Sign in to follow this  
PR1

What A Nightmare Journey!

Just driven back from Start Bay CC site. All was well from the site to Kingsbridge as we were following the double decker bus. But from Kingsbridge to the M5 it was either tractors pulling full loads, cyclists travelling two a breast or little old people driving micras, where they braked for every on coming vehicle, and when they were going forward never exceeded 20mph!

Even the motorway was hairy, with ' annual holiday only' caravanners, belting along at well over 70. One twin wheeler went past me, I was doing 55, as though I was stood still. It was wagging like a dogs tail behind a Volkeswagen.

Glad to be home safe, ready for a depart in the morning!

Get the school holidays over and we can return to normal!

Glass of wine poured and rant over!

Paul.

Sounds like an everyday journey over here, even when it's not school holidays. Glad you made it back OK. Enjoy your vino. :)

Just driven back from Start Bay CC site. All was well from the site to Kingsbridge as we were following the double decker bus. But from Kingsbridge to the M5 it was either tractors pulling full loads, cyclists travelling two a breast or little old people driving micras, where they braked for every on coming vehicle, and when they were going forward never exceeded 20mph!

Even the motorway was hairy, with ' annual holiday only' caravanners, belting along at well over 70. One twin wheeler went past me, I was doing 55, as though I was stood still. It was wagging like a dogs tail behind a Volkeswagen.

Glad to be home safe, ready for a depart in the morning!

Get the school holidays over and we can return to normal!

Glass of wine poured and rant over!

Paul.

Can we expect any different this time of year, and before the school holidays close?

Caravanning, is on the up. After many years of business an leisure air travel, I am more than happy to give the airports and the hassle a miss and many others are thinking same after recent negative media. During a recent trip New Forest and Cornwall (unavoidable due to Grandkids promise), the journey from St Austell to Preston took 11 hrs, Inc 2 stops. Traffic so bad that 384 miles avg was 38 mph. Never in my life have I seen the M5 and M6 so congested with frequent stoppage for no visible reason. The worst Warrington to Haydock, 2 lanes closed for some activity on the hard shoulder. Ie 2 men in high viz sat on the barrier !

PS. Give Cullumpton Services M5 a miss it is a nightmare for caravanners.

Have to agree, son was desperate for toilet so stopped atCCullompton. Not friendly at all.

When we were in Devon last year we drove down to Start Bay and I said I would like to stay there but wouldn't fancy the tow. Even without the caravan behind us it was a difficult drive.

Left hillhead 3 years ago and it took 11 1/2 hours to get home.

Never again.

Edited by MPG

Left hillhead 3 years ago and it took 11 1/2 years to get home.

Never again.

Only another eight and a half years to go :rolleyes:;)

Only another eight and a half years to go :rolleyes:;)

Doh. ...

Post edited. .......

Glad I am retired will be hitching up on Ist Sept when the silly season is over.

We did Dawlish this year, lovely quiet site at Starcross (will leave a review when I get time.) Took 8 1/2hrs to grt down but left 20:30 Friday night and under 4hrs to get home. Night driving or early mornings is the only way to go.

We did Dawlish this year, lovely quiet site at Starcross (will leave a review when I get time.) Took 8 1/2hrs to grt down but left 20:30 Friday night and under 4hrs to get home. Night driving or early mornings is the only way to go.

I did Dawlish myself a few years ago with my daughter and her partner. I set off mid afternoon after I had finished work on a Sunday and was down there in about 5 hours or so with a single stop from Pontefract in West Yorkshire. Coming home it too us just short of 12 hours in mostly heavy rain and constant traffic. I was shattered when I finally got home.

Can we expect any different this time of year, and before the school holidays close?

Caravanning, is on the up. After many years of business an leisure air travel, I am more than happy to give the airports and the hassle a miss and many others are thinking same after recent negative media. During a recent trip New Forest and Cornwall (unavoidable due to Grandkids promise), the journey from St Austell to Preston took 11 hrs, Inc 2 stops. Traffic so bad that 384 miles avg was 38 mph. Never in my life have I seen the M5 and M6 so congested with frequent stoppage for no visible reason. The worst Warrington to Haydock, 2 lanes closed for some activity on the hard shoulder. Ie 2 men in high viz sat on the barrier !

PS. Give Cullumpton Services M5 a miss it is a nightmare for caravanners.

We did Newquay to Scarborough last Friday . ...... 11 hrs with 2 stops. Although tbh the traffic was stopping at every junction back up the M5! Guess thats just the way it is at this time.

I would stop moaning if I were you.

I live in the costa blanca right on the coast in a holiday resort town. Every July/August the town swells to 5 times the size, it is impossible to park or drive or eat out, most are strangers with not a clue about the town, plus the heat.

Needed to go the short trip into Benidorm last week, 1 1/4 hours to do 1/4 mile at one stage, took all day long to get there and back.

temp in the 40s

Glad I am retired will be hitching up on Ist Sept when the silly season is over.

Next trip to Anglesey 15th Sept hopefully silly season over and looking forward to visiting Tyddyn Isaf site as we have heard great recommendations.

Since retirement, we always book our caravan trips outside school holidays, it makes towing the caravan so much less stressful.

Mike.

I would stop moaning if I were you.

I live in the costa blanca right on the coast in a holiday resort town. Every July/August the town swells to 5 times the size, it is impossible to park or drive or eat out, most are strangers with not a clue about the town, plus the heat.

Needed to go the short trip into Benidorm last week, 1 1/4 hours to do 1/4 mile at one stage, took all day long to get there and back.

temp in the 40s

Since retirement, we always book our caravan trips outside school holidays, it makes towing the caravan so much less stressful.

Mike.

Absolutely on both counts. The summer school holidays is the time to stay at home, sort out the garden, do minor caravan repairs and relax, thinking about the times in the past when there was no choice as to when holidays were taken. . Leave the roads (slightly) clearer for those who sadly still have no choice. Their time will come.

I've read and re-read this post and tried to find a way to make it not sound like an "I'm all right Jack" gloat. It's not meant to be. I remember how irritated I used to get with pensioners who clogged up the supermarket on a Saturday morning when that was the only time, as a working person, I could shop, while they had all week. I used to get livid at my managers who always took their holidays during school holiday time leaving those with kids no chance to have time off when the kids were off school.

Sorry, rant over. You know you are getting old when the grumpy old men are all younger than you. .....

Just back from a weekend in Essex. The M25 was shut near me when I left on Friday so I drove through central London to get onto the M11. That was interesting!!!! The whole journey I averaged 12 miles per hour, however that was infinitely faster than my friends who were stuck on the motorway with their engine off for the best part of 3 hours.

Essex was great until it rained and rained, I expected to see Leonardo do Caprio and Kate Winslett standing on the A frame of the van parked next to me

But I had a brilliant weekend and can't wait to do it all again.

Sign in to follow this