Sign in to follow this  
OLD NICK

Away For The Winter.

Wish we were going now, but sadly it will be January before we hit the Costa's as SWMBO insist's were home for Chrimbo :( .

Then its 10 weeks of sunshine :D :D Yippee can't wait

Same here. I thought our two and a half months trip was exciting - until I read about the others!

Its no use waiting until January MW. We will have worn the sun out by then. :D:D

Its no use waiting until January MW. We will have worn the sun out by then. :D:D

By January I'll be grateful for whatever you've left

Arrived this evening after a lovely trip down. We really notice the absence of traffic on the Spanish roads.

We have seen as much traffic in 650miles as we would have seen between brighton & Portsmouth.

about 50 mls. Completely hassle free driving.

Arrived to find that its a local fiesta today & all of the shops are shut. Including the supermarkets.

So its off to the local bar for a drink & a bite to eat. Only to find that tonight its Barcelona playing Real Madrid.

All the Spanish bars are draped in the colours of both teams. Some with only 1 teams colours we will stay clear

of them in case their team loses.

Its great watching the whole family in their teams colours from grandma down to the little toddlers all having a great time

with no animosity whatsoever. The best the bar owner could come up with was this afternoons paella microwaved.

As there is no cooking when the match is on.

It tasted pretty good to us especially when he sent over 2 drinks in the way of an apology.

Plus 2 enormous brandys when we had finished.(is,nt life a bitch )

So we will get settled in over the next few days,then its Pull up the ladder Jack I,m aboard. :D;):P

Should

Arrived this evening after a lovely trip down. We really notice the absence of traffic on the Spanish roads.

We have seen as much traffic in 650miles as we would have seen between brighton & Portsmouth.

about 50 mls. Completely hassle free driving.

Arrived to find that its a local fiesta today & all of the shops are shut. Including the supermarkets.

So its off to the local bar for a drink & a bite to eat. Only to find that tonight its Barcelona playing Real Madrid.

All the Spanish bars are draped in the colours of both teams. Some with only 1 teams colours we will stay clear

of them in case their team loses.

Its great watching the whole family in their teams colours from grandma down to the little toddlers all having a great time

with no animosity whatsoever. The best the bar owner could come up with was this afternoons paella microwaved.

As there is no cooking when the match is on.

It tasted pretty good to us especially when he sent over 2 drinks in the way of an apology.

Plus 2 enormous brandys when we had finished.(is,nt life a bitch )

So we will get settled in over the next few days,then its Pull up the ladder Jack I,m aboard. :D;):P

Should have said atletico Madrid not real Madrid. ( stupid foreigner) :D

Well they forecast thunderstorms,& they were right. Just arrived back from the bar last night & the heavens

opened. Poured down virtually all night. At least the mugginess has gone now,its lovely & refreshing.

The downside is of course its now cooler. Temperature dropped to 28C today.

We will just have to grin & bear it though. :D:D

We're on the final countdown for our ferry on the 8th, then it's Portugal until next April, or so.

It's hard going but someone has to do it :D

Who called it Sunny Spain?. We have just had 2 days of torrential rain. However on the plus side the

reservoirs are virtually full so no chance of water shortages.

Now we have the sunshine 30C & a nice breeze,but walking along the front this morning I noticed

that the red warning flags are flying on the beaches & the waves are pretty big still.

All nicely settled in now for the winter,all the hard work done. So I think I will stroll down to the bar

for an ice cold beer. :D;):P

Roll on mid-November!

Got the NEC show to attend first, then it's book ferry/chunnel/whatever, pack and we're following you Nick :D

Now we have the weather we travelled all this way for. Had to shelter in the bar yesterday afternoon when it

hit 35C, I am getting back into the siesta routine. Take the dog for his 2nd walk of the day on the beach.

Then its back for a bit of light lunch followed by a good brisk lie down on the sunbed. usually about an hour.

The boss wakes me with a glass of iced water in hand. Then I am ready for whatever the rest of the day can throw

at me.(usually a dip in the pool ) God I love this retirement lark. Just wish I had done it when I was younger. :D;):P

Here in Blighty the temperature has plummeted and the rain has returned. Green with envy

John you have the answer sitting on your drive. :D:D

Now we have the weather we travelled all this way for. Had to shelter in the bar yesterday afternoon when it

hit 35C, I am getting back into the siesta routine. Take the dog for his 2nd walk of the day on the beach.

Then its back for a bit of light lunch followed by a good brisk lie down on the sunbed. usually about an hour.

The boss wakes me with a glass of iced water in hand. Then I am ready for whatever the rest of the day can throw

at me.(usually a dip in the pool ) God I love this retirement lark. Just wish I had done it when I was younger. :D;):P

Hi Nick, I'd retire today if I could, only 16 years to go and counting :lol: PS glad your now getting the weather, enjoy. C

Don't wish your life away young Walton. Old age comes soon enough.

Mind you it still comes quicker than getting a pint out of you. :D:D :D ;)

Hi Nick

I will be on the Pompey to Santander Ferry on Oct 20th then down to Puerto de Mazzerone for the winter, retirement is just wunnerful !

enjoy your stay.

Hi Nick

I will be on the Pompey to Santander Ferry on Oct 20th then down to Puerto de Mazzerone for the winter, retirement is just wunnerful !

enjoy your stay.

Am doing. Have a safe journey down Peter.

Retiring next year, can't wait. First winter will be in Australia-but not taking the caravan! :rolleyes:

Phew looking at the forecast for the UK this weekend we appear to have just got out in time.

ah well back to the sunbed. :D;):D

For all of you who are undecided about coming to the sunshine for the winter.

Woke up to brilliant sunshine took the dog for a walk along the beach.( he is in dog paradise )

Stopped at the café for my morning coffee. 20 yds from the med. After a chat with other brits strolled

back & now undecided what to do today. Should I wash the car "No its too hot" Anyway the boss says she wants it

to do some shopping. Phew. Think that I will go for a swim before it gets too hot.

Its just one decision after another,no wonder I have a headache ( Absolutely nothing to do with the booze consumed

at the party last night ) A lady celebrating reaching her 70th birthday. These youngsters love a party.

Yes have decided,a swim it is. Followed by a good brisk lie down on the sunbed.

And some of think its all fun,its just none stop go go go. ;):D:D

Finding your own spot of paradise is what life is all about. Crack on and carrying on living the dream!

Hope I'm doing same in my "upper-middle age years" ;)

Well after spending another week in temperatures of 30C + I can assure you its not all fun.

Having to run the aircon all night to keep the boss happy. Plus having to keep my beer consumption

down each evening,because she says that if I have too much I will be snoring all night.( rubbish )

What is it with these women? Always looking for problems. I explained that if she drank the same amount

as me she would,nt notice my occasional snore. That went down like a lead balloon.

However I am getting brownie points by pointing out the UK forecast every couple of days & reminding her

that if she did,nt have such a forward thinking husband,she could be stuck in the UK with the autumn weather,

& the winter still to come.

However enough of my trials & tribulations I will just make the best of it as us true brits do,with a steadfastness

to face whatever problems that come my way.

Tomorrow I will buy some more suncream & suffer in silence.

Stiff upper lip & all that. ( isn't caravanning fun ) :D:D;)

Deep depression spreading across the UK caused by seasonal highs in Spain

John.-----------Am I boverred?? :D:D;)

John.-----------Am I boverred?? :D:D;)

No, bet you are laughing though. Just to cheer us up though it has been very warm and sunny here in Sussex today, with a number of people catching a late swim.

Our son & daughter flew out on Friday for a long weekend,left yesterday. Rang us when they got back to Brighton

said the weather was glorious in Brighton,but they could,nt believe how hot it had been here with temperatures of

33C + it is exceptional for September I would normally expect about 25C.

Am I complaining? The hell I am as they say nowadays. Bring it on. :D:D:D