Sign in to follow this  
Pebble

Dometic Toilet - Sticking Slide.

Has anyone else noticed how difficult the slide can be to operate on Dometic toilets?

Ours has only had 4 months use but I know of two such cases, ours and a friend's, where you need to use two hands to push/pull the handle on the slider. Never had this issue with a Thetford.

Despite what's been discussed on other forums, I've worked out that the issue isn't with the big seals but the two small sealing rubbers around the rods on the handle. Grease these up and all's well until the rubber seals scrape the lubricant off not long after :angry: .

Dealer has said he'll replace the cassette but what's the point, nothing's changed in the design of the slider and the rod rubbers.

Rant over :blush: .

Edited by Pebble

Maybe Dometic need to be informed!

Maybe Dometic need to be informed!

Took your advice and e-mailed Dometic. Fair play, they came back to me in under 48 hours:

"The moving parts are suppose to be lubricated, with silicon grease.

This is not a fault. This is part of the maintenance of the product.

Also, when not in use, the cassette should be removed. The rubber seal between the cassette and bowl can become stuck. As over time the rubbers shrink and swell due to the temps (this is the same with most materials)."

Hmmmm, so every couple of uses I have to grease the slide rods? Never, ever had an issue with any make of Thetford and never had to grease the slide rods once in 12 months when we had one on our boat.

Dometic - never want one again but don't have a lot of choice when the 'van manufacturer fits them.

Re Dometic toilet

Have a brand new Coachman Laser 665, 1st outing and the slide is so stiff my wife cannot close it, will try lubrication but would not have expected problem on 1st outing. 

Old van with Thetford no issues in 3 years so not overly impressed.

Posted (edited)

Despite replacement under warranty and subsequent regular lubrication, ours had got very stiff to operate so time for a major overhaul so:-

Remove cassette from caravan.

Cleaned the inside with Thetford! Cassette Cleaner to make working conditions tolerable.

Opened the slide then rotated anti-clockwise to remove the whole  slide mechanism.

Cleaned and lubricated every part of the slide mechanism with silicone grease https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/FloPlast-Silicone-Grease-100g-Lubricating-Faucets-Valves-Ballcocks-Stopcocks/15012068584?iid=282549103777&rt=nc  and then reassembled.

It now slides very easily and we'll see how long it lasts on our next trip.

Edited by Black Grouse

We have an ancient Thetford, circa 2008, and the instruction manual advises lubrication only with olive oil. So we bought a small bottle of Super U Extra Virgin stuff and pour on a few drops every 3 days whilst away with the caravan. Then operate the slide to spread the lubricant [in practice until the rubber seal rotates because of the 'impact' of the sliding mechanism [sorry, I'm not very technical!].

Steve

4 hours ago, Martin Wasley said:

Re Dometic toilet

Have a brand new Coachman Laser 665, 1st outing and the slide is so stiff my wife cannot close it, will try lubrication but would not have expected problem on 1st outing. 

Old van with Thetford no issues in 3 years so not overly impressed.

When we collected ours it was covered in silicon grease but did wear away pretty quick, the instructions are all slides need regular application real improvement, I know 🤬

My slide was stiff from day one! It had more grease on it than enough. Saying it’s not a fault is balderdash.  A child could never close the slide- it’s a real workout for me let alone a child!! Never had the problem with Thetford so I think there is a real problem with these loos.  I have sprayed mine with silicone spray and it was a little better and I notice that slight downward pressure on the slide handle helps as you push it home- or try to push it home!!

IIRC, and it was 6 years ago, I ended up trimming (hacking lol) the rubber seals to reduce the friction on the rods. Not ideal but it worked. 

Only had the Dometic toilet for 6 months and then sold the 'van and bought a MH with a Thetford .