adora

Are Adria Vans Better Built Than Their British Counterparts?

Just a thought. ..are Adria caravans better built on average than their British counterparts?

I'm not suggesting that they are and obviously they are not sold in anything like the same quantities in this country as are their British counterparts but it does seem that there are comparatively very few posts complaining about the construction of Adria vans which you often read about with other makes of van and which is definitely reassuring and good news for existing and potential Adria owners.

I'm certainly pleased with mine so what do you think?

Tony

They do look very good and I like there vans a lot, the nail in the coffin of Adria for myself is that they do not recognise NCC workshop servicing.

If it wasn't for that one issue I would get one without doubt.

No.

No.

Not really an answer is it.

Please explain why "No"

No.

I presume you've owned one and from your personal experiences can therefore support your emphatic opinion?

I'm sitting in mine (Adora Seine) at the moment and am very pleased with the quality. I think the Brits are ahead when it comes to design appearance both inside and outside but FWIW, to a newbie the catalogue of quality control disasters that all of the British manufacturers seem to have inflicted on themselves over the past two years just put me off. That and the fact that there seemed to be about a £2500 saving for a similarly specced van. And the northern main dealer for Adria is onlt 12 miles from me.

Easy decision really

Mike

I currently run a Dethleffs and cant believe why more people don't trust the build quality of a German van,

Seems strange that Bmws Mercs and Audis run at a premium but my van which I believe is better made is cheaper than its British equivalent

By the way Im over 22 stone and put most things I own through the ringer,

And finally I bet if something did go wrong id get a replacement part quicker from Germany than the company on my doorstep in Co Durham where my last leaky fragile van originated from.

Edited by simonayre

I currently run a Dethleffs and cant believe why more people don't trust the build quality of a German van,

Seems strange that Bmws Mercs and Audis run at a premium but my van which I believe is better made is cheaper than its British equivalent

By the way Im over 22 stone and put most things I own through the ringer,

And finally I bet if something did go wrong id get a replacement part quicker from Germany than the company on my doorstep in Co Durham where my last leaky fragile van originated from.

The issue is not build quality, I'm sure it's extremely robust. The problem I have with a Dethleffs is there attraction to the travelling community :o

I'm sitting in mine (Adora Seine) at the moment and am very pleased with the quality. I think the Brits are ahead when it comes to design appearance both inside and outside but FWIW, to a newbie the catalogue of quality control disasters that all of the British manufacturers seem to have inflicted on themselves over the past two years just put me off. That and the fact that there seemed to be about a £2500 saving for a similarly specced van. And the northern main dealer for Adria is onlt 12 miles from me.

Easy decision really

Mike

Hey Mike, where is the main Adria dealers in Country Durham and what is the company called?

I have my van sited near Castleside

The issue is not build quality, I'm sure it's extremely robust. The problem I have with a Dethleffs is there attraction to the travelling community :o

Now you see that wouldn't put me off!

No, I have't owned an Adria, but i have worked on them and most other Foreign vans, they are built in the same way as UK vans, I've seen damp issue's, poor workmanship, etc etc, just read some of the European caravan forums and you will see they have the same problems as us, we forget that the proportion of poor UK vans are fairly low compared with production numbers, there simply not the the volume of foreign vans in the UK, so therefore the problems appear less, the OP asked if Adria's were better built and i my opinion and experience they are not, so I think I answered the question. I'm sure that Adria owners are on the whole very happy with their vans, as I am with mine, and I hope they have many years of trouble free enjoyment from them.

Edited by metz

ive never seen a traveller in a dethleffs just hobbys

Bother. ..the guy in the next van where I have mine sited has a Hobby!

No, I have't owned an Adria, but i have worked on them and most other Foreign vans, they are built in the same way as UK vans, I've seen damp issue's, poor workmanship, etc etc, just read some of the European caravan forums and you will see they have the same problems as us, we forget that the proportion of poor UK vans are fairly low compared with production numbers, there simply not the the volume of foreign vans in the UK, so therefore the problems appear less, the OP asked if Adria's were better built and i my opinion and experience they are not, so I think I answered the question. I'm sure that Adria owners are on the whole very happy with their vans, as I am with mine, and I hope they have many years of trouble free enjoyment from them.

I think its great that your happy with your Swift and not all are problem caravans, It does seem that with UK caravans you either love them or hate them (depending on your own personal experience)

But. ....... can I ask what was the age of the last Adria caravan you serviced, considering that Adria do not approve of NCC Workshops and you have to return to a main Dealer for servicing, to maintain the Three, Six or Ten Year warranties.

Or do you work for a Main Adria Mobile Dealer ?

I've done my best to check European forums for problems with Adria and I can only return a couple of posts around 2006. It does seem though that Australians like Adria Mobile caravans and motor homes.

Could you possibly direct us to these European Adria forums ??

Edited by Gaz40

Hey Mike, where is the main Adria dealers in Country Durham and what is it called?

I have my van sited near Castleside

Teesside Caravans just off the A19/A66 junction. They have quite a lot of Adria's in the showroom.

Mike

hmmmm . .. I really fancied one of the spaceship style latest Hobby's until people pointed out that the Travellers use them. Well rather naively I thought they should be able to judge a good caravan, but then I was told to try calling some caravan sites to find that at least half of them wouldn't accept Hobby's

They are good points Metz, and worth considering.

Mike

I loved my Adora 612dp and think pound for pound adria are a top choice, the only reason i did not buy another new adria was i wanted a luxury 2 birth with alde heating which adria dont have at this moment, one thing is for sure, if you buy an adria you are buying a well made robust bit if kit. . but i do love my new Crusader ! Stu

Got to be honest I tried extensively earlier this year to research some of the European forums and didn't come up with same issues and certainly in same quantities as the issues as you see on these and the other main UK caravanning forums. By issues I mean damp and poor construction including cracking and structural issues on "new" vans

Whether Adria are "better" built or its simply they are more consistently built and have better QC procedures before they leave the (very modern) factory I am not sure but i do think those two points are very relevant as it seems many don't have issues with their UK vans but a good number do

Either way we are very happy with our Adria which is all that matters to us. The servicing issue to maintain the warranty I accept can be an issue, but maybe that is part of how they maintain quality?

Edited by sunshinetours

I think that's the conclusion I came to SunshineTours - consistency of their quality control, which many UK owners believed UK manufacturers had let slip badly over the past 2 or 3 years. There are things that could have been designed better in my current Adora Seine (the sliding door is a bit naff, could do with a sunroof heki, the fold down shelf thing will need beefing up), but then they have put some great design features in like every cupboard and seat back and bed has air circulation at the back, and the chassis is Alko's ultra long Aframe one, and the beds are Tempur and both are very wide and long. OK so you don't get a microwave (£60) or a telly (£200) or wet Alde (but who wants to pay £300 every two years for that anyway),

Mike

Teesside Caravans just off the A19/A66 junction. They have quite a lot of Adria's in the showroom.

Mike

hmmmm . .. I really fancied one of the spaceship style latest Hobby's until people pointed out that the Travellers use them. Well rather naively I thought they should be able to judge a good caravan, but then I was told to try calling some caravan sites to find that at least half of them wouldn't accept Hobby's

Thanks for the info Mike - I must pass near to them every time I go up to my van as I use the A19 from Thirsk up to Teeside before turning off so next time I'm passing, I'll pop in if I have time.

Regarding Hobby vans etc:

To be perfectly honest, if I owned a Hobby or similar caravan and was refused entry to certain sites purely on the basis of caravan brand stereotyping, that wouldn't bother me as I really wouldn't want to stay anywhere where site owners were so prejudiced and bigoted!

I very often pass caravan dwellers on the roadside in my area on a weekly basis and being a caravan enthusiast I always have a glance at which vans they use and on average, I've found by far the most popular vans for them are English brand caravans!

I wonder if these same site owners refuse entry to BMW owners on the basis that these cars are very often favoured by middle ranking drug dealers? ;)

The small site upon which I have had my van sited for the past 21 years has only about a dozen widely spaced static pitches and on there are two Fendts and a Hobby - all owned by what I'd consider very middle class, respectable people so this stereotyping by brand is somewhat flawed.

Tony

I loved my Adora 612dp and think pound for pound adria are a top choice, the only reason i did not buy another new adria was i wanted a luxury 2 birth with alde heating which adria dont have at this moment, one thing is for sure, if you buy an adria you are buying a well made robust bit if kit. . but i do love my new Crusader ! Stu

Glad you like your new van Stu. ..I really didn't know anything about Adria until I had this one given me by my daughters as a present. I was happy enough with my old 2 berth Ace Rallyman which I'd owned for 21 years but I couldn't have chosen a better caravan replacement if I'd looked for it myself.

I would only have considered changing vans if it had a fixed bed plus partition and also had long daybeds and the layout of the Adora 532LD met my needs perfectly - as you say, they seem very good value for money and well made too and I reckon I can live without such things as Alde heating and a few other things that some English vans offer. ..heck my last van didn't even have blown air heating and I've spent many a cosy night in there when the temperatures outside were actually freezing and came to no harm so this one will do for me! :)

Tony

Edited by adora

It would be nice if Adria produced an Adora 2 berth luxury in their latest Glam version. We do really like our Seine and we bought it assuming the family would come and stay over, but they have never done so all summer. It would be nicer to tow a smaller van.

ref the blown air - I have bought the armaflex insulation and will get round to fitting it in the next couple of weeks. I will report back whether it makes a difference. It has cost me about £40 to buy (more than) enough stuff to do the 2 black pipes. I bet it would have cost the manufacturer less than £10 to do the job during manufacture. That is a daft design failing.

Mike

It would be nice if Adria produced an Adora 2 berth luxury in their latest Glam version. We do really like our Seine and we bought it assuming the family would come and stay over, but they have never done so all summer. It would be nicer to tow a smaller van.

ref the blown air - I have bought the armaflex insulation and will get round to fitting it in the next couple of weeks. I will report back whether it makes a difference. It has cost me about £40 to buy (more than) enough stuff to do the 2 black pipes. I bet it would have cost the manufacturer less than £10 to do the job during manufacture. That is a daft design failing.

Mike

Things seem to have gone full circle these days - when I bought my last van 21 years ago, it was a two berth and back then it was always known that 2 berths were harder to sell than 4 or 5 berth vans as they appealed to families and therefore more likely to be sold quickly. My first serious van was an old Piper with no fridge or water heater, but my kids were around 14-15 and didn't really want to go with us so I got rid of the Piper and bought a 2 berth Ace Rally man and it was great. Fridge, oven, hot water and shower what more could you want one asks.

When I put my old 2 berth up for sale recently after I'd got this one, I was not expecting much interest and presumed it would take a while to sell but I was inundated with calls and sold it on the first viewing - seems like there are more couples taking up caravanning than there used to be and two berths are more popular than they used to be.

I certainly wouldn't go back to setting the bed up every night if I had a choice but I suppose I'd do it if I was still touring!

Tony

If the tourer has sofas that are long enough (and wide enough) I guess you don't have to set up the bed or go to bed at the same time even. I think the thing that appealed to us when we were looking at some Swift 2-berths was that you DID have room to swing the cat around in the bathroom.

Mike

Funny you should mention that. I was parked with my Dethleffs on a city car park in Peterborough last year when a scruffy Ford Transit pulled up next to me and the person inside called out: "Arrr, tis a verry foin caravan uve got there, t'be shurrr".

Fortunately, I was parked with the caravan only inches away from a wall at the back and my car blocking the way out front :)