Caravan Jacks Used As Levellers?

Whilst investigating buying an ALKO caravan jack I noticed the following comment on Waundbys web site.

“Designed to kit AL-KO chassis manufactured after 1980 with max weight up to 1600 Kg. Can also be used as an aid to levellingâ€

Has anyone got experience of using a caravan jack as a levelling device as to me the idea sounds a bit suspect unless of course you are meant to chock up the wheels and then remove the jack.

If you can use one does anyone want to buy a Bulldog caravan leveller!

Desperado

Guest john1215

They might be saying that you could jack up the van then put blocks under the wheel then let it down again - which is what I assume you thought too, seems a lot of work to me.

john1215

There is a wheel clamp on the market called rise and clamp. First you clamp it to the wheel and then turn a socket with a socket set and it lifts the wheel up quiete high. I have never tried it myself as the thought of the van blowing or rocking and it falling over doesn't fill me with joy! So the idea is there bt to what extent it would work I don't know. I guess when you have the corner steadies down it will be ok to use. But as with anything being jacked up, it's unsafe in my eyes!

A fire service saying that is drummed into everyone is "pack as you jack"

Then if the jack collapses it remains on the packing. :)

5539[/snapback]

VERY good advice. With no packing, if the jack slips, at best it punches a hole the van's floor; at worst it kills someone!

In reply to youngjimmys post about the Rise and Clamp wheel clamp, I have one of those, and it does say you can use the rise facility to help level the van, however, it dosent work on a grass pitch!!!!!! all that happens is as you screw the riser up, it presses the base into the grass!!! I guess you must have to put a board under the central part first, but didnt go that far, just pulled the van up on ramps withthe car. I would never rely on just the rise and clamp anyway, it woul dbe only sensible to pack under the wheel as well.

In reply to youngjimmys post about the Rise and Clamp wheel clamp, I have one of those, and it does say you can use the rise facility to help level the van, however, it dosent work on a grass pitch!!!!!! all that happens is as you screw the riser up, it presses the base into the grass!!! I guess you must have to put a board under the central part first, but didnt go that far, just pulled the van up on ramps withthe car. I would never rely on just the rise and clamp anyway, it woul dbe only sensible to pack under the wheel as well.

5592[/snapback]

hi brecon

I too have one, all i do is put a plastic chopping board under it when on grass never had any trouble since

bill

Edited by Moderator - TXT messaging removed for full text

Edited by TonyW

It is always best to have the caravan attached to the car when jacking up otherwise the caravan can turn, causing the jack to topple over once the wheel is lifted off the ground.

E. G. The caravan will pivot on the one wheel left as the jockey wheel will just turn to one side

It is always best to have the caravan attached to the car when jacking up otherwise the caravan can turn, causing the jack to topple over once the wheel is lifted off the ground.

E. G. The caravan will pivot on the one wheel left as the jockey wheel will just turn to one side

5628[/snapback]

. ....or chock the other wheel.

Would chocking the other wheel have any effect though? The caravan may still pivot on that wheel even though it is chocked?

john1215

5723[/snapback]

The Alko jack has been modified and now has an aluminium locating lug. The recommendation from Alko is only to use it when attached to the towing vehicle and chock the opposite side. Without this it can rotate about the opposite wheel - no fun at all.

We have used Pyramid Chock-Ramps, the curved levelling ramp and are now using a Dixon-Bate leveller. Like the idea of the Bulldog but it's very big and heavy. The DB is of a reasonable size and apppears to work well.

Mike