting - I have seen posts that seem a good idea but also rather strong gates with the 'van behind. I'd appreciate a Harry Potter Invisability cloak to use as a cover once my little van is pristine! :D

1, None

2, None

3, Move to France

hitch lock plus tracker

none

Depends entirely on where they live. I feel perfectly safe where I am now, but would not leave caravan at my last address in Leeds.

On my drive it has 7 locks and 2 separate lines of security posts and leg and PIR alarm sensors and in storage it is inside with electric doors and CCTV and the 7 locks and 2 more locks are to be fitted on my shopping list .

Insurance .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

1, None

2, None

3, Move to France

Same applies here in Germany. While the caravan is in storage I only lock the door and that's it. No hitchlock, no alarm, no wheel clamp. Even the storage area is readily accessible to anyone with a minimum of determination.

Same applies here in Germany. While the caravan is in storage I only lock the door and that's it. No hitchlock, no alarm, no wheel clamp. Even the storage area is readily accessible to anyone with a minimum of determination.

Lutz is the cost of insurance reflected by the lack of caravan thefts. ? How does it compare to UK without a registration system.

Dave

Lutz is the cost of insurance reflected by the lack of caravan thefts. ? How does it compare to UK without a registration system.

I pay 135€ a year with AXA in France for fully comp including European breakdown/recovery.

Woah. I turn my back for 5 minutes (OK, an hour and a half) and look how helpful you've all been :)

Thanks very much everyone, really appreciated feedback.

Keeeep it comin' ^_^

1. Hitch Lock,wheel clamp,security cameras at storage.

2 Only when we are asleep in side.

3 Have some one move in when away.

1. Hitch lock, wheel lock. Tracker, Alarm. My name and postcode scattered about van in very unusual places that I can tell Police about. In a barn with a very nosy farmer.

2. Crown Prosecution department. They don't prosecute that is. Put the power to choose how and what to do in an investigation, and when to prosecute back in the hands of the Police.

3. Make it as difficult to steal as is practicable. The well known locks are just that well known. They will deter a casual but not a professional who knows exactly how to over come them. Something like a length of proper chain and a real tough padlock through the a frame or over an axle helps, because it slows them down. Nosy neighbours are good as is CCTV etc. I'm a fan of axle stands if the van is not being used for some time but the insurance companies don't seem to like them.

Manufacturer standard Tracker and Alarm, alko wheel lock, jsb hub lock,hitch lock, security lighting

most devices easily overcome by gas axe or grinder.

Don't take it for granted that because it's feet from your window that some body will not try and steal it. Fit as many security devices as you can afford, try and make potential thief move on to easier target.

Have good insurance wherever you store it.

All the locks and wheel devices& cctv

oh and 2 German Sheppard's who would love to say hi

:D

Hi Nick. Having had my caravans stored at home in the past. I was very luck because I was in a very high profile position as the first house in the cul de sac.

That said. I would have a pair of rise and fall bollards installed but instead them being of key operated I would look into electric ones;operated from inside of the house.

They would be about 5feet apart and set into a wide and deep concrete footing and not individually sunken into the ground.

All of the usual security kit would also be employed.

My main concern would be the peripheral damage to the caravan if the theft was not successful;as you would hope.

I would advise multi positioning of CCTV equipment and with the cameras positioned well out of reach and preferably behind dedicated cages/grills.

1. Secure Storage with wheel and hitch clamp.

2. None.

3. If possable have hitch pointing inwards with hitch lock and wheel clamp.

1 Hitch lock

2 wheel locks

2 dogs

Try to make it as difficult to slow them and as noisy as possible dogs will do the rest.

Do those who have dogs (I do BTW) leave them loose on the property or even in the van?

Having a dog barking at the window will do nothing but make a mess of your windows. A friend of mine was burgled and they put a garden fork into the dog then carried on wandering through the house.

Sorry if it reads grim, but that's the types that are out to get your stuff. And the dog was a great guard dog too, had to be kept in a separate room with visitors calling.

I still think a pic of the wife is a better deterrent.

H.

1. What measures do you take to keep your caravan secure? Hitchlock only
2. What are your biggest concerns regarding caravan security? None
Insurance and keep your valuables/family keepsakes in the house

Caravan(s) now sold and replaced by motorhome, but when we had 'vans. ..
Hitchlock, security post set into deep concrete base and two wheel clamps, installed alarm, and parked behind lockable six foot gates, and under PIR security lamps. Caravan parked to the side of the house, with six foot wall or fence on all sides.

That a missing caravan may indicate an unoccupied house. Not the case at our house, the caravan would often be used when the house was still occupied, and visa-versa. Household security timed lighting installed.
A caravan that is accessible to the front of a house, may not be stolen, but is still a target for anyone wishing to damage it.

One word - don't!
I would not place a caravan on the driveway, but I would, and have stored them within the rear or side garden.

Additionally, make sure you have a well defined and up to date insurance policy for the caravan. If possible try to have additional security measures that a thief would not be expecting.

Sign in to follow this