Sign in to follow this  
sgthakeswell

Review: Cheddar Caravan Club Site

Welcoming well maintained site with excellent friendly wardens. Central location for exploring Somerset and its attractions. Easy walking distance to centre of Cheddar and the Gorge.

Click here to view the UK campsite review

Entirely agree. Really easy to walk ino town/nearest bus stop and very convenient for the north Somerset coast, Bristol/Bath/Wells and north-east Devon. Will stay there again

I agree. Only issues (to some, others won't be bothered) is no mobile phone signal and Wi-Fi gets overloaded at peak times.

Just checking to see if anyone has been here over the past couple of years. Off there with youngest next weekend, and looking for any tips if possible

Stayed at Cheddar CC site in July 2013.

Excellent little site.

Its the only site we have extended our stay over the period originally booked.

Ended up staying 10 days and we RARELY stay anywhere more than 7 days, and more often than not, only 5 days.

Can't help as far as the youngster is concerned though

• Like 1

Stayed at Cheddar CC site in July 2013.

Excellent little site.

Its the only site we have extended our stay over the period originally booked.

Ended up staying 10 days and we RARELY stay anywhere more than 7 days, and more often than not, only 5 days.

Can't help as far as the youngster is concerned though

Thanks for this. Found a nice discount price for visiting the caves & you can take the dog in with you too, which will help as I'm being palmed off with both youngest one & the mutt, while SWMBO and eldest one are gadding about elsewhere. Hence why it will be bliss in a large twin axle & only two of us with the dog!

http://www. cheddargorge. co. uk/caravanclub

Was thinking of going to Burnham or Weston as an alternative, but any little tips with a child/friendly pub nearby would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheddar CC site is one I will never return too. Found it very noisy, from the adjacent football ground.

Good position though for visiting the Mendips and the Somerset levels.

Make sure you get to The City of Wells, and the Cathedral grounds.

Thanks for this. Found a nice discount price for visiting the caves & you can take the dog in with you too, which will help as I'm being palmed off with both youngest one & the mutt, while SWMBO and eldest one are gadding about elsewhere. Hence why it will be bliss in a large twin axle & only two of us with the dog!

http://www. cheddargorge. co. uk/caravanclub

Was thinking of going to Burnham or Weston as an alternative, but any little tips with a child/friendly pub nearby would be greatly appreciated!!

I live in the area so let me know if you have any questions when you get here. The New Inn at Cross is quite nice for a meal and has a play area for kids. It's on the A38 not far from Axbridge.

http://www. newinncross. co. uk

There are quite a few nice pubs in the area to be honest, plenty of choice :-).

Mark.

Must admit we prefer the C&CC site which is a little way out of town, much quieter than the CC site.

• Like 1

The New Inn at Cross is quite nice for a meal and has a play area for kids. It's on the A38 not far from Axbridge.

http://www. newinncross. co. uk

Mark.

Thank you. That's really nice to know but I won't say why.

Wouldn't go back to Cheddar CC site in a hurry. No particular reason apart from noise and it held little appeal. The surrounding area is great esp Cheddar Gorge, the Caves which you can explore and there are other attractions nearby. Burnham? If you must and I suppose for children it has a huge amusement park. The traffic wardens are keen so park carefully,

The beach nearby is vast when the tide is out but not attractive and the tidal river comes in fast - some parked cars have been submerged.

I agree. Only issues (to some, others won't be bothered) is no mobile phone signal and Wi-Fi gets overloaded at peak times.

Must mean O2 . Three, Vodafone and EE have good 3G service but none have 4G.

Wouldn't go back to Cheddar CC site in a hurry. No particular reason apart from noise and it held little appeal. The surrounding area is great esp Cheddar Gorge, the Caves which you can explore and there are other attractions nearby. Burnham? If you must and I suppose for children it has a huge amusement park. The traffic wardens are keen so park carefully,

The beach nearby is vast when the tide is out but not attractive and the tidal river comes in fast - some parked cars have been submerged.

Thanks for this. Noise is a concern. I believe that its a simple walk from the site into town alongside the river.

Burnham - My preference is Weston, so prob head that way.

It is bizarre, as I used to live in the south west (Taunton, Chard, down to Lyme), but never really went to Cheddar!

Maybe it depends where on the site you pitch and when you are there, but we didn't experience any noise.

Chard was a better site though, but nothing really to walk to.

I believe that its a simple walk from the site into town alongside the river.

Two ways into town.

If you leave the site entrance left along the river there is a steep bank to climb to get up to the bridge over the river (or a longer walk in the wrong direction).

Turning right out of the site to the main road means walking along the narrow carriageway (no footpath) for some distance.

The ex-Budgen supermarket is now Sainsbury.

Maybe it depends where on the site you pitch and when you are there, but we didn't experience any noise.

Chard was a better site though, but nothing really to walk to.

Will make sure we pitch away from the football side of things! Never stayed at Chard, despite living there for many a year

It's a short walk from the campsite to the town. Just turn right out of the campsite and then left.

Cheddar CC site is one I will never return too. Found it very noisy, from the adjacent football ground.

Good position though for visiting the Mendips and the Somerset levels.

Make sure you get to The City of Wells, and the Cathedral grounds.

Since we posted the origonal review we have been back for 2 weeks stays every year. The last twice we were pitched next to the football club which, as mentioned, can be noisy. The country and western band they had on were terrible!. We still recomend the site though as the club is only bad a coupleof nights a week if that.

Just arrived on site and pitched as far away from football pitch as possible. Lovely quiet (so far) site. For me, during the TdF, a satellite signal is very important. No probs from pitch 48.

Site has booster signals on each EHU pillar but I prefer a satellite.

• Like 1

Stayed in August, normal cc&MH standards but dodgy entrance of main road. Whilst we were there 3 Vans had accidents turning in

56 minutes ago, davecher said:

Stayed in August, normal cc&MH standards but dodgy entrance of main road. Whilst we were there 3 Vans had accidents turning in

cc&MH ?