Review: Bath Chew Valley Caravan Park

Townie

Peaceful, Well maintained, Well laid out, Brilliant staff. Arrive on site, and they hitch your van to a mini tractor and park it for you. You drive to your van, unload and park your car in the car park (about 60 metres max)

Click here to view the UK campsite review

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

We've been back from Chew Valley for 5 days now - did you notice the mouldy shower curtains and the filthy, brown bristle loo brushes? :o

Other than that, a very nice, well presented, peaceful site :) .

Would go back again but in high season, the minimum length of stay to pre-book in advance is 7 nights. As we've only got 6 nights available to us next August, this "rule" means we can't pre-book :angry: .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Hi Pebble, didn't use the showers, as we always use the caravan shower. We were there from 7-14th August, so we must have seen each other, although I was "confined to caravan" from12th onwards due to a gout attack.

Mike.

Must have bumped into each other at some time. We were on pitch 46. Which one were you on? Is your Trojan black by any chance as we did see you leaving the site one day when we were walking our dog?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

• 8 years later...

The Bath Chew Valley site is very good, indeed. 
Well laid out site and  extremely well kept. The facilities are first class and very clean.

It’s not too large and has an ‘intimate’ feel.

The site wardens are very friendly.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the site to anyone who wants a peaceful few days away.

Garry

You are posting on a thread that is Eight  years old! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The site is probably older but all reviews are worthwhile. 

Thank you. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Garry

You are posting on a thread that is Eight  years old! 

Andy,

Yes, I know - but I felt that an up to date review might be useful.

Fair enough! 

We've looked at this quite often but always thought the rules sound a bit rammed down your throat. We're v well behaved but it seems a bit..... Hard to describe. Tell me otherwise?!

We used the site once, some 11 years ago, and would not return.

Did not like their insistence on towing the van to the pitch, and pitching it for you, and there was a difficult to define, but definitely felt by all 4 of us, odd feeling which may heave been lots of rules.

It was added to our list of “popular” sites that turned out to be a disappointment.

Been there once last year. The “We tow you to and from your pitch” set up does seem odd, but they State it’s to prevent those not adept at reversing from chewing up the grass (which seems reasonable) 

Would I go again? Most certainly

9 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

We've looked at this quite often but always thought the rules sound a bit rammed down your throat. We're v well behaved but it seems a bit..... Hard to describe. Tell me otherwise?!

We were at Bath Chew Valley this last week (early May 2022) and, in my very humble opinion, it is one of the best kept sites that we have visited.

Towing to / from your pitch isn’t a problem and, as they say, it prevents the grass being chewed up by those of us (like me) who can’t reverse the Caravan.

Yes, there are rules - but they are the same as on most other sites. What is different is that the rules are enforced - although there was no need for any enforcement while we were there.

who we go again ? Absolutely!

Sounds good; we like rules tbh and they're only any good if applied . Thank you-we will try it at some point! 

Tow car must be parked in the car park and not on your pitch and caravan parked for you.....wouldn't work for me!

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

35 minutes ago, WilliamJames said:

Tow car must be parked in the car park and not on your pitch and caravan parked for you.....wouldn't work for me!

Why not? 

We visited this site several years ago. SOME of the staff were "lacking in grey matter". We got back to the site at around 1 am and found that all of the car parks were full due to other caravanners parking their tow cars too far from each other. I ended up parking in front of a door, but not so tight as to prevent it from being used. I got up early, (7am) the following morning in order to check for a "proper" space to park in. One of the staff said "You shouldn't park there".  

"I know, but we got back late and all the spaces were full thanks to all the others not parking close enough to each other."

"I realise that, but you shouldn't park there".

"Where SHOULD I have parked then?"

"In the car park."

"But the car park was full due to inconsiderate parking."

"I know, but you shouldn't park by that door." 

"Should I have parked on the road outside?"

"You are not allowed to park on the road outside, you should have parked in the car park."

"I couldn't, it was full".

Realising that I was talking to somebody who was totally lacking in common sense, I moved our car into a recently vacated space.

"You should have parked there last night"

"I couldn't, the driver just going through the gate was parked there."

"I realise that, but you shouldn't have parked by that door."

I walked away.

Apart from that incident, it was a very nice site.

Sounds like an episode of Monty Python :lol:

4 hours ago, Townie said:

We visited this site several years ago. SOME of the staff were "lacking in grey matter". We got back to the site at around 1 am and found that all of the car parks were full due to other caravanners parking their tow cars too far from each other. I ended up parking in front of a door, but not so tight as to prevent it from being used. I got up early, (7am) the following morning in order to check for a "proper" space to park in. One of the staff said "You shouldn't park there".  

"I know, but we got back late and all the spaces were full thanks to all the others not parking close enough to each other."

"I realise that, but you shouldn't park there".

"Where SHOULD I have parked then?"

"In the car park."

"But the car park was full due to inconsiderate parking."

"Should I have parked on the road outside?"

"You are not allowed to park on the road outside, you should have parked in the car park."

"I couldn't, it was full".

Realising that I was talking to somebody who was totally lacking in common sense, I moved our car into a recently vacated space.

"You should have parked there last night"

"I couldn't, the driver just going through the gate was parked there."

"I realise that, but you shouldn't have parked by that door."

I walked away.

Apart from that incident, it was a very nice site.

Deadheads... they are on the rise! 🙄

13 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Deadheads... they are on the rise! 🙄

And they walk among us :(

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Why not? 

Because I deem I have paid for a private parking spot convenient to where my caravan is pitched especially at £30+/night.

Not sure of insurance position if they are moving my caravan.

Don't want possible grease contamination of my caravan hitch.

I am the world's best caravan reverser so I don't want someone less skilled than me touching my caravan :lol:

Edited by WilliamJames

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

I assume you are happy to use a designated car park when you stay in a hotel rather than parking your car alongside your room ??

As for being “the worlds best caravan reverser” That’s a very arrogant claim. The staff at this site move many (probably 20+) caravans just about every day of the year at the same location, how many times a year do you “expertly” reverse yours? Who do you think is likely to bebthe more competent?

I must admit that I do wonder what they think motor movers are for. Surely they only need tow non-mover fitted vans onto site, that would free up staff time. 

Looking on Google Earth satellite view, (imagery April 2020) it looks like most if not all pitches are hard standing anyway so what grass damage are they concerned about?

It does strike me that if they insist on parking in the car park then they should have sufficient marked bays for folk to park in...Perhaps even numbered, one per pitch to avoid the Monty Pythonesque arguements (was it the full half hour?) in the morning. They could then let the 'Rules is Rules' brigade 'police' (with a small 'p') the parking to satisfy their rules. Afterall, they have a record of who each car belongs to and on which pitch they need to go to 'advise' them.

Trevor.

1 minute ago, reluctant said:

I must admit that I do wonder what they think motor movers are for. Surely they only need tow non-mover fitted vans onto site, that would free up staff time. 

Looking on Google Earth satellite view, (imagery April 2020) it looks like most if not all pitches are hard standing anyway so what grass damage are they concerned about?

It does strike me that if they insist on parking in the car park then they should have sufficient marked bays for folk to park in...Perhaps even numbered, one per pitch to avoid the Monty Pythonesque arguements (was it the full half hour?) in the morning. They could then let the 'Rules is Rules' brigade 'police' (with a small 'p') the parking to satisfy their rules. Afterall, they have a record of who each car belongs to and on which pitch they need to go to 'advise' them.

Sorry to leap into this conversation for the 4th time - but having just visited the site, I must point a couple of things out.

1. The grass that they are worried about is the grass that surrounds the hard standing pitches and what adds to the beauty of the site. The grass is very well maintained and would only take one poor attempt at reversing to leave an unsightly rut.

2. The car park does not have marked bays but is plenty big enough. They leave it up to you to park your car ‘sensibly’.

3.  Some of the discussion seems to imply that the site is policed to a ‘Colditz standard’. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you go about your daily life with respect to your fellow caravaners then you won’t have a problem.

For the record, I am not in any way affiliated to this site - I just enjoy a nice site when I find one. If others are put off visiting by what they perceive as too many rules then this will leave more pitch availability for me when I want to return.

are you allowed to choose your pitch or are they allocated?