Would You Buy A Van With....

shinners

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beagler

I would personally not buy a caravan I had not seen and inspected including a comprehensive damp check. I appreciate it may be attractively priced but it can end up costing a great deal to repair.

My main concern is that it is CRiS registered, if it has no history might not be the end of the world as long as you factor in a full service cost if you buy it, check the age of the tyres and factor in the cost of new ones if they are approaching five years old and find out how long it is since it moved, do a thorough inspection yourself for damp and check that all appliances can be seen working - in both electric and gas operation.

If you can view it at the address on the CRiS doc and confirm the name of the owner, it may be that they are just not as organised as the rest of us - if this seems to be the case bear in mind that you may need to spend 500-1000 bringing everything up to scratch.

Some people are obsessed with damp meters, you can buy one if you want but for the most part they are a complete waste of time, use your eyes/nose/finger meter instead

Hi

Now this I can relate to. I did exactly that - I didn't see it first, I committed to the buy it now price on Ebay - I even rang them up and had a fairly long conversation.

DON'T DO IT"!!!!!!!

However cheap it is, however beautiful you think it is, however plausible they seem - see it, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Don't just look at the decor. If you don't know enough about the potential problems, or how everything should work take someone with you who will!

Then listen to everyone on here - they are an absolute mine of info. Do the research, get the information and basic knowledge before you do anything major. Believe me - however much you want this van there will be others.

Don't buy unseen - please! They told me they had had mine serviced each year - bunkum - as the engineer quickly pointed out. I shouldn't have even towed 150 miles home! :)

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

What's the listing number for the van off eBay. .. If it looks to good to be true. .. It normally is. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

we made a major mistake and let my heart rule my head,we bought a caravan a few years ago and it was lovely and so cheap. .....I jumped at it without really checking it out because I thought id miss out if I waited,i spent a fortune on a van which was rotten from water ingress . but was unseen, the owner knew this,as he had repaired it himself with cheap sealant but kept quiet, I found out later to my cost. it was written off as it would be too expensive to be repaired, I was completely gutted as we had no comeback it was "bought as seen", I learned the hard way,and would never do that again,we had saved for months for a van and lost out big time,my advice,get it checked out thoroughly and check the relevant paperwork service history,etc, if theres none . .walk away .

sorry to seem so negative,but I feel very strongly about this,id hate for anyone to go through what we did,i felt sick and lost sleep over my own stupidity and haste, if its too good to be true. ..it flaming well is !!

Eve

Edited by evelynbrown

better to keep quiet and be thought a fool,than open ones mouth and remove all doubt :unsure:

we made a major mistake and let my heart rule my head,we bought a caravan a few years ago and it was lovely and so cheap. .....I jumped at it without really checking it out because I thought id miss out if I waited,i spent a fortune on a van which was rotten from water ingress . but was unseen, the owner knew this,as he had repaired it himself with cheap sealant but kept quiet, I found out later to my cost. it was written off as it would be too expensive to be repaired, I was completely gutted as we had no comeback it was "bought as seen", I learned the hard way,and would never do that again,we had saved for months for a van and lost out big time,my advice,get it checked out thoroughly and check the relevant paperwork service history,etc, if theres none . .walk away .

sorry to seem so negative,but I feel very strongly about this,id hate for anyone to go through what we did,i felt sick and lost sleep over my own stupidity and haste, if its too good to be true. ..it flaming well is !!

Eve

Poor you but I did it too! Never worth it!

T00ts

My main concern is that it is CRiS registered, if it has no history might not be the end of the world as long as you factor in a full service cost if you buy it, check the age of the tyres and factor in the cost of new ones if they are approaching five years old and find out how long it is since it moved, do a thorough inspection yourself for damp and check that all appliances can be seen working - in both electric and gas operation.

If you can view it at the address on the CRiS doc and confirm the name of the owner, it may be that they are just not as organised as the rest of us - if this seems to be the case bear in mind that you may need to spend 500-1000 bringing everything up to scratch.

Some people are obsessed with damp meters, you can buy one if you want but for the most part they are a complete waste of time, use your eyes/nose/finger meter instead

totally agree

better to keep quiet and be thought a fool,than open ones mouth and remove all doubt :unsure:

Poor you but I did it too! Never worth it!

thanks toots, im sorry this happened to you too, ,its such a shame there are people offloading their"problem vans" without being honest, it happens a lot,and I hate hearing that people are being taken for a ride by unscrupulous sellers,fair enough. im sure that there are some who genuinely are not aware of any problems or faults, but there are some like myself,who was a total novice at caravan buying,and saw a bargain, they see us coming I think,but to be fair,i take the blame because I was too impatient and jumped in. ..as I said, lesson learned,

Eve

It's an awful lot of money to pay if there is a problem. Wait for others with much more knowledge than me. Others will know the model and any recurring faults. I know it's a killer to have to be patient but hang in there.

thanks toots, im sorry this happened to you too, ,its such a shame there are people offloading their"problem vans" without being honest, it happens a lot,and I hate hearing that people are being taken for a ride by unscrupulous sellers,fair enough. im sure that there are some who genuinely are not aware of any problems or faults, but there are some like myself,who was a total novice at caravan buying,and saw a bargain, they see us coming I think,but to be fair,i take the blame because I was too impatient and jumped in. ..as I said, lesson learned,

Eve

Oh yes that sums me up exactly too. Never again - I'm threatening to advertise coach seats to CT members if I go to buy another one, so they can all check it out for me. :)

T00ts

that's a lot of money to be parting with without having a proper look . if your spending that amount, my advice is to go to a dealer, inspect every thing, they wont mind you taking your time,its a huge investment,you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it at the very least, best of luck whatever you decide

regards Eve

that's a lot of money to be parting with without having a proper look . if your spending that amount, my advice is to go to a dealer, inspect every thing, they wont mind you taking your time,its a huge investment,you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it at the very least, best of luck whatever you decide

regards Eve

Absolutely agree!

T00ts

no service history?

All paperwork is present, its listed on ebay so I haven't actually seen it.

My gut says be wary but its the van we want

NO NO NO, a thousand times NO. Even if the service record is not stamped there would/should be receipts for the work carried out.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

NO NO NO, a thousand times NO. Even if the service record is not stamped there would/should be receipts for the work carried out.

totally agree with you

totally agree with you

+1

T00ts

As regards buying a car without test driving or seeing, I would, and indeed I have. That was 6 years ago. I still have it and its cost me nothing other than routine servicing. I can see the difficulty, its a nice van at a decent price, with lots of extras chucked in, and its the model/layout you want, but you are in Ireland, the van isnt. Consider this, get one of these mobile service techs to see it on your behalf and give it a once over on your behalf. It should not cost too much. He/she will be able to give you an idea of whether its worth pursuing. In your shoes that is probably what I would do.

As regards buying a car without test driving or seeing, I would, and indeed I have. That was 6 years ago. I still have it and its cost me nothing other than routine servicing. I can see the difficulty, its a nice van at a decent price, with lots of extras chucked in, and its the model/layout you want, but you are in Ireland, the van isnt. Consider this, get one of these mobile service techs to see it on your behalf and give it a once over on your behalf. It should not cost too much. He/she will be able to give you an idea of whether its worth pursuing. In your shoes that is probably what I would do.

:goodpost:

T00ts

Avoid this caravan, if it has been serviced annually you would still have 2 years water ingression warranty on this van but with NO SERVICE HISTORY YOU HAVE NO COMEBACK .

Look elsewhere as there are better vans at the same money with service history and the balance of there warranty still intact

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2023 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Audi Q5 TFSI-e  S-Line

Consider this, get one of these mobile service techs to see it on your behalf and give it a once over on your behalf. It should not cost too much. He/she will be able to give you an idea of whether its worth pursuing. In your shoes that is probably what I would do.

Didn't realise you were in Ireland, I think the idea to get a mobile engineer to check it out would be money well spent, if he says it looks sound then factor in the cost of a new leisure battery (says in the description they often leave it flat) , new tyres, a full service, make your offer based on that. Don't get taken in by the fact they are "including" loads of extras as they will be worth next to nothing if they sell them separately! If you've been keeping your eye on the market you'll know that a great deal of vans have been for sale for quite a while as there aren't too many people making large luxury purchases out there at the moment.

We just got 1500 off the asking price of the one we've just bought so don't be afraid to view and wave the cash - you, never know how much they need the money

I notice that the seller has bought through eBay an Heki interior frame £160 and a roll of fibre glass matting .

I would be checking the roof thoroughly if you decide to go and inspect.

But then again I would leave well alone their are plenty of vans around with full service history and warranties.

Edited by Dougb

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

I notice that the seller has bought through eBay an Heki interior frame £160 and a roll of fibre glass matting .

I would be checking the roof thoroughly if you decide to go and inspect.

But then again I would leave alone

Wow - now that's detective work - I would never have thought of that! That really does ring alarm bells. :)

T00ts

The alarm bells were ringing before I checked his purchase history, they are in melt down now, I notice that it is still an active listing, I would leave it like that, don't walk away, run!!!!!!!

There's a number of people who are judging this caravan without seeing it and telling you to walk away but you might be missing out on the caravan for you. I've got a 2009 van and I will probably need to replace the inner frame on one of the rooflights soon, so that's no big deal.

However, before committing to buy you most definitely need to see it for yourself, and if you are new to caravanning you need to take someone with you who knows the ropes.

This is such an excellent forum :goodpost:

Im gonna leave this one be.

It could be a gem in the rough, but we don't know a Heki from an Alko! :blush:

Thanks you all so so much for your input, it has been invaluable especially P. I. dougb :)

There is a van (minus all the accessories) for sale for in and around the same price from a dealer with a 3 year warranty and i think perhaps its money well spent.

Again thanks for all the help, its so good when you don't know anything!

Sinead

Edited by shinners