Sign in to follow this  
Dan1

Should I Base My Caravan Choice On...

. ...whether it is stereotypically desirable to the travelling folk?

I really like the build, price and layout of a particular brand of caravan that is long associated with a certain way of life.

Thing is, it would be a new one. And my wife really thinks that we are inviting trouble to our caravan door step if we got one.

Do you think we are being over the top scaredy cats or logically thinking about an increased risk of theft, etc. ?

This really isnt a post to start bashing a particular culture, im thinking crime prevention.

What ever caravan you have If someone wants it they will get it, All you can do is make it as secure as possible

No point in encouraging trouble. I would leave well alone!

On the contrary Lea, this is, (if it is what I suspect it is) a solid very well built van which will last for years and years. Why do you think they are so popular with travelling folk? Why do you think they are the van of choice for many ordinary folk in Holland and Germany? Why do you think the Dutch, who are the world's greatest caravanners (by percentage of population owning a caravan) buy so few British vans?

There might be a slightly higher risk of it being stolen by a bent member of that community, but then all caravans are at risk at sometime or other. That is what insurance is for. There is one parked in the front driveway of a house two streets from us which has been there for at least four years, apart from when it is being used. Never a hint of trouble.

When you turn up on an English site with it there will be some snobs who will turn their nose up at it. Ignore them for they are unjustly prejudiced. If perchance you do make friends on a site and they come into your van you will enjoy watching their jaws drop at how well fitted and presented and how comfortable it is.

On the contrary Lea, this is, (if it is what I suspect it is) a solid very well built van which will last for years and years. Why do you think they are so popular with travelling folk? Why do you think they are the van of choice for many ordinary folk in Holland and Germany? Why do you think the Dutch, who are the world's greatest caravanners (by percentage of population owning a caravan) buy so few British vans?

There might be a slightly higher risk of it being stolen by a bent member of that community, but then all caravans are at risk at sometime or other. That is what insurance is for. There is one parked in the front driveway of a house two streets from us which has been there for at least four years, apart from when it is being used. Never a hint of trouble.

When you turn up on an English site with it there will be some snobs who will turn their nose up at it. Ignore them for they are unjustly prejudiced. If perchance you do make friends on a site and they come into your van you will enjoy watching their jaws drop at how well fitted and presented and how comfortable it is.

Ok! Ok!

So you like foreign vans! Your choice. It was my advice in answering the question. No need to defend yourself so vociferously.

Personally we don't like them but I would never condemn anyone from buying one in the same way you seem to condemn those who dare to buy British! :)

Ok! Ok!

So you like foreign vans! Your choice. It was my advice in answering the question. No need to defend yourself so vociferously.

Personally we don't like them but I would never condemn anyone from buying one in the same way you seem to condemn those who dare to buy British! :)

No Lea, I'm not condemmning you, nor anyone who buys British. I would far rather buy a British one if I could find one that suited. Sorry if I've offended, that was not the intention.

No Lea, I'm not condemmning you, nor anyone who buys British. I would far rather buy a British one if I could find one that suited. Sorry if I've offended, that was not the intention.

No problem!

Our next door neighbour has had a few over the last 10 years or so and he hasn't had a problems

Personally I would not give a second thought to what anyone else may or may not be thinking

Go for whatever suits you best and in reality when you turn up at a site and you do things in a civilised and polite manner then those who jumped to conclusions may take a different stance and if not then it says more about them than you. :D

I most certainly would not buy British just because I am British, sorry but for me those days have long gone. Now its what's best for my family and fits in with out budget and other criteria

My advice for what its worth. Go with your instinct after having done the appropriate research into just exactly what is available within your spend levels and suits your family and situation.

As for security, well we are all vulnerable on that front but if the manufacturer of the van in which you are interested is a target for "ner do wells" then you will have to factor that in as well. Whatever your choice enjoy and welcome. :D

Edited by Johnedg

Great vans but. ........... some sites don't allow them check when you book, high insurance due to known reasons. Poor image as travellers use them a lot! Great shame as they are lovely vans.

Can't understand why you don't just say the name of the van. Hobby? Tabbert? LMC? And I really believe this thing of sites turning certain vans/vehicles away is a modern urban myth.

I'd personally buy whichever caravan suited my needs and budget. And if it's a make of caravan which has a certain "reputation" attached to it, then so be it.

You probably aren't being scaredy cats regarding the risk of theft. I suspect the risk of theft may well be higher, particularly if you live in a high risk area, but I am quite surprised at the number of caravan thefts of whatever make which are reported here. It might be worth checking with the police what caravan theft has been like in your area over the last few years.

As far as the attitude of other caravanners and campsite owners is concerned, although it has been mentioned on here quite a lot, I'd never given it a thought and I may be in the minority. I just thought they were nice caravans and I've seen them on sites on our travels so they aren't that stigmatised!!!

Good luck with your decision.

Any caravan site owner who turns away a caravan owner based on caravan brand is not worth patronising!

Sign in to follow this