Sign in to follow this  
den123

Wifi Signal

on some sites there are free wifi but only near the office how can i amplify the signal strengh to the caravan

You can get signal boosters, but they need to be near enough to the signal to pick it up, if you see what I mean. Net terribly practical to leave it in a roadway. Sometimes just moving round the van, rotating the laptop/tablet/whatever can improve it enough to be workable. I have heard of people making reflectors out of Pringles tubes but I haven't ever tried that.

I have just installed the iBoost Pro from motorhomewifi. As a BT broadband customer I can pick up access to BT Fon hotspots outside the campsite. If none available then I can choose to pay for access at the site but know I will have a good signal and am not limited to a specific number of devices.

It works great, but isn't cheap. Mifi is cheaper but many of the sites I visit have wifi with no 3G coverage.

Mark.

do these work though as anyone tryed these

how far will they work from is there any garantees that they will work

I am currently in France, about 200m from the wifi hotspot on the site.

My laptop / phone can't see the wifi signal at all from here.

I have a USB plate antenna, like this: http://www. motorhomewifi. com/product/high-power-12dbi-directional-panel-suction-bracket-v2/

But bought from eBay for about £40. It is suction mounted on top of the van, pointing at the hotspot.

It is connected to an old EeePc netbook, configured as a router to create my own wifi hotspot. My phone / laptop / iPad etc then connect to that.

I also have a wifi Internet radio in the van, connected to my hotspot, and am currently listening to Radio 2 through it, and sending this post!

Do yes, they work well!! :)

Obviously you could skip the router bit and just connect the USB antenna to your laptop.