Sign in to follow this  
Dan1

Smallest, Sensible Vehicle With Gvw Of More Than 3500Kgs.

I like the bailey retreats. Great designs.

I know about the licence requirement, etc.

But what is the smallest vehicle with a gvw of over 3500kgs, required to tow it? Ideally something that could be used as a daily driver or not look too out of place at the supermarket.

Even better would be a day van type vehicle?

Sensible price ranging 10k or less.

I have little experience in commercial vehicles so I am hoping on drawing on the experience or advice of others on here.

Thanks!

One of the larger transits or sprinter vans.

Hi,I know of someone who bought an ex-council 17 seat Transit and took out all the extra seats,I'm sure it's over 3500kg gross as he has to take it to a specific garage each year for MOT test.

If I remember right it cost him about £7k 5 years old with only 25k miles on the clock.

I'm sure he bought at an auction advertised in Exchange and Mart.

Duncan

Transit drop side ;)

Merc sprinters come in 3, 3. 5 and 5tonne. Not sure if that's carrying capacity or GVW though.

http://www. caravantimes. co. uk/news/makes/bailey/retreat/bailey-retreat-pictures-weights-and-details-revealed-$21381026. htm

Meanwhile the overall MTPLM weight of 2,163kg is well above what you would normally expect to safely tow with a normal family car.

But as Bailey has explained, the weight is more or less irrelevant, as this twin-axle model is meant to be sited professionally and only moved every year or so.

Hi,I know of someone who bought an ex-council 17 seat Transit and took out all the extra seats,I'm sure it's over 3500kg gross as he has to take it to a specific garage each year for MOT test.

If I remember right it cost him about £7k 5 years old with only 25k miles on the clock.

I'm sure he bought at an auction advertised in Exchange and Mart.

Duncan

I think anything over 8 seats needs a specific MOT . It was when I had one .

Last time I looked the only Transits that fitted was a LWB Hi top Jumbo transit and a tipper .

you will need to consider Commercial insurance and Tachos

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I thought the Retreats, whist having wheels, were not actualy meant to be towed, but were more semi-static 'vans.

Al

IMO if you want a big caravan and choose a different way it is towed a 5th wheel trailer under 3500kg and up to 40ft can be towed by any weight pickup type vehicle .

Dave

A Transit will be no good as they are under 3. 5 Ton GVW and MOT Class 7 hence different MOT Station, some of the Sprinter Vans and the later Renault Master/Movano, will be ok but will need to be the Twin Rear Wheel variety, but check the vehicle plate to see if it has been down plated, some get downplated to 3. 5 ton.

If its for your personnel use ie not for hire or reward you will be excempt from Tachograph rules.