Sign in to follow this  
Ern

On Board Water Tanks

I don't think you ever get rid of those annoying design ideas.

If they cure one they come up with three more new ones.

As you say, I doubt many of them have ever been out in a van for their hols!

We have a 40l on board tank and use the van throughout the year and wouldn't be without it

For me the main advantage as someone who caravans through winter is being able to use the water at any time without it freezing like I have had just using an Aquaroll on my last caravan in sub zero conditions.

As I tend to keep the tank topped it also means that I can fill the Aquaroll when I want to and not straight away when it empties.

Another small advantage is that you have a back up pump should either the internal or external one fail when the dealers are shut. (not happened yet but you never know lol.)

Until I used one myself I also thought that they where a waste of time and I really missed it on my last caravan which didn't have one fitted.

An old thread, but thought I would add my two peneth worth.  :)

We bought a European van because our main use is to spend 2-solid months each year in Holland near my wifes family and the door is on the right side for thier pitches.

Unlike our old Bailey, the new caravan came with an on board water tank. 50 litres I think. I was initially worried about this, but on all the Dutch sites we have stayed at, I think an Aquaroll would be extra hassle to be honest.

In Holland I have found that a water tap is usually less than 30 feet away with drainage points close to the pitches.

Caravaners tend to either attach their hose pipe to the taps with the hose pipe attachment already fitter or just fill a watering can and top up their internal tank from time to time.

About 50% of the caravaners place a bucket or Wastemaster under the caravan and empty them each day, or they run a waste pipe to the drain points.

I haven't seen any so called super pitches on our travels where you connect to running water, I am sure they will exist, but unlike many of the UK sites, water taps and drains tend to be close by.

We tend to go at the start or end of the season to avoid the busy holiday months. The internal water tank is under one of the dining chairs over the axle. Given that this is a 5-birth, wide body caravan with just 2 of us and the dog, we do not miss the storage space the tank takes up, but with temperatures falling to below zero in March or November, a frozen Aquaroll is a thing of the past.

I do worry about using the caravan in the UK however where water taps can be a good 100 meters away sometimes or even more.  :(

I guess that sums up why Aquarolls are still heavily used in the UK and in Holland, you rarely see them!

20181005_123411.jpg

20181005_123530.jpg

I’m sure my van has an onboard tank, but from memory it’s only about 15 litres.  

Have never used it to be honest.  

There are two water inlets on the van, straight to tap and via tank.  

Sterling Elite Emerald:

• Carpet with 45oz pile weight
• 40 litre underfloor insulated fresh water tank with Autofill control system
• Built-in microwave oven with
digital controls

22 minutes ago, Steamerpoint said:

Sterling Elite Emerald:

• Carpet with 45oz pile weight
• 40 litre underfloor insulated fresh water tank with Autofill control system
• Built-in microwave oven with
digital controls

Thanks for that.  

So underfloor means under the caravan? I have been under there and never seen one.  

In mine it seems to be under the sofa, it’s fairly small and black. I took the lid off to check it was empty, and I can’t see it holding 40L.  

E783C4E0-8C91-42AA-A8E2-CEAFA797BAEB.jpeg

Edited by Hort2074

7 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

In mine it seems to be under the sofa, it’s fairly small and black. I took the lid off to check it was empty, and I can’t see it holding 40L.  

. ..perhaps it is empty!

13 minutes ago, SamD said:

. ..perhaps it is empty!

Well yes, it definitely is.  

Thanks 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hort2074 said:

Thanks for that.  

So underfloor means under the caravan? I have been under there and never seen one.  

E783C4E0-8C91-42AA-A8E2-CEAFA797BAEB.jpeg

Are you sure that you are not looking at the hot water boiler?

25 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

No, not sure at all to be honest.  

Only had the van a few months and been away twice, still lots to learn.  

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

That is certainly not a hot water boiler with a screw cap fitted.

It is an on board water tank with pump and surge damper attached to the side.

If the specification states it is 40 Ltr then it must be or they would be breaching the law with false information.

Edited by Brecon

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

If the specification states it is 40 Ltr then it must be or they would be breaching the law with false information.

But it also says it’s underfloor and insulated.  

Its neither of those.

Im confused!!!

I am seriously thinking of fitting an onboard tank under my Swift.

Does anyone have any experience of how difficult a job this is?

11 minutes ago, racingmars said:

12 minutes ago, racingmars said:

Do you mean underfloor?

For a caravan underfloor has little in its favour because of the weight unless it is empty.

Underbunk has the very real advantage of resisting freezing in cold weather.

There is underfloor and underslung. An underslung tank can be completely uninsulated an therefore freeze like an aqua roll we have a 50l tank that sits in its own insulated box can be drained to 20l for traveling and has never frozen.   Also has the advantage of only carrying one aquaroll instead of the previous two.   

1 hour ago, fred said:

There is underfloor and underslung. An underslung tank can be completely uninsulated an therefore freeze like an aqua roll we have a 50l tank that sits in its own insulated box can be drained to 20l for traveling and has never frozen.   Also has the advantage of only carrying one aquaroll instead of the previous two.   

sSorry have to disagree.   On our Delta TI the tank was underslung and we never ever had an issue with it freezing up even when the temperature dropped below zero.   I was told why not but cannot remember now.   :)

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:00, Stevan said:

Do you mean underfloor?

For a caravan underfloor has little in its favour because of the weight unless it is empty.

Underbunk has the very real advantage of resisting freezing in cold weather.

I disagree, having had both. My old Bessacarr had an 80 litre under floor tank, which was excellent. The current 30 litre under bunk offering is a pain as its volume doesn't match the Aquroll. You fill as much as you can, top it up, then start again, plus the loss of the bunk storage.

I keep thinking about upgrading to the old system!