Hi all,

We are very new to caravaning, and I wondered whether anyone had any toughts on an issue we have with our motor mover.

We recently acquired a cravan, and had a brand new motor mover fitted.

Whilst on holiday in Ireland, we camped on a pitch which wasn't quite level. To remedy this, we put a chock under one of the caravan wheels, and tried to push the caravan onto the chock.

However, we weren't strong enough, so decided to use the motor mover, to move the van no more than 3 inches higher on one side onto the chock.

This we did successfully, and then put the hand brake on.

When I came to take the motor mover off the wheels though, the whole caravan seem to twist with a jolt. The caravan slid three inches back down the chock, and now it seems that the spindle which travels right through the motor mover is bent, or twisted in some way, meaning that we can no longer use it!

I obviously need to get it fixed, but wondered whether we should not have tried to use the motor mover to put the caravan on the chock, or if we did something else incorrectly to cause this problem.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from some of you wise people on this forum - many thanks in advance!

No - how do we do that Conq? We are soo new to this!

No - how do we do that Conq? We are soo new to this!

When you put the van onto the leveller you should put something under the wheel to stop it rolling off the leveller again. The handbrake on the van won't hold it.

Thank you Conq - this could avoid lots of future problems!

When you put the van onto the leveller you should put something under the wheel to stop it rolling off the leveller again. The handbrake on the van won't hold it.

Another reason I use cut lengths of decking board as ramps once the van is on the top board (dependent on how many you have to use to level up) it's flat so no slipping back down the ramp.

Edited by dave11a

I'm afraid we never take the mover off on the basis that it is very good at stopping the caravan from moving!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You could be a cheapskate and take a couple of house bricks with you or you could get a couple of these

http://www. johnscross. co. uk/products/caravan-wheel-chock. html?gclid=CMW9mfOP1bgCFaKWtAodYwYASA

Stick them behind the wheels on the downhill side, before disengaging the mover. I use three chocks for safety, and I don't leave the handbrake on, but once the steadies are down the van will not roll away.

Or one of these, which is a combined leveller and wheel chock.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Pyramid-caravan-motorhome-chockmaster-wheel-ramp-chock-leveller-B4738-/271015586124

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

I guess what happened is that the chock was infront of the wheel so even though the handbrake was on, when you removed the motormover the rearwards force on that wheel would activate the reversing mechansim in the brake. This would release the brake on that side only causing the effect you described. As mentioned in the above posts its always wise to level up with the caravan attached to the towing vehicle first, then chock the wheels, particularly if you are facing uphill.

You can level up just by using the mover, but be prepared for the van to swing a little as it climbs - the other wheel has less to travel so will slightly overtake the one going up the leveller. Once you are at the right level you can use the mover to swing the van back.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

Hi Vintage. I can't see that you did anything to damage the mover. People use them for levelling routinely. The insufficient chocking wouldn't have hurt it.

Hi Vintage. I can't see that you did anything to damage the mover. People use them for levelling routinely. The insufficient chocking wouldn't have hurt it.

Depends on the mover?

Thanks for all the replies - very much appreciated. So I now have a brand new motor mover that doesn't work! I suppose the question is am I at fault, and should therefore pay for the repair, or should I ask the dealer to repair it under guaruntee?

No-one at the dealer gave us any tuition on how to use it, and neither did we get any instructions!

Just on another note, I am a reasonably fit 48 year old, and putting the motor mover on takes all my strength and weight - Mrs Vintage would never manage to use it in a million years - aren't these devices meant to help those who have less strength?

Thanks for all the replies - very much appreciated. So I now have a brand new motor mover that doesn't work! I suppose the question is am I at fault, and should therefore pay for the repair, or should I ask the dealer to repair it under guaruntee?

No-one at the dealer gave us any tuition on how to use it, and neither did we get any instructions!

Just on another note, I am a reasonably fit 48 year old, and putting the motor mover on takes all my strength and weight - Mrs Vintage would never manage to use it in a million years - aren't these devices meant to help those who have less strength?

If it's Powrtouch - they will come out and fix it as their guarantee covers parts and labour for 5 years. I've had them out a couple of times and they've never quibbled on anything.

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Thanks Janet - I will have a look as I'm not sure what make it is!

I wonder if the roller has been too close to the wheel and its broke a roll pin or whatever that particular mover has :unsure:

I have'n heard of spindle damage before

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Another way to avoid the caravan running backwards is to reverse the caravan onto the the levelling ramp. The handbrake will hold it this way.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Will let you know the eventual outcome just for interest!

In fact, since your posting our mover was not behaving well, so rang Powrtouch and they've been out and fixed it - fitted a new motor as the bearings had gone. Great service. Thanks Powrtouch

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde