Sign in to follow this  
macafee2

What Are The Good Makes Of Leisure Battery?

as per title, what are the good makes of a leisure battery.

I think the biggest that will fit is a 100ha. box size is 340mm wide, 180mm deep and 220mm high.

will go for lead acid.

macafee2

• Like 1

I think the biggest that will fit is a 100ha. box size is 340mm wide, 180mm deep and 220mm high.

will go for lead acid.

macafee2

Hi macafee2. The interesting thing about batteries in the UK is that there are only about 3 or 4 manufacturers. The name of the game is 'Badge Engineering' and they all carry different and often conflicting claims to quality/life of the product/products. That said,in my experience,those that carry the name of Varta are the most reliable that I have had, albeit only fitted to my cars. Leisure batteries are made in a different way because of what they are required to do.

They don't need a Cold Crank capability.

A 110ah battery is the usual heavy duty leisure battery used in caravans and the like.

will go for lead acid.

macafee2

You will notice if you look at the batteries the label is just stuck on the side. The reason being that there are really not that many battery factories around, they just stick labels on the side and offer a guarantee. The longer the guarantee, the more you pay, but it is still the same battery you are buying. Pay a little more and they take the risk, pay a bit less and you take the risk of early demise.

Edited by harry.m1byt

As you specifically ask for "makes" rather than "Brands" the better moderately priced Leisure batteries are IMO:

Exide, Banner and Varta.

I would advise you first read John Wickershams very telling article from the Caravan Club's Oct 2010 magazine, "Power Players". Available online in the archive section, at least to members. Note the importance of meeting EN50342

You can buy higher quality, true Deep cycling and traction, offerings including from those makers but IMO it gets rather pointless for our needs.

Myself I would go for a Banner Energy Bull, as last time I looked it is one of the few still featuring topping up facilities.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

I bought a numax 110 lot better powering the movers.

If I was purchasing a leisure battery I would tend to go for Exide, Varta or possibly Bosch if they still make them! I use similar products for my vehicles and have always had good service from them, so I don't see why they would be different for leisure batteries.

To be honest, in the 25 years I've had a caravan, I've never actually owned a leisure battery and always used a spare car battery which I've always kept because I have always owned at least two cars and preferred to have a spare battery as a standby should I need it!

I'm sure there will be hundreds of hands thrown up in the air as I write this but I've never had the need to buy a dedicated leisure battery and I've never had any problems with premature failure etc!

My old van didn't even have an inbuilt charger so if I was using the van for a week or so, I just gave the battery a quick top up near the end of the week with my commercial charger and everything was fine. I then re-charged it fully ready for use when I returned and they lasted years.

I certainly wouldn't suggest this would suit everyone as my caravan has always been sited with EHU and use of the battery was merely for very occasional 12v lighting, water pump and when using the Carver water heater.

As I've said, if you want a good leisure battery, by and large stick with a good well known and respected manufacturer - you'll pay more but the chances are that the battery will last longer and give better service.

Got my Numax 110amp leisure battery from the interweb 3 years ago. It was delivered the following day and seems to be fine.

I think I paid £80 for it - not sure that its worth the extra for a top brand but time will tell no doubt :D

Edited by springtime

Google "Banner Energy Bull" and associated reviews. All good, not the cheapest but reliable and offer good performance.

thanks for the replies i'll do some more looking around

macafee2

The "problem" with a good battery is that for a given Ah rating they tend to be bigger and heavier so make sure they fit. I also depends what you need the battery for. If you are always on ehu and don't have a motor mover. Then I am not convinced that it is that vital to have a premium brand.

Because I go off ehu I have bought a 110aH Varta and I would reccomend it. Before that I had a couple of batterys branded exrider, I think the same ones are also branded Numax and they lasted 6 years before one of them failed.

PS If you put the battery that can't be named into a search engine along with the words customer service you will get a lot hits non of them good.

Our Numax 110 was supplied new by the dealer in January 2011 and we've had no problems with it, so far.

• Like 1

The http://www. batteryfaq. org/ website list makers and brands, so you can tell 'what is what' to some extent at least.

The website is a wealth of information and in my opinion almost the equivalent of a lead acid battery bible. Well worth a read through!

All makes can have 'dud' examples. .. it's how the supplying retailer deals with issues that matters.

Bought an 'Orange' battery from a main dealer years ago and had no problems. It even went totally flat for a couple of weeks and took a few days to re-charge and it is still working a treat. It gets used for my mover every time I go away.

went for Numax, thanks for the replies.

macafee2

I replaced my battery 18 months ago with a Numax XV31MF from Go Batteries www. gobatteries. co. uk and i have been really pleased with it, they were so helpful in making sure i got the correct battery and i would highly recommend them.

If you can get one of the size and capacity that suits, go for Varta, Bosch if it will fit, or a Halfords HLB681 which is a  rebadged 115Ah Yuasa, one of the best brands around.

Banner !

My next caravan battery will be EFB 

31 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

My next caravan battery will be EFB 

Aren't Enhanced Flooded Batteries (EFBs) intended for automotive use rather than leisure use ?

Have a look at this website.  

A&N have been excellent and extremely helpful to Motorhomers on their forums and can repair and fault find any charger, especially European models.   Allan and his team have an invaluable knowledge of batteries/charging technology and has campaigned for proper testing and labelling of leisure batteries for some years. On his advice I purchased  Varta  LFD90 batteries for my previous motorhome and for  our present caravan, The Bosch L5 is the same as the Varta and both are excellent and not expensive.

http://www. aandncaravanservices. co. uk/campaign-for-battery-change. php

Alan

AFAIK EFB are designed for short quick high rate discharge and recharge cycles as in auto stop/start operation rather than slow deep discharge conditions like caravan service batteries.  

They tend to need a higher charge voltage, nearer 15v than the 13. 8 of a caravan charger.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Aren't Enhanced Flooded Batteries (EFBs) intended for automotive use rather than leisure use ?

Just like a standard wet batteries they are made for either car or leisure, but they do it better

heres a link https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-yuasa-100ah-efb-leisure-battery-l36-efb/

They have another advantage over standard flooded batteries, well at least the Bosch and Varta twin do.  They can be used in the habitation area.   

I would always go for VRLA (vapour regulated lead acid) - so typically AGM or MF(Maintenance Free)…  They do "survive" deeper discharge better than flooded LA.

As for Yuasa's, in the Motorcycling world they have had instances of internal failures, with cells shorting etc.  

Edited by Guzzilazz

They are ok but will not accept overcharging so make sure that your charger is set correctly.

We as a company managed to destroy several hundred of them a few years back by not using the correct charging regime - it blew all the valves off and they dried out.

As they were installed in remote telecoms cabins to provide back-up power no one noticed until there was a power outage and the back-up failed.