Sign in to follow this  
Ern

On Board Water Tanks

What is the advantage of an on board tank? I can only see the disadvantages -You cannot travel with water in it because of the weight. You still need an Aquaroll or similar to fetch the water to the pitch. You have to pump the water twice. A lot of locker space is taken up. If you use it to store extra water on the pitch you still have to take the waste tank for emptying before you've used up the fresh water. I must be missing something, but what? What is the point of them?

We have an 'on-board' tank and it is actually under-slung so no loss of storage. I struggle to see the point of it too.

On 21/09/2013 at 23:44, Ian Hastings said:

What is the advantage of an on board tank? I can only see the disadvantages -You cannot travel with water in it because of the weight.

You can, with some outfits.

You still need an Aquaroll or similar to fetch the water to the pitch.

Not always, some can be filled directly from a mains hose inlet.

You have to pump the water twice.

Not if you use a mains water inlet, as on a motorhome.

A lot of locker space is taken up.

Some tanks are underslung, below the floor level, but a reasonable tank is only about 18" square, so about a quarter of a bed locker.

If you use it to store extra water on the pitch you still have to take the waste tank for emptying before you've used up the fresh water.

Not if you book a pitch with adjacent grey waste drain.

I must be missing something, but what? What is the point of them?

You will notice from my replies that I am biased in favour of an onboard tank. We have had several on various caravans and motorhomes, and have always traveled with them full (not half full, but full). They are invaluable for rallies, where a fresh water supply could be some considerable distance away, possibly in the next field. True they are heavy, but with the right towcar, and caravan with appropriate payload, then this arrangement is fine. For me, the advantage is that some water can be used en route if needed, without diminishing the supply to a point where the water can slop around. Our tanks have always been mounted forward of the axle. Once on site, you have water on tap immediately, for that all important brew, and you don't need to take an aquaroll for a walk straight away if it is raining, but I accept you may have to place a waste container under the caravan, or run a grey pipe to the drain point.

For me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but I will concede that if weight is an issue, or you are concerned about stability while towing, then an onboard tank is not for you.

Gordon.

I have used mine ever since I found a small furry mammal floating dead in my Aquaroll.

Is the biggest advantage not freezing in cold weather?

mine is a small 21 litre tank on wheels, when I am free camping like on the docks or overnight somewhere then I take out the tank, wheel it to a toilet block or any water tap wheel it back and I then have enough water to last me the night, and I can empty the waste into a bucket.

Absolutely brilliant and could not do without it for times such as mentioned.

Many times I have pulled up at the docks check in booth the night before, what the hell am I going to do with a giant aqua roll, when in a rush early in the morning.

if there is one good reason to have an on board tank on a touring caravan would someone please enlighten me?

See #5 above.

I fill mine then fill the aquaroll again and use the aquaroll till its empty then once I empty that I can switch to the onboard tank without going outside. For us 90ltrs of fresh water creates less than 45ltrs of grey so no emptying that until both tanks are empty.

As we are a family we tend to say at Haven sites which is populated with thieving so and so's(thieves are available at other sites!) so sometimes fill the onboard tank and put the aquaroll and pump in the front locker. It's also nice to have it empty and packed away the night before leaving and still having water right up to hitching then the last thing before pulling away is open the drain valve. I like to travel with a fresh coffee in my travel mug :)

I fill mine then fill the aquaroll again and use the aquaroll till its empty then once I empty that I can switch to the onboard tank without going outside. For us 90ltrs of fresh water creates less than 45ltrs of grey so no emptying that until both tanks are empty.

As we are a family we tend to say at Haven sites which is populated with thieving so and so's(thieves are available at other sites!) so sometimes fill the onboard tank and put the aquaroll and pump in the front locker. It's also nice to have it empty and packed away the night before leaving and still having water right up to hitching then the last thing before pulling away is open the drain valve. I like to travel with a fresh coffee in my travel mug :)

Where does the other 45 litres go? Is their some sort of magic happening?

Right. So far the advantages are 1. Water won't freeze. 2. Prevents Tampering/Theft. 3. Quick getaway in the morning. 4. No furry mammals. Our 20L jerrycan achieves the same.

As above we mainly use ours in freezing conditions. We fill the Aquaroll up when the site taps have unfrozen during the day, then fill the onboard tank (40L) up. Then if needed we fill the Aquaroll up again (probably not fully) for use during the day, then in the late afternoon we empty the Aquaroll and bring it inside along with the pipe. We then have enough water on board to last us until the taps unfreeze again the following day.

This was the procedure at Chatsworth in Feb in the snow last year anyway.

Where does the other 45 litres go? Is their some sort of magic happening?

Filling the toilet flush tank and priming the hot water tank and pipe work must be 20ltrs? Then that leaves 25ltrs for drinking. .. 4 people over 3 days doesn't sound too far out

Who said they dont freeze. ........................with the SUB ZERO TEMP we had in march mine did !!!!!

Excellent if near or within reach of a hose pipe but a pain in the bum if you have to fill them with a container.

Ste

Underslung tanks as per our Delta Ti will, I'm sure, freeze in severe winter conditions as it's not insulated and should have been put in-board.

As above we mainly use ours in freezing conditions. We fill the Aquaroll up when the site taps have unfrozen during the day, then fill the onboard tank (40L) up. Then if needed we fill the Aquaroll up again (probably not fully) for use during the day, then in the late afternoon we empty the Aquaroll and bring it inside along with the pipe. We then have enough water on board to last us until the taps unfreeze again the following day.

This was the procedure at Chatsworth in Feb in the snow last year anyway.

Why do you bring the empty Aquaroll inside?

Why do you bring the empty Aquaroll inside

My thoughts were that the screw on tops would freeze on and also any water left in the bottom. It was easy to do so why not. We put it in the shower. Plus if it snowed overnight we wouldn't have to dig it out.

The main thing being you don't have to go outside first thing in the morning in the freezing cold because you have no water.

We also emptied the Wastemaster last thing at night. People have mentioned using a bucket instead so that it is easily emptied if it freezes solid.

Edited by Shirl250

Like DMUK. ..

I fill mine then fill the aquaroll again but I use the onboard tank until the nearly empty light comes on then I can switch to the aquaroll without going outside.

Every 48 hours I top up again regardless of whether the aquaroll is empty.

We do mainly fully serviced pitches "sur le continent" where we have direct water feed and drainage.

In the UK we use CC CLs where it's normally acceptable for the grey waste to be piped into the hedgerow (we're careful not to allow and food waste down the sink!).

The pain on the fully serviced pitches is you have to put 6+ litres in the onboard tank to make the low water warning light go out (that or strategically place a small square of insulating tape over the ***** light!!!!! :rolleyes:

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag

I fill my onboard with hose on arrival on site saving one trip at least.

We use onboard for shower because it gives better pressure.

We also use it as reserve if the aquarol runs out when you least want to refill it - eg night or raining.

Winter when outside freezing.

Would never buy one without now.

We would not be without an onboard tank.

I think the main reason being convenience. Wherever we stop we have water readily available. If you pull into the services for lunch it is so easy to legs-down and kettle on. With the Alde heating you retain a tank full of hot water for washing hands and dishes.

As above, it prevents freezing in winter, plus it helps the shower because the water is at van temperature, not outside temperature.

We always fill the tank with the hosepipe at home before setting off.

I have made up a multi adaptor that takes either the hose for filling or the airline for blowing down.

Les

Forgot the water temp advantage staffordshirechina :blush:

As you say in cold weather the shower stays hotter longer if the water onboard is used - I tend to fill it in the morning so it has all day to warm up before we use the shower at night - fresh cold water in aquarol = very quick shower or cold shock at end :lol:

That's interesting Les. Hope you don't mind me asking, whereabouts is your tank located, what amount of water do you put in it and what caravan model is that?

We would not be without an onboard tank.

I think the main reason being convenience. Wherever we stop we have water readily available. If you pull into the services for lunch it is so easy to legs-down and kettle on. With the Alde heating you retain a tank full of hot water for washing hands and dishes.

As above, it prevents freezing in winter, plus it helps the shower because the water is at van temperature, not outside temperature.

We always fill the tank with the hosepipe at home before setting off.

I have made up a multi adaptor that takes either the hose for filling or the airline for blowing down.

Les

Ian, ours is a 2013 Sterling Searcher (same layout as Conqueror 630). The tank is in the front locker opposite the door.

I find I can put half a tank of water in without affecting the nose weight. After that I have to mitigate with stuff loaded behind the axles if I want a full tank whilst travelling.

Les

Forgot the water temp advantage staffordshirechina :blush:

As you say in cold weather the shower stays hotter longer if the water onboard is used - I tend to fill it in the morning so it has all day to warm up before we use the shower at night - fresh cold water in aquarol = very quick shower or cold shock at end :lol:

Showers are the issue with our internal tank. The switch-over valves are under the front chest of drawers and can not be accessed with the double bed made. And that is what SWMBO does when I go for my shower, so if I run out of water from the internal tank then there is no way of turning the valves over without un-making the bed.

Showers are the issue with our internal tank. The switch-over valves are under the front chest of drawers and can not be accessed with the double bed made. And that is what SWMBO does when I go for my shower, so if I run out of water from the internal tank then there is no way of turning the valves over without un-making the bed.

Our Senator is like that, easy mod, fit a terminal on the outside for a submersible pump, pipe into the water tank, simply flick the switch saves all the mucking about with valves. We can be filling the internal tank whilst showering at the same time!

Edited by rovertug

This sort of design issue really frustrates me. On my van if I want to switch the immersion heater on or off when the bed is made up I have to crawl under it on my hands and knees. Have these "designers" ever been caravanning? I'll be changing my van in a coupe of years and I think it's time I started compiling a list of these sorts of issues to try and avoid them.